Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Let's get Defencive

OldTowner

Last nights game v Cheshunt showed that we can play well going forward, BUT.

All good teams start their work from the back and build strength in midfield and then forwards.

Closing down by the forwards is fine, but the back 4 or 5 including keeper need to be strong.

18 goals conceeded in 6 league games ( 21 in 7 total ) tells it's own story. Defencively Town MUST IMPROVE.

Sure the last goal last night was a howler by Wills, it happens, but for me he is always likely to be beaten in games as he does not show any authority in his box and I am sure the defence are nervous with him behind them.

As for the back 4 only Bastian can hold his head up.

Why do the Management team persist with Harvey at right back. He was poor against both Tilbury and last night. What has happened to Williams ?

In my opinion Tickner and Campbell will never be a back two pair.

Most people have a view on Tickner's capability. Some say he should not even be at the Club !

As for Paul Campbell - a great servant to the Club ( at right back or right mid-field ) when was he ever a centre half ??

No way should he be in that position.

The Tickner / Campbell pairing have conceeded 12 goals in 4 games. Enough said.

So many times last night the defence cleared the ball straight to the oncoming Cheshunt midfield who collected ball after ball to set up another forward move. Town created pressure upon themselves.

The overall forward play seems to be getting better, but defencively we have a lot of work to do.

Why did Whatley not play ( or at least come on at half time )? If he was fit for the bench he should be fit to start or not be there.

Overall, defence need to be right...then build forward.

Let's hope there is improvement at the back soon.

In midfield, a fit Dauti will improve things 100%.

I 100% agree with you OldTowner. I thought rio, rudi, tickner, harvey and cambell were all appalling! i know the 3rd was keeper error, but the other 2 one on ones..... Where were the centre halves? They were lazy and incompetent.

There isn't any way our club can move forward without replacing at least some of these players. I'm beginning to question wether or not the management can see this. I apreciate that this was a very spirrited performance and by far a huge improvement in attitude by all the players, however, with the players we have in defence, the only way is down i'm afraid.

Do not agree Mick. The two one on ones were down to the full backs getting drawn out of position. The first goal saw Cheshunt's winger cut inside, Dave Bastian tracked his run, and no-one picked up Bradford when he made a run into the vacated left back area. The second goal saw Glenn Harvey caught out of position by another Bradford run. I feel that a rethink in the centre of midfield may be a better fix, to cut down the number of times that teams can attack our back four. The deployment of an unglamorous defensive midfielder (not sure who) may be the way forward.

At the back, the imminent return of Wattley and possible arrival of Okikiolou (remember him?) might help. I feel that our problem is, however, one of systems not personnel.

So what's wrong with the defence?

Lack of ability.

Player's playing out of 'their' position.

Poor communication.

Role confusion.

Inexperience.

Lack of leadership in the Back 4.

Lack of communication from the goalkeeper.

Loose midfield.

I agree strongly with OldTowner in that all successful teams are built on a solid defence that starts with your Forwards playing a defensive role on loss of possession while in attack.

Sign of a good side is where the defence shows poise under pressure and works on clearing the ball but maintaining possession as well. Might have to go up a few levels to find that.

Watched Australia beat Netherlands 2-1 in a Friendly on Saturday (they play Uzbekhistan in a World Cup Qualifier tonight)and it was the first time I have ever seen them 'comfortable' in Defence.

Up to the Coach to identify the weaknesses and work on them.

I'm with FJ on this one - whilst I think that Campbell and Tickner as a centre back pairing is far from ideal, it's the fact that the defence as a whole is getting exposed far too often that's the root of the problems. If we're losing the ball in the middle of the park and getting overrun, we will get pulled out of shape, as defenders have to cover gaps / runs that might not be their responsibility.

If we kept the ball better in midfield, and dominated / won a lot more, the defence would be able to play much better as a unit, and wouldn

I'm with FJ as well and feel that OT and Mick are a little too extreme with there views however correct in the outlook, if that makes sense.

We need to manage the current situation b4 us, which is, that we have been sh1te the first 5 games beyond recognition of recent Town teams.

We are now progressing and yes sought out the defence, the changes I see are Harvey and Tickner out, Campbell right back and 2 centre halves that can be dominant athletic and solid.

No game this weekend, I suggest a friendly with 2 new c/halve pairings as a priority experiment and to give Dauti, Whatley and whoever else a good 90 min run out

Originally Posted By: OldTowner
E U
We should get the supporters together as a team.
Let's face it, we are all good at Managing - so why not play !!

I'm all for it especially a vets team i.e 35+ team. But typically I'm afraid I could'ny organise it but can contribute to it i.e money, and play, due to personal circumstances, work and the fact I run my sons team already, so your its all yours OT your the Gaffer

Ive tried to raise this subject before with the old Enfield Supporters team references but it fell on deaf ears.

We have a team at the Abbey of over 35's, in fact mainly over 45's and would be willing to have a match. We just play about 10 games a year. If anyone is serious we could get something arranged? Happy knows me and Arkwright and I dare say half the rest of you.

Just heard that Ilford are looking for a friendly this weekend, I think it'll be a good idea that we play them and try and sort out the defensive frailties and getting the right side kick for Rudi in midfield.

They want to play on the Monday at there place, so a good training session on Saturday and a good workout on Monday, we need to sort the defence out in live situations.

Originally Posted By: abbeynut
Ive tried to raise this subject before with the old Enfield Supporters team references but it fell on deaf ears.

We have a team at the Abbey of over 35's, in fact mainly over 45's and would be willing to have a match. We just play about 10 games a year. If anyone is serious we could get something arranged? Happy knows me and Arkwright and I dare say half the rest of you.

Where would we play? If you can get a guaranteed venue (like on the actual footy pitch) where maybe we can get the boys section playing each other i.e U8's upwards to the U15's we can finish it off with a vets game and make it a day thing for a charitable cause i.e cancer research, we can charge a nominal fee for entry, have a raffle jumping castles etc. Maybe on the Easter Weekend or Xmas blank weekend or just an end of season activity, just a thought, if my boards reading this then I'm all for this

Originally Posted By: Enfield United
Originally Posted By: abbeynut

Where would we play? If you can get a guaranteed venue (like on the actual footy pitch) where maybe we can get the boys section playing each other i.e U8's upwards to the U15's we can finish it off with a vets game and make it a day thing for a charitable cause i.e cancer research, we can charge a nominal fee for entry, have a raffle jumping castles etc. Maybe on the Easter Weekend or Xmas blank weekend or just an end of season activity, just a thought, if my boards reading this then I'm all for this

Providing we organise this properly, this is a great idea. We had links with Harlow Town before and did something similar. End of season is more realistic I would think. Again providing all is organised properly between us I'm sure I could guarantee the venue, I do know a few people!!! Failing this, as I said before we are up for game if people fancy a beer match so to speak.