Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ashford v Northwood, Sat 29 Dec

lazarus

A fantastic display from the lads today the 4-0 win didn't flatter us in the least...

We could have gone in 3 or 4 up at the break with Perry Luckins causing mayhem down the left wing and supplying 2 lovely balls for Pietro that he couldn't steer on target...

Bairoh and a couple of half chances and we had to settle for 1-0 at half time with Pietro rounding off a lovely move involving Perry and Ed Thomas with a pin point cross..

We continued to play sublime stuff in the second half and after 72 mins the game took a more realistic scoreline when Weighty powered a header home from a corner...

Prior to this the Northwood keeper had made 2 or 3 superb saves including a great high finger tip reflex save to keep out a roof bound effort....

Again following a corner on 77mins the Northwood no, 4 headed against his own bar and it fell kindly for Kofi standing less than 1 yard out...

Kofi tucked away our final goal on 90mins

So 6 points so far over the Christmas period and two very different games to send the Tangerine fans into the New Year in great spirits :31:

Excellent display! Well done to everyone who got the game on and well done to everyone, Northwood included, for a game of that quality in very trying conditions.

Certainly our most attack-minded performance, and also our best, for a good few weeks. The defence held up well and restricted Northwood to a handful of efforts, all well saved by Kyle. With Russ suspended and both Harry and Alex ill, Robbo slotted in nicely at left back and Jim was a colussus, my man of the match. His superb clearing header set up the move for our first goal, featuring excellent wing play down the left and a stinging cross tucked home by Palla in the 29th minute, settling his and the lads' nerves.

The tempo was slower at the start of the second half, probably to be expected after earlier exertions, but we would have settled it within the hour had it not been for three excellent saves by Northwood keeper James Reading, denying Palla twice and Perry, who gave a good account of himself. Captain Weighty's 74th minute header gave us a boost, and Kofi's predatory instinct in the box saw him nab a brace in the 78th and 90th, the latter after a great run and shot by Ed.

Another game where everyone played their part and no-one let the side down. Great character in that team, and a fully deserved victory.

Well done, and Happy New Year to you all!

Well well well what a stunning performance by the lads, and were my eyes deceiving me,the midfield finally turned up today and put in a shift to support and help the attack,and look what happened, even my old mate Scot Weight got in on the act and scored a goal(that`s as rare as hens teeth).

I totally agree with you Swifty, the defence were superb and Jim was outstanding(also my man of the match),another good display by Joe Bennet causing Northwood problems the whole match,great cross by Ed Thomas for Pietro to score.

A very good all round display, and if anybody from Burnham was there watching, they would have gone away worried people.

Burnham are up next, so let`s have more of the same and get 9 points over the christmas break which would be an excellent haul.

A happy new year to you all.

A very pleasing performance and deserved win but I think Burgo won't be getting too carried away as Northwood looked a very poor side. Burnham will be a different proposition altogether and we will have to match them physically first and foremost to get a good result.

Happy New Year to all.

An awesome display by Ashford against Northwood. Closing down the opposition and playing attacking football was a joy to see and it resulted in four goals and a clean sheet. Well done Ashford!

I hope to see the same eleven take on Burnham on New Years' day

See you there

i understand we'll have a further change of personnel for reasons already known to the management, but we have a very adaptable squad, and yesterday was the template for what we can achieve. We have at least five players who can play in two or more positions, and I'm sure we can replicate that performance even with a change of cast.

Nice to see the programme front cover's been amended so our recent departure's been replaced by Scott Weight, who led by example yesterday. I see Dan scored his debut goal for Wingate and Finchley in a 2-2 draw with next week's FA Cup Third Round longshots Hastings United.

For anyone aged 45 and over, does Kofi remind you of Everton's fabled centre forward Bob Latchford? He seems to do next to nothing but knows where to stand to feed off the scraps and get vital goals! Having said that, it was pointed out on our Twitter feed* that one of our goals came about because Kofi chased a lost cause and panicked a defender into conceding a corner which we made count.

* Twitter feed supplied by James Bartaby, owner of blog Under The League - he's the jovial Huddersfield lad whose son Callum walked him round the pitch twice during the second half monsoon!

Just out of interest, how's Geoff getting on?

i must say that the effort Phil puts into the programme is superb.

Finding things of interest to put in on a weekly basis is difficult.

If anyone fancies penning a piece that they think might be a good read, i am sure SBF will be happy to include it.

Or if you have an idea of a feature he could use (that wouldnt need too much work) that would be good too.

My last effort was filed in the bin by Lazerus because and i quote..."couldnt make head nor tail of what it was about!"

Archived