Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

siteNew Players

OldTowner

Originally Posted By: Steph
Both Charlie and Andre fill me with more confidence than Chopper in his later years.

Steph you old wag, behave!

If by any stretch of the immagination you are serious, Im sending the men in white coats over to you at the next game!!

Originally Posted By: Jim Cunneen
[Yes he has used 38 players tis season - he used 36 players last season and the rule of thumb is about 38 per season....

League alone it is already 36 this season, same as last season, previous seasons were 32, 30, 32, 35, & 33.

Would be intresting to compare with other top four finishers in previous seasons, just appears to be high, but maybe at this level with players work commitments its not.

In response to lovely stuff and Gazza, my comments about Magona were somewhat tonge in cheek - no-one is every going to seriously think of him as cultured grin

Well done Town on getting the 3 points tonight. The wind didn't allow for much football to be played, but it was a good battling performance and the boys really worked hard and stuck to the task in the 2nd half having got our noses in front, and got the all important 2 goal cushion (unlike Northwood). They showed the passion and committment that Lovely Stuff is always craving wink Well done Mr.Deane on getting the all important goals - he is a very good acquisition, and one of the quickest players I've seen in a Town shirt for quite a while, whilst Greg had a good, solid game, and won everything in the air.

If Nay had got luckier and put his chance away late on, would have been a good end to the best bit of play throughout the match.

Shame about Kofi getting sent off (thought he was probably one of the better players tonight), and the 3 match ban that I assume will follow, especially as Ticks also went off injured - hopefully it isn't too serious? Broken nose?

Wasn't a game for Stevie.V, who yes is very much cultured, and JC made a good decision to bring on Campbell I thought with 15-20 mins to play. Nice to see B&H back, even though he did seem a little off the pace in the 1st half, got better as the game progressed. AJ did very well and worked hard when he came on, as did Jamie Nay and Bast. Harvey was an unsung hero tonight so to speak - didn't do much wrong and made the right decisions at the back.

Thought the ref had a very mixed game - good in spells, but when he was poor, he was poor, especially when taking the easy option when Deane was brought down/held back when he got in behind in the 2nd half, and asking players to go off the field when not receiving any treatment?? Not a good game for the disciplinary side of things, but I shan't dwell on that after a victory - we just need to show more restraint.

Up the Town!! bounce

Next up Edgware - anyone predicting a draw? They got another one tonight against Ware, best result for us!!

Barely a post goes by without you championing Glen Harvey.Are you a relative or a friend of the lad?

I personally feel he is a solid enough squad player,but has not done enough to suggest he should currently be in the starting 11 when everyone is fit and available for selection.He had a poor game on saturday (admitedly out of position in centre midfield).His lack of pace and heading ability were shown up against Dartford whilst playing a centre back.For me he would only be viable in a 5-3-2 formation playing on the left hand side of three man central defense.Don't get me wrong.The lad is a committed,competent and composed player, who would be a good choice as utility cover along the back line.Personally at present he wouldn't get my vote for a starting place over the likes of Gant,Tickner,Heald ..etc

Not a friend, not a relative, probably the only reason I give him so much praise on here is that nobody else seems to rate him. In all the games he's played for us since he started against Brentwood, I can only remember him making a couple of mistakes. That's what you want from your defence above all else as far as I'm concerned. I don't really argue that Gant, Heald and Tickner are all picks above him, but with the number of yellow cards and injuries we get, are they all going to be fit at the same time? Meantime, Glenn continues to be fit, available, and consistently tidy sweeping up behind the two centre halves in front of him, whoever they are.

Haha, this is turning into handbags at two paces!! duel

I'm starting to think that maybe you don't like Glen Harvey one little bit?

Still, did i mention he was Man of the Match on Tuesday? yay

Different type of player to Heald and Tickner, and is important in that sweeper role!! Yes Gant probably would be the more ideal option, but he is as lucky with injuries as Ledley King. I can't believe you question so strongly the fact that I rate him? - I shall repeat, I only give him good coverage because you lot do him such an injustice half of the time - I know he isn't a world beater and never said he was my Man of the Match every week.

Who's error was it that led to Clarke's goal on Saturday out of interest?

I've got nothing against the lad at all.I think he's a decent player.I just find it hard to see him as a regular first choice starter.There are quicker defenders at the club.There are better defensive headerers of the ball at the club.There are better defensive organisers at the club.There are more experienced defenders at the club.Glen is average/decent/competent in all those area.Maybe thats a strength as well as a weakness? You see that as enough to warrant a regular start.I see that as someone who can be a valuable utility squad member,rather than a regular first choice.But as you say, with constant injuries ,he could well be getting a lot of games,and i would have no problem with that at all.

Originally Posted By: lovely stuff
I've got nothing against the lad at all.I think he's a decent player.I just find it hard to see him as a regular first choice starter.There are quicker defenders at the club.There are better defensive headerers of the ball at the club.There are better defensive organisers at the club.There are more experienced defenders at the club.Glen is average/decent/competent in all those area.Maybe thats a strength as well as a weakness? You see that as enough to warrant a regular start.I see that as someone who can be a valuable utility squad member,rather than a regular first choice.But as you say, with constant injuries ,he could well be getting a lot of games,and i would have no problem with that at all.

Seems to me that Glenn's one of the first picks at the moment; he's not doing a lot wrong, and has more pace than most of the competition for the shirt.

Gazza

That's the trouble you dont seem to notice players unless they are scoring or making goals. I think that is one of the problems of standing behind the goal. Try standing on the side lines for a change.

You never notice the good work that Magona does in midfield.

You never noticed the work that Kevin Riley did in midfield and defence.

Of all the posters on this board you and DHT are the ones that always see a different game to me.

I have not yet seen anything to excite me about Glen Harvey but I accept that it is early days.

To me the back line should be Gant, Tickner and Nyamah with Bastian and Paul Campbell/Jamie Nay playing wide. Magona should be in the front of the back three and then I think you have a defence that is solid and reliable. I do not see a place for Glen Harvey nor Heald in that line up except on the bench. Obviously we need cover for the three defenders and Magona due to injury and red cards and that is when Harvey and Heald should show us what they are made of.

In midfield I dont have an automatic choice for any one except, possibly Brian Hammett. I think that Valendia just swings it in front of AJ and RH as he is the most talented player in the team but there is also Lee Smith coming back to fitness and I anticipate that soon he will get his chance.

Front is Ricci Crace and Ossie Foster but if Danny Clarke is coming back that does excite me in the Finchley game he seems to have got his appetite back and certainly was a team player in that game. I think he will push Ricci for his place and I think that Ricci needs that in order to run that extra mile at times.

I actually think that the present squad is, perhaps, the most talented that we have had at the club since our formation the problem is that they dont seem to play to each other's strengths. They lack the guidance of someone like Paul Turner or Martin St Hilaire.