Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Thoughts on final league position..

Wickford-Gull

It may be hard to tell at this time of the season, but where do you think we will finish come end of the season?... We have a very good team and I will always be behind them. But lately something seems to be missing. After christmas last season I thought that we really started playing to our potential and got a few little runs going, and sadly only missed out on the playoffs on goal difference.

I think if we start getting a few runs together, we will be there or there abouts come end of the season. This season I have seen some good passing quality from us at times.

COME ON YOU GULLS! :)

From what I've seen this season, I think we do a lot of hard graft both off and on the ball but with no-one consistently putting the ball in the back of the net, I fear we're going to stagnate this campaign. Looking on Isthmian Fans we're the highest placed team with a negative goal difference and there are only two teams in the league who have scored fewer goals, (Leatherhead and East Thurrock Utd - 20th and 21st in the league table respectively).

There have been times where we've rode our luck, (despite what the players may think on Facebook/Twitter we were extremely fortunate to beat Horsham) and there is usually an element of that required to make a successful title challenge.

Personally I don't feel we've improved the squad enough since last season to be able to mount a serious enough challenge to secure that play-off spot. I think if we had been able to hold onto Kyle Asante and actually use him effectively in league games then we could be winning some of these games a bit more comfortably. To put it bluntly our forward line needs a make-over and I would gladly ship out three or four of our current players to free up funds for two strikers who know where the goal is.

Until that happens I think it will contiue to be us nicking 1-0s peppered with draws that should really be wins had we been able to finish and defeats where we've outplayed teams, but they've taken their chances better in front of goal. Because of this I can only see us finishing between 9th-11th.

Edited by Matt H

We started off this year with the feeling that we would at least make the play offs and that is still possible, but on the performances lately it could end up a pipe dream.

Yesterday was a prime example of where we never looked like we were up for it and it was a lucklustre performance with some players who came across as not really wanting to be there. Too many mistakes and I felt that the score flattered us. It is true that we started well and Jay should have scored with a lob that went just wide, but when they scored after 9 minutes we seemed to give up. This seems to be happening more and more with each league game. If the Bury player who made a studs up tackle on Robbie King had been sent off instead of just a yellow card then it may have been a different game, but we probably still would have made hard work of it.

I don't know whats wrong, but some players are playing out of position and others don't look fit. In my opinion it is not just a striker we need. We need someone in the middle of the park to pass the ball and to pick out that 'telling pass' like Tilly and Stimmo used to do.

We need to start getting things right because I couldn't stand another season where Concord beat us!

Come on You YELLOWS

The problem is consistancy. It's no use beating Concord if we're going to lose the next game.

Until we can get on a decent run of results we're unlikely to challenge for a play off spot.

after 20 games last season we had 28 points 2 less than this season, so up to now we have performed more or less the same, but after that we won 14 of our last 22 and still didnt make the play offs, 6 of our next 8 home games are against teams above us in the league and we have only won once against teams above us and that was hornchurch who are a different team now, those 6 games will be crucial to where we finish, we have only scored 8 goals at home this season which is dire, our defence is promotion material but our attack is relegation and if we dont change something in attack this season could be over by march and i believe the board wanted the play offs at least, to play the last 8 games with nothing riding on them is not what im looking forward to, so come on canvey lets start our march to the play offs by stuffing concord.

I think we all recognise that we need to start scoring goals, both in regards to creating chances and taking them when we do. Neither of these are happening anywhere near enough at the moment, and we desperately need to work to being able to do this on a consistent basis. I also think we need to tighten up defensively, and there in lies the problem....conceding too many, not scoring enough.

Another thing we need to do is start turning Park Lane into the fortress it was in the second half of last season....what better time to start than Boxing Day?!

what makes this all the more annoying is that both hornchurch and ricay have scored twice as many as us and let in less and are challenging for the title both have shown major improvement we need to step it up