Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Trivial Pursuit

David Holden

Didn't read this thread to the end.

I have told David the CORRECT reason in a PM, so I trust he will sit back and wait.

The answer to the third light has NOTHING to do with rifles, warfare, trenches etc. etc.

THINK MUCH FURTHER BACK !!

Well thanks a lot to the chap who interrupted the thread to prevent a grave miscarriage of justice. Courage of his convictions. Fear no evil. That took some cojones. Yes sir.

I wonder which team he supports. Probably not The 'Fleet. well done to him, whoever and wherever he is. Good lad!

Hi Big JR.

Three Coins In A Fountain? Three Musketeers? Three crosses? Holy Trinity?

Hold on a minute. Tobacco wasn't grown 'commercially' until 1600 something. Francis Drake and all that. Great Fire of London?

I'm beginning to wish that chap hadn't stopped the thread. I know the answer to Alice.

Think death ! That is correct, BUT also think superstition !

Ireland might BE a clue, but goes MUCH further back !

(I wish I hadn't told David the answer now !)

I think that I prefer the WW1 trenches alternative.

[There's no need to shout.]

Hmmnnn. 600 years of English mis-rule? Easter uprising 1916? Potato famine 1847/48? Oliver Cromwell? King William? The Apprentice Boys? Black death? Finn McUle? Giants Causeway? Saint Patrick? Snakes?

Think mythology, (ostensibly Roman !) The next world and all that !

Right ! I'm off out on the p**s with 'Er Indoors, (who MUST be obeyed)!

I'll see how you got on later, if the fingers still work on the keyboard after a few glasses !

OK ! Chrisblanc, you were close.

In Roman times, when some celebrity died, they were laid out, with a candle burning at their head, and one by each hand, to guide them into the 'Next World', HENCE : Three flames signify death.

The Alice in Wonderland question is ALICE LIDDELL. By todays P.C. standards, Rev Dodgson (a.k.a. Lewis Carroll), would probably be branded a peadophile ! Very strange bloke !

RIGHT: (easy one !)

How is Van Diemen's Land now known !

That was agood one Badger, and it took me a little time and delving, BUT.........

Frank Sinatra was originally cast in the role but when he found out that every scene was to be 'shot' twice, once in 35mm and then in 70mm, he pulled out. Some weeks later, they discovered how to tansfer 25mm into 70mm without re-shooting. Sinatra's loss was MacRae's gain !

Nursery rhymes have historical meanings.

What is the meaning of, "Ring a Ring of Roses..........."

Well done you!

Ring of roses comes from the Plague of 1665. The ring of roses was the pattern of marks that appeared on victims. The pocket full of posies was what was thought to help keep the plague at bay - a pouch of herbs and flowers. The sneezing bit was another symptom of the plague, and the falling down bit is death, unsurprisingly.

Where does the term 'The thin red line' originate?

Meaning: A line of British soldiers (who wore red jackets).

Folklore in the UK had it that a small group of British soldiers were good enough to hold back a mob of warlike foreigners. (Sounds familiar !)

Who was William Pratt better known as ? (Easy-Peezy !)