Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

No I didn't see all of it however I did hear that the Norwegian Referee was well out of his depth, you have to question the decision in giving a relatively inexperienced Official a game of that magnitude. The worst Referee I have seen this season, and possibly ever, was in the Alec Smith Middlesex County League Premier Division Cup Final last month between Hayes United and Bethnal Green United however Mr Franklin ran him very close on Tuesday.

A very poor display. But suggestions of cheating were well wide of the mark. At the time Barcelona equalised they only had ten men on the field. The red card awarded for a somewhat innocuous foul. Surely if the referee had been deliberately favouring one side, he would have allowed Barcelona to continue with their full compliment. He simply had a bad day at the office. Albeit one that ultimately cost Chelsea dearly !

Surely this was the case with Mr Franklin in the Tilbury v Royston fixture ?

Okay, let's get some perspective here. Stuart Franklin is a young referee who has made rapid progress in the past couple of years. Perhaps he is progressing a bit faster than is good for him, but that's only my personal opinion. The game at Tilbury was not one of his better games but, apart from some confusion over a free kick when it was unclear which way the decision had been given (more down to the lino not flagging properly) and then allowing the kick to be taken before anybody, including himself, were ready, he didn't have the worse game I've ever seen either.

I didn't think the first goal was offside but, even if it was, it was the lino's call not the ref's and it was far too close a decision for the ref to overrule. As for the incident when Craig Hammond collided with Chopper outside the box, my neutral opinion is that Hammond was heading away from goal, took a heavy touch when knocking it past the goalie and took a forward tumble when the minimal contact he received should have sent him falling backwards momentum-wise, i.e. he tried to make the most of the situation. As contact was made, the decision to show Chopper a yellow card was not unreasonable one but certainly not deserving of any more than that. (If Chopper is reading this thread, his take on the incident would be interesting).

As for being pally with the home side, what our "limited knowledge 'friend' from Tottenham" doesn't understand is that, in small competitions such as the East Anglian Cup, it is down to a Referees Secretary to appoint and, in most cases, these people will only have a limited number of match officials to choose from and there is little point in making officials travel vast distances for such games. It is, therefore, quite common for a referee to officiate the same side more than once in the same season. It will also then follow that he is going to know more players names in the side that's 10 miles down the road from him that he's already officiated, than he is from a side 50 miles away in a neighbouring county. Close proximity of referees to the home club is a more common occurrence than most people realise and even happens in as high profile a competition as the FA Youth Cup.

Anyway, I'm sure that certain comments in this thread will be brought to Mr. Franklin's attention before too long, as well as the fact that they were made by an existing club officer...

Originally Posted By: Conrad
A very poor display. But suggestions of cheating were well wide of the mark. At the time Barcelona equalised they only had ten men on the field. The red card awarded for a somewhat innocuous foul. Surely if the referee had been deliberately favouring one side, he would have allowed Barcelona to continue with their full compliment. He simply had a bad day at the office. Albeit one that ultimately cost Chelsea dearly !
Surely this was the case with Mr Franklin in the Tilbury v Royston fixture ?
What it's worth, I thought he got the sending off decision right; Anelka was through on goal otherwise and by the letter of the law ...

The Chelsea penalty appeals did seem clear cut to me (I am not a Chelsea supporter by the way).

The shirt pull on Drogba was clear to see but it was the defender's left leg that that crosses his path with no attempt to play the ball and brings him down.

Of the 2 handball appeals Piquet's one is easily identifiable as a penalty - Anelka has got a clear goalscoring opportunity if the ball had cleared the defender extended hand. The Ballack appeal is again quite clear cut as the player extends his arm while looking at the ball and then turns his head as the ball is hit in his direction.

The Daniel Alves challenge on Malouda is another obvious one - everything points it being inside the area and therefore a penalty.

I, for one, can't understand why technology isn't used in these games - it takes just a few seconds to review a decision like that.

The Respect campaign is full of holes until the officials are made responsible for their decisions. Respect is not a label, it is something that has to be earnt. Just as referees have to make reports when there is a sending off, they should provide a report for every major decision made - penalty claims, yellow cards, disallowed goals - and if a mistake is proven, they should be made accountable. This accountability is what is needed for the Respect campaign to work.

The players reactions after the game, I am against. But maybe this reaction would not be so strong if the players knew the referee's performance would be analysed and reasons given for the decision's made.

Originally Posted By: Football Man

Okay, let's get some perspective here. Stuart Franklin is a young referee who has made rapid progress in the past couple of years. Perhaps he is progressing a bit faster than is good for him

That's the trouble with Referees who are still very much wet behind the ears but progress far too quickly for their own good, usually through who they know rather than what they know. I thought that about Ben Furneaux once however he has gone up in my estimation lately and is an exception to the rule.

I wanted to go to Chelsea the other day so i punched it into my SatNav. I think its on the blink though cos it said Chelsea was just 2 minutes from Rome. Strange!!

• 2 weeks later...

Royston Town held their presentation at Garden Walk last night and what a night was had by all, Craig Hammond walked away with two prestigious awards but the highlight of the night had to be him and Paul Attfield dancing the night away on the dancefloor lol. The event was held in a giant Marquee on the hallowed Garden Walk turf and attended by some 200 people, I'm sure the Watchfull Listener will be on later as he was there although unfortunately our paths didn't cross.

• 2 weeks later...

I see Royston Town have announced their pre-season programme and a provisional date of 1 August has been set for their Herts Charity Shield tie at Hertford Town:

http://www.royston-crow.co.uk/content/crow/sport/default.aspx

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
I see Royston Town have announced their pre-season programme and a provisional date of 1 August has been set for their Herts Charity Shield tie at Hertford Town:

If you're going to succeed as a newshound, make sure your facts are approximately right! A quick look at www.hertfordtownfc.co.uk will confim that an actual date of Thursday 30 July 2009 has been set for this tie.

• 1 month later...
Quote:

12 July

I note from the on-line version of the Royston Crow that the SSML fixtures will be out next week, no doubt Horace will alert us as soon as they hit the streets:

• 3 weeks later...
Quote:

Essex Senior League club Stansted have confirmed to nonleaguedaily that the date for their home FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round tie with Molten Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division side Royston Town has been changed.

Scheduled to be played on Saturday 15th August, the tie will now be played on Sunday, 16th August with the match venue being Woodside Park, home of Blue Square South neighbours Bishop`s Stortford (kick-off 3pm).

An interesting development, do we know why both the date and the venue have been changed.

I see Paul Attfield is all over the Non League Today Website like a rash, I take back what I said earlier about Eric Cantana and Steven Gerard:

http://www.nonleaguedaily.com/news/index.php?&newsmode=FULL&nid=59843

Dave - Congratulations on your convincing win last night, were you there. Can you really see, hand on heart, Ryan Wade filling Craig Hammond's size twelves this season.

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
Dave - Congratulations on your convincing win last night, were you there. Can you really see, hand on heart, Ryan Wade filling Craig Hammond's size twelves this season.

Wadey only takes a size 6 !!