Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Advantage not playing at home in August?

Originally Posted By: Newby67
Er, why is that?

I'd like to see more local derbies being played during the week rather than playing at difficult to get to grounds. Surely that makes sense?

My point exactly. Local teams should play during the week. Saturday fixtures should be reserved for fixtures played furthest away.

However, I think advantage is to be gained for a certain team that did not play any home fixtures in August. smile

Know who you are referring to, but surely it's a disadvantage to have to play all your early games away? Wouldn't do it myself.

You play away when the grounds are nice and new avoiding away games on cut up grounds later on in the season...

...And you welcome teams from as far as Bedford, Cranfield, Arlesey midweek [into London]on your not so good turf midweek.

I would say there is a distinct advantage.

New Bradwell - I think we are safe to play up to the 26 Apr at Copthall, we have just been lucky with the games (no long cup runs) and few postponments. In theory we would have finished the league on 12 Apr! That is up to the fixtures Sec surely?

As for this tread I have no idea who everyone is on about but heres my 2p's worth:

Sat 11 Aug - Sat 1 Sep P5 W2 L3 (1 midweek game - W)

Wheres the advantage???

The season runs from Aug - Apr and thats how long you need a team for.

Please correct me if I'm wrong Special 1 (and apologies if I am)KT and SLB are the only london teams in Div 1, We are 3rd and you are 7th - Nots not a bad season if you ask me for 2 clubs that have been running a hell of a lot less than most!

Originally Posted By: Special1

However, I think advantage is to be gained for a certain team that did not play any home fixtures in August. smile

Special1 - I think this has been touched on previously in that, as Horace rightly mentions, Kentish Town were at a huge disadvantage having to play their first eight matches, including cup ties, away from home when teams were highly charged for the new season. Remember we lost at Buckingham, Bedford and Amersham in the first month of the season, a possible nine points, or even seven, would have surely seen us home and hosed by now, although admitedly we didn't have Lee Scott then.

Willo, all I'm saying is that this makes you favourites, in my book, to get a promotion place.

If you let slip on these fixtures, you probably don't deserve to go up, as the expectation must be for you to win them.

Just like Tony Adams said on Match of the Day, teams can get jittery when they are fighting for the championship at the end of the season. smile

Ahhh, we're talking about Kentish Town... I thought it was Hoddy we were talking about, didn't play a home league match until 15th Sept (Excluding the abandoned game against Kentish)

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
Originally Posted By: Special1

Special1 - I think this has been touched on previously in that, as Horace rightly mentions, Kentish Town were at a huge disadvantage having to play their first eight matches, including cup ties, away from home when teams were highly charged for the new season. Remember we lost at Buckingham, Bedford and Amersham in the first month of the season, a possible nine points, or even seven, would have surely seen us home and hosed by now, although admitedly we didn't have Lee Scott then.

Likewise had SLB not been scheduled Hoddesdon Town, Stony Stratford Town, Haringey Borough and New Bradwell St Peter in the first seven games of the new season in a new league we may be a lot closer to you guys despite going through some major changes in 2008.

Originally Posted By: NeutralFan
Ahhh, we're talking about Kentish Town... I thought it was Hoddy we were talking about, didn't play a home league match until 15th Sept (Excluding the abandoned game against Kentish)

Despite the danger of regurgitating what already has been written in previous threads, how did you manage that? I know Kentish Town's excuse but Hoddesdon's?

We share the clubhouse and ground with the Cricket Club so we have specific cut off dates when each other have use of the facilities.