Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Combined Counties League referee

jayjay

Reuben Simon is in no doubt as to why there is a shortage of officials at the grassroots level, and he lays the blame supprisingly not at the players` door for showing dissent and a lack of respect to referees. But instead he lays the blame, firmly at the managers` door.

Hounslow-based Simon (pictured), who recently took charge of a few Sunday games as preparation for his return to fitness to the Combined Counties after a long lay of through injury said: “The manager dictates everything and that includes discipline within his team. If a player has a lot to say to a referee about his decisions, it has to be the manager who is to blame as that player obviously feels comfortable doing it within that team he is representing.”

Simon, a former Feltham midfielder, added: “The greatest manager of recent decades in my opinion was the great late Brian Clough, and I have heard endless stories from referees who came across his teams and they always spoke about how well behaved and disciplined they were. Why was this? Was it because Brian Clough had eleven angels? Of course not, it was simply those players knew that if they showed dissent, they did not have to worry about the referee sending them of because Mr Clough would have no hesitation in taking them off.

“If you look at how well behaved on the field Roy Keane was at Forest and compare that to when he left them, the difference is clear, and don’t forget you are supposed to calm down as you get older, not go the over way.

Brian Clough won two European Cups with little Nottingham Forest and the amount of games his team won 1-0 with free kicks were very high. How many of those free kicks were 50/50 decisions that went the way of Forest due to the discipline in the team, and therefore the referee subconsciously going in their favour when there was doubt over the decision? Of course that is something we will never know, but it`s something all intelligent managers should think about. Not forgetting, of course, the added benefit of having a team concentrating on the game rather than what the referee is doing.

“I said a few honest things to the manager of one of the Sunday teams I had agreed to referee the other day and hopefully I made him think.

“He told me that for the last six games he had only had a referee for two of those games, so I asked him if he REALLY wanted to know why? He said yes, so I said “with respect YOU are part of the reason along with lots of other managers. Because you allow your players to constantly question and moan about decisions. The only way to lead from the front is to set some examples and if it means pulling your star player of after 10 minutes for short term pain I guarantee you there will be long-term gain, because like the great Mr Clough everyone of your players will know that when you say do not show any dissent to the Referee or you will be coming off everyone of your players will know you mean it.

“And the bi-product of that will be simple, referees will get to hear about what a well disciplined team you have and soon you will have officials every week and with eleven players on the field concentrating on the game rather than the referee, surely you will have a better chance of being more successful!”

http://www.nonleaguedaily.com/news/index.php?&newsmode=FULL&nid=48302

Instead of trying to put the blame on the managers for all the problems a ref gets during a game how about getting a top flight ref to do a CCL game and see how they cope!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think for one minute that any player in this league goes out on a saturday just to argue with the ref. Constant questioning of decisions is, in my experience, usually a result of wrong decisions being given by the officials. The fact that some officials don't or won't talk to the players during a game i think only makes this situation worse.

Football is a passionate game and sometimes on the pitch all thats required from the officials is some decent man-management and a bit of common sense.

Some ref just do not know how to talk to players properly, 2 i've seen in recent weeks just shout repeatedly at the players in an aggresive manner, quite stange to see that from an official.

PS Kroons I agree the players also shout at the Ref in an aggresive manner.

The best refs are the ones who talk to the players well, I think it makes the players talk better to the refs

I have to agree and if the managers don't comply, then it is up to the club to enforce some discipline.

Managers can come and go, but at the end of the day its the club that will eventually take all the flak !

we had one ref a couple of weeks ago who called a player over to bollo ck if they spoke out of turn to him (rightly so) but then the ref spent the next 5 minutes chasing the player trying to get a reaction out of him for an excuse to flash a yellow card.

I think it has beomce worse since the FA allowed cautions to be a tick box rather than a report as before a lot of refs hated the paperwork and would try and avoid dishing out cards.

I think its very obvious that ther are a number of things that could be done to improve both the standard of refereeing and players attitude to the referee.

I think that whatever level you are playing at you are going to get a corresponding level of referee.

Of course managers have a responsibity as they have the job of preparing there team for the game. If you have a manager that is always on the refs back 9 times out of 10 the team will take the same attitude. The result of this is never an improvement in the officials performance but just the opposite as the constant pressure affects judgement.

There are others in a position of responsibility and Leagues also have assesors at many matches and these are designed to mentor referees. I'm not sure what is said to referees perhaps Krooner can oblige but if the assesment includes an objective assesment of player management than that will be positive.

I would like to think that man management should also be a regular topic at referees association meetings as I think everybody agrees the referees that are perceived as good very often make no less mistakes than others but handle the criticism well.

One think is for sure is that if the referees continue to decline in number the more inexperianced refs will be appointed to cover the middles with instructions to crack down on any kind of dissent leading to even more frustration on the part of players. Anybody that thinks that managers do not have a part to play is living in cloud cuckoo land.

john its great to have krooners slant on this but from how he has said that he handles certain situations is not the same for most CCL standard refs like T C i have all to ofton seen refs abusing there power with no recall mainly because as JR points out the club is ofton run by people like my old mum who thought that all police were honest and that none of them would lie or give you a slap its the same with refs if they say it it must be right i to would like to see a game run by 3 top officials i know

1 of the first things i would not see is the ref indicating to the lino what way to give a throw if the man is paid to do a job let him do it

It is down to all of us to play a part. From my view why should I talk to a player that only wants to moan at me and disagree with everything I do. On the flip side if I can talk to a player who wishes to talk back then fine. I hope LM will back me up on this as when he queried a decision I gave as an assistant it was done in a decent manner with both parties respecting the others opinion. There are refs around who cannot man manage but equally their are players who have no discipline what so ever. I watched a game on Sunday. The match referee gave exactly the correct decision which unfortunately resulted in a red card and the abuse he received from the touchline was a disgrace and I am still surprised he didnt abandon the game. To his credit he continued and the game went the full distance. I make mistakes but I can assure you that whenever I have seen a striker miss a penalty I have never called him a fecking kent ! Each person is different and has different reactions but they have to be within common decency.