Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Change the team?

marti

Does anone else feel that Liam Daish should make some changes for Saturdays game?

Every player is entitled to a bad game, but I feel Long has been off form all season even his dead ball kicks have not been beating the 1st man! Why is it he is not droped or substituted?

Barratt has been scoring goals, but has done little else throughout games other than that, in my opinion, and on Tuesday gave the Eastbourne number eight the freedom of the park!

Gash had a reasonable game but needs a partner playing up alongside him! Moore should be played up as a partner to give a twin spearhead.

The back four have looked reasonable steady in recent games apart from Tuesday but considering woking came for a point at most and didnt really worry the defence at all maybe Pooley should be given a chance, or Smith, as Charles has looked ok but at times has seemed to be caught out not reading the game but has made up for it with redeeming himself using his pace!

Stone maybe should be brought back after his injury in place of Barratt to see how two passing players (Hand, Stone) compliment each other. Maybe even in place of Long as tinkering with right hand side of midfield is a lesser problem than the left hand side!

I think I said on the Eastbourne Commentary thread that when I come back to Fleet home games, I still stand beside a group of 7/8 people who I know have been going for years. The feeling on Tuesday night was why Long was on the park. I accept players go through up and downs but Long did nothing much. Some changes may be needed at time to freshen up the team, and Diash has said he now has quite a strong squad he feels. I feel we need another striker, Gash does look a handful, but Moore is not out and out. Be interesting to see the team which starts on Saturday, feel they need at least 4 points from the next two away games to keep the season going along. :-)

Originally Posted By: marti
Strange Hempstead Gaz you put based on form and include Barratt and Long? Do you mean those that are not on form should play?

I agree that Stacy has been below par lately and could maybe do with a rest, but we have not got a great deal of strength on the left. Maybe Danny could be used there as he is two footed and his workrate, touch and vision make him capable of playing on either flank.

However, I could not disagree with you more concerning Barrett. He has good touch and gets through a great deal of work and his late runs into the box to support the forwards give us something that we otherwise lack. Yes, he was not at his best on Tuesday, but in my opinion he has been a real revelation this season.

Still, each to their own

In need of a rest after ten games of a long hard season? If this is the case the squad needs to double in size! Or maybe it is that he feels that he will not be dropped alondside Daish feels there is no one else at the moment that can fill that position?

As for Barratt i believe you may be blinkered by the goals he has been getting rather than his overall performance.

True Tuesday he was not at his best along with several other players. But I also feel his performance against Woking was in the same bracket apart from the goal he did very little and allowed his opposite number to much freedom, and was helped in the fact that Woking were not interested in pushing forward too much, and that Hand had such a good game to hide the mediocre performance of Barratt.

Pooley and Smith might be worth a go - depends on McCarthy's fitness - only he and Liam know that - if he feels good keep him in.

Re Long - just needs a bit of a confidence boost .. he will come good.

Slatter worth a start on right side tho - hes a bit like McPhee there and better than Shakes to start a game.

Lukey should also return up front ...

As for Barratt i believe you may be blinkered by the goals he has been getting rather than his overall performance.

I agree with the others. Barrett should stay in. And not just because of his goals. Against Cambridge for example he was always getting forward, always getting involved, a constant threat - and Hand's holding role has enabled him to do this. He's getting the goals that Long got last season and isn't getting this year, so to drop him on the basis of one poor game when's he's been (in my opinion) otherwise decent is harsh.

In need of a rest after ten games of a long hard season?

I was probably being too kind to Stacy by saying 'give him a rest'. It just sounds better than drop him but amounts to the same thing

And I do not think that I am blinkered by Barrett's goals, I truly think he has been very good this year (Tuesday night notwithstanding). And looking at the rest of the posts, I am not the only one who thinks this.

As I said, it is all about opinions, I respect yours, I just don't agree with it.

Also, as far as Ricketts is concerned, again another one who had a poor game Tuesday, but it was only a few games ago when people were saying how much he improved the defence when compare to Pete Hawkins. If we are looking at a full back that has had a shaky start to the season then we should look at Sacha before we look at Ricko.

Originally Posted By: Hempstead Gaz
Bazza stays because 1 poor game does not equal poor form.

That being the case, why has Ricketts been totally omitted from your XVI?

He wasn't at his best on Tuesday, but it's no exaggeration to say that it's arguably the first time you can say this since he joined the club. Put simply, he's long been the most consistent player in the squad for me, so I think he can be excused one relative off day.

Not everyone is firing on all cylinders, but some of the wholesale changes being suggested in this thread to a side tenth in a congested table are somewhat risible.

I'm not the only person that feels Sasha has had a few poor games recently, he has been misplacing passes regularly, his crossing has been bad to say the least and he has been caught out of position a number of times. Sasha is a firm fans favourite with us supporters but he needs to pick it up if he is to keep his place. I'm sure that he is dissapointed with some performances and will be wanting to get back to his high standards, because he is a great player and feels passionately about the club.

Originally Posted By: jc
Originally Posted By: Hempstead Gaz
Bazza stays because 1 poor game does not equal poor form.

That being the case, why has Ricketts been totally omitted from your XVI?

He wasn't at his best on Tuesday, but it's no exaggeration to say that it's arguably the first time you can say this since he joined the club. Put simply, he's long been the most consistent player in the squad for me, so I think he can be excused one relative off day.

Not everyone is firing on all cylinders, but some of the wholesale changes being suggested in this thread to a side tenth in a congested table are somewhat risible.

I think "wasn't at his best" is putting it mildly, to say the least JC. He was truly dreadful. It might be he wasn't feeling that good, I simply do not know.
But that wasn't the Ricketts who is so reliable and dependable.
Hawkins and Shakes were dropped after mediocre showings, so LD showed he is prepared to ring the changes where necessary.
In Long's case, apart from Purcell (who seems out of favour, (if you listen to rumour) ,there is no obvious replacement. However, with Ricko,there is Pooley to offer as a straight swop.
I will listen to debate, but "my" team isn't wildly different from a full strength line up, so cannot be considered as one with wholesale changes, nor can playing Pooley, Smith and Slatter be 'risable' selections, as each could be considered quality Conference players and regular first team material.