Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 5 Fleet Town 0

Swifty

An excellent display from the lads who were fleet of foot (boom boom) all evening.

Pre-season training must have been tougher this year, as the lads looked sharper and quicker. The first 15 to 20 minutes' play was majestic, we did seem to lose our way and get a bit sloppy for a few minutes after that, but Dan's super solo effort for the first goal was the least we deserved. Macca did have to make one superb save, Fleet were bright and nippy going forward when on the break, and I was mightily impressed by their number 11 who deserved better, but Bairoh (my man of the match...in a 5-0 win!) mopped everything up like a sponge and no-one in our colours had a less than fine game.

The fortuitous second (own) goal opened the floodgates, gave us more self-belief and knocked the stuffing out of Fleet, and from then it was a case of how many. Bitz's 25-yard curler was exquisite, a lovely through ball by Ashley set sub Joe up and his cool finish resulted in a debut goal for the club, and Dan showed no mercy with a real thumper. Good thing that net was there to stop the ball! We must have had something like 25 shots in the game, not counting a few blocked efforts (including a 50 yard run and shot by that lad Bairoh!)j, and not only did we hit the woodwork twice, there was also the best retrieving goal-line clearance you'll see all season by the Fleet number 5. In fairness to Fleet, they never resorted to anything physical when the goals were piling up (which some sides would do) and carried on playing their own game.

Poor old Beano must have lost a few pounds running up and down that touchline for the second half's four goals and six substitutions. One of Fleet's fans remarked that Beano did more running than any of his team! Any chance of getting that boy a Madonna-style radio mic?

Brilliant play, lads. You've set the bar really high, but it's something to aim for.

Sounds like I missed out on a great game for us, as I am committed (ok, no jokes) to going down to the Rose Bowl for the next two days to see days 2 and 3 of Hampshire's last home cricket match of the season. I could have gone to the RPS, but would have risked falling asleep on the train and ending up in Weymouth (the poor man's Bognor).

I can't remember the last time we won by 5 clear goals, but an excellent result nonetheless. As I'll be passing through Fleet four times over the next couple of days, I hope anyone who sees me smiling out of the window will forgive me. Thanks to Eddie for his usual detailed post, ahead of the official match report. Sounds like Gareth has found a novel way to exercise. As for a "cordless" microphone, I am sure we used to have one. Any truth in the story that we had to stop using it because passengers landing and taking off at Heathrow did not want the updates?

Also pleased to read positive comments about Bairoh's contributions - I've been very impressed with him this season.

On to Saturday and let's hope we can take this form forward against what seems to be a very good Dunstable Town side.

Tut, tut, Keith, you know my Bognor connections. I think you owe me at least a pint for that remark! ;)

I have to admit that, at one stage last night, I thought Fleet could nick it 1-0 as we were profligate before the first goal settled us. Had the crossbar been 11 feet off the ground we would easily have made double figures,and I think Harry would have had a hat-trick! :P

We did have a radio mic but I think it packed up. Beano said the main problem is that the metalwork of the stands and floodlights would scramble the signal.

Didn't that referee have huge steps? That Fleet wall was 12 to 15 yards back for that free kick 30 yards from the Tank End!

Talking of the Tank End, nothing the club could do about it, but Esso have completely ruined the look of the ground by cutting every tree down by the boundary fence. What on Earth possessed them?

Ed,

They said that the trees blocked the view of the security cameras. Its a shock when you first see it but i dont even notice it now.

Embrace the tanks.........

Really enjoyed the game last night some of the football played in the first 20 minutes was sublime and the second half was just as good so credit to all the players and management.

Bits goal was quality and I was pleased to see Dan Brown amongst the goals.

Good Support behind the goal too & some great banter - enjoyed Beano telling the goalkeeper to 'Pipe Down' after he queried a decision with the linesman first half.

Lets hope the good form continues Saturday!

Alan B

Eddie - Nothing wrong with Bognor from my point of view - as I grew up in Hampshire, I loved the place.

I well remember our first game 4-0 drubbing at nearby Worthing some years ago when I headed for Bognor by mistake (no Sat-Navs in those days).

I don't suppose Esso will do anything to improve the look of their site at the Tank End, but a chat with them will do no harm. If they remain not interested, perhaps a few seeds of Japanese Knotweed over their fence might grab their attention.

Little else to add to what was one of our very best displays over a full 90 minutes as opposed to just part of a game. One little thing caught my eye which summed up our approach and that was Kofi, racing back at full throttle to tackle and indeed retrieve the ball after initially losing it on one occasion. Maybe that isn't something he might have done last season but it epitomised the current approach with everyone seeming to work so hard for each other at the moment, which inevitably brings its dividends, so well done players and management. Long may it last.

As to "refwatch" he was barely noticeable as both teams played entirely fairly and never once was there a need for anyone to be cautioned. Always up with play, spoke to players and nothing controversial throughout that I can recall - so top marks to Mr. Foley in my book.

I'm almost longing for a poor official, all this praise is wearing me down!

Well what can I say, the first chance I get along to see the lads this season and they turn in a display like that :D

Must be my inlfuence then I guess ;)

Firstly it was great to turn up for an early season match and know every player in the starting XI from the previous campaign...

The score could have been anything last night, Ed's summary pretty much covers is although he may not have been able to see from his vantage point the woodwork was actually struck 3 times....

Without question the best Ashford display I have ever seen, the football was sublime and the score really good have been anything and credit to their keeper for making some goods stops as well..

The whole team were superb and I thought that Ed Thomas had a stormer down the left flank, the best I have seen of him in the Tangerine 'n' White....

I understand that the kits gots mixed up and we played in the reserves strip, surely we can't change that after last nights performance!

A lot of really good photo's, capturing the magic of non-league football.

Thanks

Archived