Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

An apology from the directors for tonights farce??

Last night was a needless overreaction by the board. In the event, as predicted by Aldershot,, about 800 turned up. There was plenty of room on the Swanscombe terrace for those in the main road stand, no trouble, very good ref and linos, some good banter and a fantastic game of football which was a credit to both sides and did the league proud.

Probably 100-200 stayed away in protest, and missed the best passing game we have played all year. Some stuff from both sides was sublime, a joy to watch.

A draw was the correct result.

Originally Posted By: Hempstead Gaz
Last night was a needless overreaction by the board. In the event, as predicted by Aldershot,, about 800 turned up. There was plenty of room on the Swanscombe terrace for those in the main road stand, no trouble, very good ref and linos, some good banter and a fantastic game of football which was a credit to both sides and did the league proud.
Probably 100-200 stayed away in protest, and missed the best passing game we have played all year. Some stuff from both sides was sublime, a joy to watch.
I agree,top notch.

Originally Posted By: John Pearce
I am being deafened by the silence.

No admission that they got it wrong, no apology to supporters ... We can only wait with baited breath!!!

You might have to wait quite a while as I'm not sure we still have any directors.

why should they apologise?! If they have been told alot of shots are going to turn up because there is a chance they are being promoted they should make room for them! what would happen if they made no more room and too many turned up?! all that would happen would be us losing revenue!

yea i heard people stayed away because of it but in my eyes thats just stuborn! just come watch ur team no matter what they are called or were ur standing just come support the fleet!!!!

Originally Posted By: Hempstead Gaz

Absolutely.

It would have been an unfair reflection, if they'd held on for the win. We deserved at least a point for the superior chances we created. On these & possession, we could claim to have been the better team on the night - but, God, are they good when they go forward at pace.

An absolute cracker of a game; if all our matches were like the last 3 against the Shots we'd never moan about low attendances again.

As explained in yesterday's announcement the matter is ultimately out of the club's control.

The frustation and anger is understandable and where criticism is justified or an apology needed from the club then that should be the case. However, in this instance, there is absolutely nothing the club could have done re the segregation other than refused to comply with the safety authorities advice. If this had been done the ground would have had its' safety certificate removed and there would be no football at Stonebridge Road.

The club needs to and wants to work very closely with the safety authorities and enjoys a healthy relationship. The police also make great efforts to ensure policing costs are kept to a minimum. If we don't always agree with a decision, and it must be said last night was a mixture of very exceptional circumstances, then so be it; but we must recognise their responsibilities and difficulty of their task especially in managing such an old ground.

Regards,

Brian Kilcullen

You missed the whole point mate !

First thing yesterday morning there was no-where for Fleet fans to stand and watch under cover. That was everyone's issue. If it had started how it ended, with a sensible split, everyone would have been fine.

And, I'm sorry but a lot of people were and are very proud of their team and its identity. You are in a minority.

First thing yesterday morning there was no-where for Fleet fans to stand and watch under cover. That was everyone's issue. If it had started how it ended, with a sensible split, everyone would have been fine.

And, I'm sorry but a lot of people were and are very proud of their team and its identity. You are in a minority.

Originally Posted By: Riverview Red

I think you will find that the sensible split was only made possible after the Club went back to the safety authorities with the offer to pay for more police & stewards. It obviously took time to consult & decide this could be paid for; my guess is Brian & several other directors (whom you are so keen to criticise) put their hands in their pockets.

If you are proud of your team, why not reflect this in some of your postings? As for your last sentence - oh the beautiful irony of it!

BT

Hasn't anyone told you that you don't need to keep sucking up anymore, there will be a new Board soon.

This is an open forum where everyone can express their "own opinions" not something which is policed by some kind of "only say things that agree with the bosses" appreciation society.

You need to remember that, and stop keep chastising people who have differing views to those of yourself and those who want to follow the club line.

We're all supporters for all the right reasons, but we can comment on anything we wish. Instead of having a go at other peoples opions, have some of your own!

And, by the way you are wrong, the change in crowd control method WAS changed after all the angry calls and local radio coverage. The extra policing etc came after a PR own goal had been admitted !

Hasn't anyone told you that you don't need to keep sucking up anymore, there will be a new Board soon.

"Sucking up?" I thought you were a grown man with children. Even by your standards this is childish in the extreme.

This is an open forum where everyone can express their "own opinions" not something which is policed by some kind of "only say things that agree with the bosses" appreciation society.

You need to remember that, and stop keep chastising people who have differing views to those of yourself and those who want to follow the club line.

We're all supporters for all the right reasons, but we can comment on anything we wish. Instead of having a go at other peoples opions, have some of your own!

Classic Conspiracy theory mentality of the critics. 1. Anyone who challenges their views is trying to shut them up. What? I suggested that you commented on how well the team are playing, along with your attacks on the Board. I never said you weren't entitled to criticise. 2. Anyone who is positive, has no opinions. No - they are just different to yours. 3. The "Rose Tinted Spectacle Brigade" insist they are always right. When will you guys wake up to the fact that is you, not us, who insist you are always divinely right, in the majority & the only ones with functioning brain cells?

And, by the way you are wrong, the change in crowd control method WAS changed after all the angry calls and local radio coverage. The extra policing etc came after a PR own goal had been admitted !

Maybe the reaction gave the Board a jolt which led to their stumping up the extra policing money; maybe they weren't happy from the start, got together, agreed to find the money & got back to the authorities; maybe it was a mixture of the 2. You cannot claim your version is the one that has to be true. Oh - and by the way - after the initial less than helpful posting on the official site, I sent off an email to the Club, that night, saying I was less than happy with the arrangements & that they owed it to their supporters to explain fully the rationale behind it.

If I have identified you correctly, you used to be on the board, Lionel, & are bitter about the way the current, yes soon to be replaced Board, have done things. This shapes your judgement. Things were not better in the past. The footabll was mostly pretty dire, but times were difficult & you & the other Board members did the best they could. Your dad saved the Club, no doubt about it. But times have moved on. We all have to move on.

BT

Originally Posted By: BrianK
The police also make great efforts to ensure policing costs are kept to a minimum.

There didn't seem to be much "effort" after the final whistle last night when about 20 strung themselves across the half way line in 2 rows.

Didn't see any outside the ground though - surely, if there was going to be any trouble thats where it would have kicked off.