Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Margate FC – Stadium Development

Wellsie

Given the latest news, please keep an eye on the official club website. These things are never straight forward and the some of the interpretations I have seen on this forum and indeed in other reports are not accurate.

A full statement will be issued as soon as possible.

www.margate-fc.com.

No, it isn't. There were details to tie up even with the existing planning permission on the larger 80 room hotel but it seems ludicrous to me (and I am in no way a planning expert) that having reduced the impact of the hotel - height and footprint - that the local authority shoulld ask the developer to spend even more significant sums of money just to put the revised plans back on the table. Putting this in context of the current economic backdrop - not least Pfizer pulling out of the area - and you wonder how seom of these decisions are made.

It wouldn't be right or fair for me to comment on the underlying decision making process.

Wouldn't you just "know" this would happen. Continual changing of things can't help matters whether it be upsize or downsize & I won't deny I thought this was going to happen though I kept quiet in the hope that it wouldn't be the case. How long now then??? A March start is obviously out of the question.Maybe we should be looking for a March 2012 start now, that's of course assuming there actually WILL be a start & full permission given..... once again.

The saga continues!!!!!

Edited by Cookie

Wouldn't you just "know" this would happen. Continual changing of things can't help matters whether it be upsize or downsize & I won't deny I thought this was going to happen though I kept quiet in the hope that it wouldn't be the case. How long now then??? A March start is obviously out of the question.Maybe we should be looking for a March 2012 start now, that's of course assuming there actually WILL be a start & full permission given..... once again.

The saga continues!!!!!

While frustrating, I don't think the implication of what you say is fair. A number of people have sunk a lot of money into just getting us this far and further delays just increase the risk that they will not get their investment back. And these are people that are use to working in this environment too.

Did I imply anything?? I'm simply, as you put it,venting my frustrations.

I'm fully aware of the work gone into this & by whom & bravo to all of them,yet it still seems to me that "some" forward planning has been overlooked.

We should KNOW that ANY change in the plans would give the council a "REASON" to put things off further (and possibly get more money out of the club) & we should have been prepared, just in case this occurred,which indeed it has. Maybe the club do have this covered. I would like to think so. Lets hope so.

I don't believe 500 signatures alone,against the project would delay things though of course it wont have helped matters. Maybe we should start a petition up for people that are FOR this rather than against it to counteract things.

Question??

Wellsie,can we start the build of the stand on schedule in March of this year, regardless? On reading the councillors words it seems we may be able to do just that.

Edited by Cookie

There were details to tie up even with the existing planning permission on the larger 80 room hotel but it seems ludicrous to me (and I am in no way a planning expert) that having reduced the impact of the hotel - height and footprint - that the local authority shoulld ask the developer to spend even more significant sums of money just to put the revised plans back on the table.

Fully agree on the above. Ludicrous indeed & very unfair.

Edited by Cookie

And the club would have known a while ago that this was going to happen.

That is simply not true.

500 sigs does seem quite modest, I agree Tony. I can also reassure you that the deep sense of frustration is shared by everyone at the club, not least becasue of the cost implications. As I said in my original post, a considered statement is under development which we will share once all the stakeholders invovled have been consulted.

Update at 9.25pm

I am just compiling a statement and press release following discussions this evening. The statement will outline a number of actions we are intending to take and how fans can show their support. Hopefully, this will be fully approved and published during tomorrow morning on the official club website.

We appreciate that today's news will have come as a frustrating and surprising development, as it did to everyone associated with the club and the development project when the official notification came through from the council.

Our intention is to continue to keep supporters as fully informed as we can, but please bear with us.

Options ?

So do the original build but only fit out 69 rooms or maybe the Travel Lodge might agree to take the original build.

Seems an incredulous decision to me but no doubt a investigative journalist will get to the bottom of it. Jobs on the line here and the prosperity of the area as

well.

Very odd indeed

Anyway onwards and upwards

I agree with cookie on this one-in light of the difficulties encountered in getting this far-it should only be as a last resort that you try and change things.

Change gives the anti-mob a chance to step in .

( i appreciate that maybe the club had no choice but to try and change things-but as cookie says-change is dangerous-LIE LOW is the best tactic.

Its no different to having a credit facility with a bank-in todays market-they are trying to riegn all loans in-they can't change something already granted-but try and change a minutiae on the loan facility-and it gives them an excuse to call the whole thing in.

Slightly worrying when reported that the club/directors/advisors/architects did not see this coming.

Blxxdy obvious i would have thought (as did TC).

Surely you always expect the unexpected,and in trying to change something-you expose yourself.

Minimally-you ask a pre-planning question of-'if we were to change this-what is the reactrion likely to be.

Surely travel lodge must have some advisors experienced in this type of thing who could have seen this coming.

That given-as someone else posts-i expect in the end it will blow over-but it has given an inroad to the objectors-and the council needs to be seen to be listening to their views.