Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Disappointed

andyetfc

I wasn't at the game on Saturday but it was disappointing to read what went on regarding the match officials and the conduct of some of the 'supporters'.

Yes, it's an 'Oh not not him again' thread.

This club has progressed so far in such a short space of time through the hard work and commitment of so many people. It's a shame that a lot of that good work could be unhinged by just a few.

When will this 'supporters' owned club not start taking to task those who regularly abuse officials?

When we were in our formative years, we had a supporters' charter. Where did that go? Is it time to resurrect it, or something very similar? We are attracting great crowds with numbers ever increasing. Let's show them the positive side of the club and not the negative side.

We are never going to eradicate all the 'industrial language' at games, but continual abuse of officials, just because we do not agree with their decisions, surely has to stop before someone gets into very hot water over their actions.

What do we now have? Officials personal credibility being challenged on a football forum. What right has someone got on this forum to question whether an official should be refereeing, whether he has the character to referee or whether the league should look carefully at who they appoint to our games? I would challenge anyone to referee at any level to see what it's all about. Was Howard Webb the right official to referee the World Cup Final? Of course he was and look at how the game finished up?

Abuse of the officials must stop and 'our' club should deal with those who offend otherwise I could see the club getting a bad name, which obviously we do not want.

What happened to the 'Respect' campaign? It appears some may have forgotten it already.

Like all items on here - it is about opinions or views of an individual.

In my opinion the Referee v Pots Bar was very poor due to inconsistancy for the main. Many supporter from both sides voiced a view that the man was a "poor Referee" - it is all relative to what expectations are.

I believe our web site commented on the Referee the week before being a "good" level.- an opinion.

He did not "appear" to be in control of events on the field of play and perhaps with a modicom of common sence he could have controlled the game with more sensible authority.

I am not a qualified Referee, but, I am a qualified FA Coach and I have refereed many Mens matches, so I am fully aware how difficult a job it is. ie Howard Webb on Sunday.

Opinion over.

Edited by OldTowner

I wasn't at the game on Saturday but it was disappointing to read what went on regarding the match officials and the conduct of some of the 'supporters'.

This club has progressed so far in such a short space of time through the hard work and commitment of so many people. It's a shame that a lot of that good work could be unhinged by just a few.

When will this 'supporters' owned club not start taking to task those who regularly abuse officials?

When we were in our formative years, we had a supporters' charter. Where did that go? Is it time to resurrect it, or something very similar? We are attracting great crowds with numbers ever increasing. Let's show them the positive side of the club and not the negative side.

We are never going to eradicate all the 'industrial language' at games, but continual abuse of officials, just because we do not agree with their decisions, surely has to stop before someone gets into very hot water over their actions.

What do we now have? Officials personal credibility being challenged on a football forum. What right has someone got on this forum to question whether an official should be refereeing, whether he has the character to referee or whether the league should look carefully at who they appoint to our games? I would challenge anyone to referee at any level to see what it's all about. Was Howard Webb the right official to referee the World Cup Final? Of course he was and look at how the game finished up?

Abuse of the officials must stop and 'our' club should deal with those who offend otherwise I could see the club getting a bad name, which obviously we do not want.

What happened to the 'Respect' campaign? It appears some may have forgotten it already.

I think people have every right to comment on a ref's performance as we do on our oppo, our team and our managers decision making.

Howard Webb refereed the World Cup very well, it was the players who made it a farce.

V's Potters Bar-The players played very well it was the ref who made it a farce and thats when you get people questioning whether he should be reffing step 4, bearing in mind he nearly caused a riot with our then opponents at Walton and antagonised a Redditch player to such levels that the only way out that idiot saw his experience with this ref was to assault him. Now these are just the 3 games we either witnessed or know of and I can't compare another ref with this current CV.

If the official is being paid to officiate a game then the least that can be expected is that he is up to it and this clown is not up to it.

I think people have every right to comment on a ref's performance as we do on our oppo, our team and our managers decision making.

Howard Webb refereed the World Cup very well, it was the players who made it a farce.

V's Potters Bar-The players played very well it was the ref who made it a farce and thats when you get people questioning whether he should be reffing step 4, bearing in mind he nearly caused a riot with our then opponents at Walton and antagonised a Redditch player to such levels that the only way out that idiot saw his experience with this ref was to assault him. Now these are just the 3 games we either witnessed or know of and I can't compare another ref with this current CV.

I agree in part. Comment on a referee's performance is one thing. Verbally abusing him/her is another.

I am sure that if people made mistakes at work then they would not expect such language thrown at them.

If they made constant mistakes in any other job like some of these ref's they wouldn't be doing that job for long but we are expected to put up with it.

If they made constant mistakes in any other job like some of these ref's they wouldn't be doing that job for long but we are expected to put up with it.

It's not really mistakes we are referring to is it.

It is a referee who has spotted, in this case Kirby, making a rude signal to a supporter, it could have been an abusive supporter, it could have been banter to a Town fan, whatever. Is it in the best interest to send him off?? I think we all agree it is not and 999/1000 other ref's would'nt have.

Therefore with this referee it's more to do with being incompetent I'm afraid, he should give it up and go swimming on a Saturday afternoon instead.

Andy-I dont think anyone on here has said anything abusive with regard to the refereeing, just expressing opinions

If the referee sent him off for making a gesture to someone in the crowd, then he was acting within the laws of the game. Law 12. However, if every referee sent off players for every indiscretion, then there would be no one left on the pitch during some games.

Still not changing my mind though. Verbally abusing the referee will not get anyone anywhere and will hurt the club.

Well said Steve Newing last night for telling it like it was. Saturday's outburst was unprecedented and over the top. I believe that was the original point of Andy's post anyway. It's the ferocity and viciousness of the vitriol that was spouted that makes it wrong. To just say "oh the ref was crap so he deserved it" is a cop out. I haven't heard one person come out and hold thier hands up and say "Ok it was heat of the moment and i went too far" One person behind me at the AGM last night actually used the word "Justified" as Steve was making his point. IT MOST CERTAINLY WAS NOT JUSTIFIED. We are all ambassadors for our club and therefore taking responsibilty for your actions is something that we all should be doing and not looking for some half arsed excuse to explain it away. Before anybody says it yes i'm an ex referee and now assessor but i'm also a Town fan first and foremost and have the club's best interests at heart.I have been guilty of giving refs stick over the years myself but then i grew up a bit and realised it's pointless as it doesn't change anything.

"I have been guilty of giving refs stick over the years myself but then i grew up a bit and realised it's pointless as it doesn't change anything. "

That is exactly the point. In over 50 years going to football I have never heard a ref say, "Yeh you know what. You're right I got that one wrong." I have never even heard it from a lino and imv they make more mistakes than refs!

Agree 100% with the above posts - if certain individuals channelled the energy they waste on giving the ref and assistants grief into supporting the team, I suspect that the team would respond positively, the ref would be more inclined to give us the 50/50 decisions and other clubs (and neutrals) wouldn't have such a perception of us as official hating whingers.

All in all, I don't see any negatives!

"I have been guilty of giving refs stick over the years myself but then i grew up a bit and realised it's pointless as it doesn't change anything. "

That is exactly the point. In over 50 years going to football I have never heard a ref say, "Yeh you know what. You're right I got that one wrong." I have never even heard it from a lino and imv they make more mistakes than refs!

Taking things in context, my quote means that any ranting will not change the decision that was made about 5 or 35 minutes previously. It won't unsend the player off or give the throw in to the team that should've had it.

Secondly if you've ever been in a ref's dressing room after the game when a manager comes calling you'll find most (90%) will readily admit to making mistakes when questioned. I must've been a rare breed of assistant then as i was always willing to say when i'd cocked up and i mean on a point of law not a subjective decision either.

To close this post at today's game Colin who's a fellow postie came up to me and was man enough to admit that he'd been one of the main protagonists last week and that he's realised that he went too far and apologised to me and we shook hands. He didn't have to do that but he did so fair play to him. Well done Town on 3 more points that were hard fought but just about deserved.

• 3 weeks later...

Of course supporters will always bay at the ref for supposed mistakes, and howl for fouls against their team, scream that their man was "never offside" but the opponent's striker was "miles offside" and so on. This is all part of the experience, and all part of the fun. Naturally we all get worked up - that's the point of it all, and yes I have been incandescent with rage on occasions - Pedro Mendes disallowed goal at Old Trafford, Adebayor's clealry onside goals at Stoke and at home to Chelsea, for example. We all used to enjoy Fruitbat's exchanges with opposing players and officials!

There is a line however, which I imagine Andy is referring to as having been crossed - actual vitriol and abuse is not acceptable, especially in non-league where it's up-close and personal. Very few supporters, and indeed few TV pundits, actually know the Laws anyway!"