Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Canvey Island Vs Maidstone Utd

Matt H

Credit to Maidstone fans, even they admitted the ref was awful.

Decent match report and good to see they were honest regarding the handball.

I only assume that as many people thought there might've been some conflicts of interest after the final whistle, Paul got in their quick to snap the action if anything did happen.

Originally Posted By: Matt CIFC
I only assume that as many people thought there might've been some conflicts of interest after the final whistle, Paul got in their quick to snap the action if anything did happen.

Programme cover shot smile

Na, I think we're being a bit harsh on the ref, he had a good game all in all wink

450 people saw it was a blatent handball i would like to know what the ref was actually watching as he obviously wasnt watching the ball. Then again this ref probebly did see it but as previously when he has reffed games here we dont get anything from him. We should ask the league not to send this incompitent ref(or cheat) to any more of our games, as i can see somebody over reacting and doing something they might regret.

I WAS TAKEN TO MY FIRST MATCH WHEN I WAS 4 IN 1967 I HAVE SEEN INTERNATIONALS DOWN TO KIDS ON A SUNDAY AND THAT WAS NOT BAD REFEREEING THAT WAS THE MOST CORRUPT REFEREE I HAVE EVER SEEN THERE HAS TO BE SOME WAY TO REPORT HIM I AM SO LAID BACK BUT I WANTED TO KILL HIM.

MY OTHER WORRY IS OUR ATTACK LOTS OF WORK AND TOUCHES BUT NO REAL THREAT IS IT A CASE OF GETTING USE TO EACH OTHER 6 GOALS IN 6 MATCHES AND ONLY ONE FROM A STRIKER I LOVED ANTOINE BUT JUST HAVENT GOT INTO JAMES ROWE YET

Originally Posted By: haynab66
I LOVED ANTOINE BUT JUST HAVENT GOT INTO JAMES ROWE YET

Antoine was a good player but too injury prone.

Rowe is a great player, however he suffers the same trouble as players in his mould, if the service drys up so does the goals.

Granted Rowe should've scored at least a brace against Bognor, but today and against Harrow he wasn't getting the service. He constantly had at least three players on him today too - Lee Boylan had the same problem and they're very much alike.

Unfortunately unlike with Lee Boylan, we don't have a Neil Gregory type striker to accompany him. Closest we've got is Nicky Rugg and he's playing for the Reserves at the moment. Jay Curran could possibly do the job, but Leon Gordon was beaten for every header today. If we're gonna play it along the floor then Leon and Rowe up front everytime, if we're gonna hoof it like we resorted to today, then it would have to be Curran and Rowe.

Having said that, Antoine and Rowe together would've been great to see.

I was watching and taking photos of the ref in case there was a reaction to his utterly diabolical and ridiculous refereeing! Never seen officials as bad as that.

In my opinion he had instructed his assistants to just call for offside and not call on any fouls or other offenses they see. I was sitting by the linesman in the 1st half and could see many blatant pushes and shirt holding by both sides but he didn't call any of them.

What's the deal Glen (or any other referee on here)? I thought the Assistant referees could alert the ref to fouls or infringements if they saw them? This would mean that John Batch had a point when the Linesman on his side told him he had seen the handball but it wasn't up to him to call it? No wonder John was incensed!

Originally Posted By: ukhammer

What's the deal Glen (or any other referee on here)? I thought the Assistant referees could alert the ref to fouls or infringements if they saw them? This would mean that John Batch had a point when the Linesman on his side told him he had seen the handball but it wasn't up to him to call it? No wonder John was incensed!

The referee has the final say in decisions and he can instruct his linesman to do whatever he wants. There is no way the linesman on the dugout side could give that. In this case he was correct about the handball but if the referee and the other linesman are closer and they don't see it he is to far away from the incident then they will not give it.

Originally Posted By: Lefty

There is no way the linesman on the dugout side could give that. In this case he was correct about the handball but if the referee and the other linesman are closer and they don't see it he is to far away from the incident then they will not give it.

Spot on Lefty. The linesman will have a credible area in which he can make decisions, usually to the 6 yard box in his half of the pitch, plus 10 or so yards in the opposing half. You'll never see a linesman give a penalty decision in the other half of the pitch.

What incensed Batchy was that the lino came up to calm him down, and said words to the effect of "calm down, we all know it was a penalty but he hasn't given it". He didn't need to say this, and if a match official says that he's seen something like that, questions are then bound to be asked.

The referee was an utter disgrace, not the first time we've had problems with the pathetic Mr West. He is the definition impcomptence, and I hope I never see him officiating one of our games again - though I fear we should be so lucky.

On the plus side, a Referee's assessor was in attendance today and was not impressed with his performance to say the least, so fingers crossed Mr West will have some time to think about the awful 90 minutes he was paid for yesterday a few steps down the football ladder where he belongs (though I wouldn't wish that on the lower teams either!)

Probably the most abismal display of reffing you are likely to see all season, he wasn't just bad for us he was bad all game for both sides, and never mind the penalty for handball in the second half, why didn't he give the pen for the tackle on rowey in the first half which was clearly blatant as well!!!!!!!!!

Matt, the stick aimed at their keeper was just friendly banter that most players get a some stage at the lane, he knew it was all in good humour, even the harvey girls got in on the act so it obviously wasn't malicious!!!!!!!

Those are the laws Ronin, but you can't say that an assistant referee in the other half of the pitch can have a better view that either the ref or other lino, as he was over half of a pitch away. Regardless if he saw it as clear as the rest of us, you will never see a lino give that, just won't happen. Before a match the referee will chat to his two assistants and let them know in which areas he would like them to give decisions, which will be in an area where he believes he can see the action clearly enough to be sure.

As for the Zidane one which was about 25 yards from goal rather than on the goal line, even though the fourth official informed the ref via his headset, the ref still checked with his assistant on that side of the pitch before dismissing Zidane.

The blame for me for this awful decision lies firmly with the referee and lino on that side of the pitch, though the other linesman only stoked the fire by admitting that he saw the incident.