Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

New Apple iPhone 5 - hit or miss?

RalphC

Personally, I am not sure what all the hype is about iPhones - I much prefer an Android phone any day of the week.

Apple has unveiled a taller, 4G-enabled iPhone at an event in San Francisco.

The device's new size allows it to display an extra row of app icons on its home screen.

The firm said it was 18% thinner and 20% lighter than the iPhone 4S. However, it does not feature an NFC (near field communication) chip to allow it to make touchless payments.

Apple said the handset would work on Everything Everywhere's (EE) 4G LTE network in the UK.

The news is likely to give EE - which runs the local Orange and T-Mobile services - an advantage against its rivals which will not launch the higher-speed data service until 2013.

"I think it's obviously what the other networks feared would happen," said Matthew Howett, a telecoms analyst at Ovum.

"The question will be how many non-EE customers make the switch."

Apple said the handset would ship on 21 September.

New Apple Boss seems to be concentrating on cutting costs from suppliers over innovation and development.

Losing out on market share to Samsung hand over fist.

Galaxy looks a much better option if you are due an upgrade.

• 2 years later...

Out of interest has anybody purchased the new iPhone 6, if so how are they getting on with it

I heard that the new iPhone 6 actually bends in half

Big J R - Yes, indeed although most prisoners seem to have phones anyway don't they

Archived