Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Home to Leighton Town

Swifty

Won't be easy, can't be complacent, but let's hope for a win.

By the way, we need to amend the player news on our website. The lad who's out for four weeks is Lee Scott, not Rob Scott! I've done some curtain-twitching on Twitter, and Lee's asked a personal trainer friend to help him beef up his upper body strength. He's also hoping to help us on a push for promotion.

By the way, what's 'verti-drained'?

By the way, what's 'verti-drained'?

LOL glad you asked that thought it was me being dumb!

Looking forward to the game today and hopefully another 3 points to keep the play off push going :)

Here you, go, Kev, for us and other non-gardening types....

By the way, we mustn't read anything into Leighton Town's narrow 5-4 win at Woodford United just before Christmas. it seems Leighton put out virtually a reserve side for that game, as their manager had just resigned and most of the first teamers left or refused to play Woodford for 'political' reasons.

Well, it's another handy win, but we made hard work of defeating a Leighton side in desperate straits with only two subs and playing with ten men for over 50 minutes after captain Jack Copson took offence at a tackle by Jim Mann. I understand that's the captain's second sending off of 2013! Leighton need a new captain pronto.

We were missing several players due to other events, but those who came in did a good shift. No-one in the team had a bad game, we just took a bit longer than expected to click. Leighton were lightweight in attack but still brought a great first half save out of Kyle and gave a stout display under their circumstances. I felt we tried to walk the ball into the net a bit too often before the break, not easy against a side who had to 'park the bus' at times, and our first half finshing was woeful, though we did come close on occasions. Some of the play down the wings overall, especially by Ed, deserved better than it got.

It looked like being one of those days when, four minutes after the restart, Russ overhit a pass to Weighty, resulting in a corner which was apparently bullet headed home by Leighton's 9 Mark Burfoot. Initially it looked like a Weighty own goal but Graham Cooley was nearer than me and told me otherwise, hence my dithering on the tannoy. Burfoot was very unlucky not to get a 'second' goal later, when a 25 yard thunderbolt crashed off the foot of a post and away.

We then started to match our imposing play with a cutting edge, and Perry (deservedly keeping his place in the team, as did Jim and Robbo) equalised with a 25 yard screamer in the 62nd. Once we took the lead five minutes later, Leighton's heads dropped and it became more like target practice for us. That goal brought about another tannoy blooper - those of us on the covered standing side thought Leighton's number 4 Steve Howarth had turned the ball into his own net, but I see the goal's been credited to Kofi on both our website and the Southern League results page.

Despite some real long range fizzers by Perry and subs Robbie Sitch and Tom Mooney in the latter stages, our third goal was fortunate bordering on controversial as, in the 77th minute, the 'lino' put his flag up for offisde on debutant striker Mario Quiassaca but the ref played on and Mario powered the ball high into the net.

By the way, could someone please tell me how to pronounce Mario's surname? I got all sorts of stick as, apparently, I made his surname sound either rude or Japanese!

I had a nightmare on the tannoy (good thing I can't make the home game on the 26th) - apart from howlers for two of the goals, I got Leighton's shorts colour wrong and rambled so long with the fixtures and teams that referee Craig Green waited for me to finish and started the game two minutes late as a result - thanks, Craig, much appreciated! Anyone else fancy having a go and doing a better job? Not Chris Canderton, though - he's threatened to announce goals in the style of Jimmy Savile and Barry White!

Eddie - you do a great job, don't diss yourself.

However, I'd be interested in hearing Chris Canderton's efforts if (in Jimmy Savile style) everything has to rhyme with "perve" or be read with the late, great Barry White's sweat pouring from his bonce.

Very good result today - 'nuff said, more than I can say for the Saints or that other crap outfit down the road towards Brighton!

I had a nightmare on the tannoy (good thing I can't make the home game on the 26th) - apart from howlers for two of the goals, I got Leighton's shorts colour wrong and rambled so long with the fixtures and teams that referee Craig Green waited for me to finish and started the game two minutes late as a result - thanks, Craig, much appreciated! Anyone else fancy having a go and doing a better job? Not Chris Canderton, though - he's threatened to announce goals in the style of Jimmy Savile and Barry White!

I feel your pain, having had a number of games like that over the last few years... Ironically, I had intended to be at today's game, but a little thing called real life got in the way and I would have been in no state to do the announcements, so in the end, I isolated myself from everyone.

I got Leighton's shorts wrong last season too...

A good win, though. Cheered me up immensely.

Thanks, Beano. Very sorry to hear of your bereavement. Please accept my condolences.

Initially I thought Leighton's shorts were black, but they turned out to be very dark navy blue.

I also have to apologise for using a mild swearword (in the heat of the moment) on air at the beginning today when, for the second time since holding the fort, I had to run back to the club shop when about to start my ramblings because no-one had switched the mic's power on for me - I have no idea where the switch is.

I enjoy doing the role but, if my performance today merits someone else taking over, honestly, I really couldn't argue.

On the plus side, well done to the lads for beating the number of home League wins last season with eight games to spare.

I think you do the job well Ed! Nice and relaxed with a bit of banter.

The only thing i would say is if we score an OG in the future just call it without mentioning our unfortunate player. If its the oppo's OG sing their players name from the rooftop! lol

On the game, i think it was a good result in the type of match that can conspire against you. Leighton struggling for players, our OG and even them going down to ten men, (a kick to Jims face when the players were tangled on the floor) could have turned into one of those 1-0 defeats when you just cant get the ball over the line. We stuck to our task and ground out a win with a couple of nice goals to boot.

I was impressed with our attitude and the players that have come in, all did their jobs well. Perry was my man of the match, good work rate and a good strike for our opener. Mario also did well and i think if he can secure a regular place will go from strength to strength.

Well done everyone.

STEW WATCH

The chairmans stew was adequate.

Although at the opposite end of the ground we were in direct line and all the behind the goal crowd thought Weighty had headed in for an O.G. after Kyle called for the corner and didn't quite make it... And no idea how Kofi is credited with the second it clearly hit the number 4 following the corner and the crossed the line....

Anyways I thought we did OK considering the players away for various reasons and were totally on top for the last half an hour of the game and could have run out winning by another 2 or 3 goals..... Joe had a great game taking players on and always looking for the ball, Jim was excellent in midfield, super Mario looks like a very decent player wit pace-a-plenty and again everyone put in a solid shift....

Perry's goal was a cracker as the ball fell to him outside the box after several pin-ball bounces and he slotted into the bottom left hand corner.... Mario did really well to calmly finish after the assistant had wrongly flagged for offside and with the referee waving play on he had to stop and start again and kept his composure well....

Seems that Burgo may have some selections headaches when everyone is back, which is no bad thing B)

Looks like we now have a real tough run of away games now with 6 out of 7 on the road some re-arranged dates following postponements, so we will have some idea where this season is going after this little lot :o

:D Tangarine, Tantastic, Tannoyman Ed !!!!!!

Great performance on the tannoy, amongst all the ribbing and banter.

"NOW THEN, NOW THEN, NOW THEN - I second Chris Canderton to take the mike while you are absent Ed, because he's the FIRST, MY LAST, MY EVERYTHING !!!

Now on to the small matter of the football - another sterling performance by the whole team much like Northwood. Weighty, Biaroh and Robbo were all very commanding. Keeper Kyle also doing a brilliant job and a good debut for Mario too but Jim FIXED IT FOR ME. !!!

The whole squad and team spirit looks great and the fans are certainly behind all the players and management.

Heres looking forward to a winning 2013 and pushing for the play offs. :rolleyes:

Thanks, everyone, and glad to see I wasn't wrong when I announced our second goal. I was beginning to get a complex! I'll be available for another unintentional comedy turn against AFC Hayes but I'm groundhopping when Slough Town come to visit, so maybe 'Chris Savile-White' can have a go then. Just make sure they turn the mic power on before you start! :P Mind you, it's not all about me...

I think it's time the management and players were given huge praise for turning things round. Having shipped 21 goals in six games and lost our centre forward, Burgo and the dugout team asked the lads to adapt to a different style, and the last six league results show how well the management have remoulded us and how quickly and effectively the lads have grasped the new formula and made it work.

On their form over the last two home games, Robbo, Jim and Perry are going to cause huge headaches for Burgo. How on Earth do you juggle the team (or not) when the other lads return? Still, I'd rather we had that sort of headache than Leighton Town who, captain aside, played their part in a good, clean, honest game of football.

Archived