Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Stadium Move

Pretty Vacant

I'm very confused about all of this. Almost since the club was formed, it was clear to all that the clubs intention was to hopefully, eventually, move on from Brimsdown. Ideally to the QE2 stadium, or whatever it's called. In those 8 years or so, there has been ample opportunity for members to find a voice and vote otherwise. Now that move may be coming closer to fruition, people are saying they don't want that?

I know that there is an issue with a running track here, and people are citing a lack of atmosphere. There was never a lack of that when EFC ever played at Sutton United, I seem to recall, but perhaps people can correct me on that. Atmosphere is dictated by crowds, not by running tracks.

This brings me on to where I think people should see the greater picture. Having canvased publicly to be included in the new stadium's plans, how churlish (and downright stupid) would we look to the public of Enfield if we were to down the offer because we don't want to share with an athletics club.

For ETFC to move on it needs either a money man to take over the club, or a move to a permanent base where we can establish income streams such as bars/hospitality. In the absence of both, we'll stand still.

Supporters need a reality check. We are not a big club (cue comment from Abbey people). EFC were probably the lowest supported teams of all the Conference winners in the eighties, bar possibly Altrincham. ETFC draw 200 ish a match, that won't improve dramatically whilst we remain at Brimsdown. I have read comments posted that we should buy out Brimsdown (how does that sit coming from a fans owned community based club) and also that the Council 'owe' us (what exactly?).

I agree that some things need to be clarified regarding this 'offer' from the council, but if we decline it outright because of a running track, we will remain as we are. Say goodbye to any planning permission being granted by the Council for any future developments at Brimsdown and say hello to 1983 or whatever they are called moving in to the QE2. Whilst they remain in Ware, they are not a threat. Allow them to move back to Enfield, and that immediately impacts on our sponsorship income etc. Just why do you think they are so keen to be included in the development?

Director bashing seems very popular at the moment. Don't knock ours for delivering what, seemingly, the fans wanted. If you do disagree that strongly, mobilise yourself, arrange an egm and replace the present board. Don't just snipe on the message board though, as only our rivals will benefit from such visible infighting.

With that he lit the blue touchpaper, and retired to a safe distance.

I agree totally Mr V. I just wish that I had read this thread before all the others. When Martin rang me last night to talk about the Hillingdon game I was really pleased and it seems a really major step forward. Yes I know I don't get up to home games and have taken on other committments - but don't anyone ever doubt where my heart lies.

Originally Posted By: Duke of York
Like some other Town supporters I would prefer it if ETFC went to the QE Stadium with a view to developing the ground without the running track....

A while, maybe even some years ago, that was the preference of all Town fans Duke, myself included, however it seems a number of what id call "hard core" fans are now singing from a diffrent hymn book, which they are more than entitled to do of course, but i for one would "still" prefer not to have a track around a football pitch.

Again looking to the future, what happens if & i know its a big if, we were to get the two promotions needed for conference football, which before you all shout, is our main aim as a club, or was unless thats changed too.

When all is said & done no Town fan will surely turn down the move to QE stadium, but that does not stop fans disagreeing with the principles of what is being changed from what was originally planned.

Some of us remember the day and evenings at Gander Green Lane poor attendances, no atmmosphere, but good tea bar, one of the last with Hitchin to serve tea in real mugs !

Whilst I agree with the analysis that we will not be able to get large umbers of fans into Brimsdwon, I really can't agree that a move to Queen Elizabeth Stadium will be the catalyst for increasing numbers. Enfield has not had enough fans of non league football for over twenty years, why do we suppose things will get better ? We will never, in my view, be able to compete at the highest level of non league, there just isn't the financial strength to generate the resource needd to compete with the conference teams.

I hope I am wrong, I have supported EFC and ETFC (combined)for over 40 years but I do not welcome the thought of watching football from a distance, across eight lanes of wilderness. Standing behind the goal and getting close to the action is part of the experience. I will not be there by the running track. I hope, very much, that the board is right, I wish them well and ETFC every success. I am, however, concerned that they are being seduced by the joint partnership with the council, 1893, rugby club and athletic club and entering into parnerships where we will have little control over our own destiny is a recipe for longer trem disaster.

I do hope I am wrong !

Thank you PV, I agree totally and in fact I agree with you having mentioned similar opinions on the other threads.

Some of our supporters (and I dont mean to offend) have Chav like tendencies i.e we are homeless and without a roof over our heads other than squatting locally. The council may offer us a new home to start a new life in and have our future prosperity considerably enhanced, however, we want double glazing, hardwood flooring and a Plazma chucked in.

All I want is a home we can call our own, if we need to tinker with our presentation then so be it, every plan needs a bit of re-adjusting to fit in, Wembley, Olympic Stadia and the Emirates included.

So I propose that if we get offered the QE, we all unite, get together, back our team and support our board to continue the amazing strides we have done to date, and that includes all of us.

We are only 6-7ish years old and we are chatting about having our own community Stadium, I think some need a reality check of almighty proportion.

I can confirm I will be watching, if not helping out, if required, should we move to the QE as we will get bigger numbers coming through the turnstiles, cos QE is more accessible than Brimmo.

And by the way, we had 700-900 people coming to the Southbury Road ground, with 1000+ for the bigger games. I remember a gate of 1,200+ on a misereable night watching a league cup semi v's Runcorn in midweek. Yes their were clubs with bigger gates, but we were middle of the road.

However since the demise of EFC which began b4 1999, Sky have given the non league a higher profile and the affordability compared to the professional rip off clubs now encourages more locals to attend grass roots footy.

Therefore a Central Stadium, a higher division, good family/bar facilities and we'll start getting bigger crowds than you think.

Mind you everyone, Brighton & HA beat Man City in the two bob cup the other night on pens, their was 9,000 people there and five live described the atmosphere as electric.

A running track is not ideal and we dont want it, but a great atmosphere can be created for the correct performances and big games.

The old Wembley never lacked a great atmosphere it was just a neglected stadium.

I don't know whether I support a 'deal' for the QES or not as I don't know what it is, if indeed there is to be an offer made to us. Who would we be sharing with? Who has control over what? Who gets the income from bars, food, lettings etc?

I have always said that the QES is the ideal home for ETFC - it's practically Southbury Road - but I did not envisage the track or being one of several users. At least at Brimmo we have a joint lease.

Totally agree with PV's comments.They are well argued and make a lot of sense.Whatever their faults,and they have a few,the elected ETFC board members have worked very hard to get us this far with the QE Stadium project,and deserve our full support as they endeavour to drive this forward to a successful conclusion.Whilst personally I don't particularly like running tracks around a football pitch,I am sure this is positive move,and a giant stide forward for 'The Town',in its relatively short history,and believe better,more up-to-date modern facilities,will help attract more support and sponsorship,and further raise our profile in the local area.Think this is a time for feeling excited and positive about our future.With regard to atmosphere,the noise at Brighton's Withdean Stadium the other night was awesome,which goes to prove that if there is plenty to shout about the fans will get behind their team, and shout the house down,even if it is from behind a running track.I don't think we are any different - do you?