Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A new league takes a step closer

A NEW level seven football league is on the cards for Cumbria – and it might even be ready to kick off next season in August reports the News & Star

It is expected the new venture will be ready to launch in time for the 2012 campaign at the latest.

Officials from the Cumberland and Westmorland FAs, and the Tesco Cumberland County League met at Keswick FC to discuss the proposal.

And a steering group comprising FA pair Geoff Turrell and Mike Duxbury, the county league’s Herbert Briggs and Steve McMahon, and Bill Robson, of Whitehaven AFC, will meet next month.

“With or without certain teams this league looks set to be a starter,” said Briggs, who added that Cumbria had to take the chance to form the new league when it was on offer.

Carlisle AFC, Carlisle City, Cleator Moor Celtic,Cockermouth, Longtown, Mirehouse, Netherhall, St.Bees, Windscale, Wigton Harriers, Whitehaven AFC, Workington AFC, Gillford Park, Aspatria and Keswick have all expressed an interest.

Other possibles are Frizington White Star, Wetheriggs United, Ambleside and Burnside, if the league gets the go-ahead.

Sorry meant step 5. Apologies.

In that case i have no idea what level they mean.

I also heard talk of a new Kent league, that had had similar meetings - although this might have been a level lower

Ian, maybe you were thinking of the Essex Olympian League, that is Step 7.

Sorry meant step 5. Apologies.

In that case i have no idea what level they mean.

I also heard talk of a new Kent league, that had had similar meetings - although this might have been a level lower

Ian, maybe you were thinking of the Essex Olympian League, that is Step 7.

Agree, the league must be a lot lower - maybe step 7 or level 11.

It is confusing having both step and level - better to be one or the other.