Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

This forum

Swifty

Just a thought...is it worth keeping this forum going?

Sad to say but true - we had a gaggle of supporters commenting on this forum not long ago, but Jamie Lawrence's lack of communication to fans and John Warrington's attitude poisoned things to the point where fans drifted away and nearly all the terrace forumites have left. We now have as many, if not more, committee members making comments on this site than fans.

It's also got to the point where criticism is being smacked down. I care about the club, I've only ever sworn at an Ashford player once in 24 years of watching, I encourage as much as I can (I was there clapping the lads off on Tuesday, which is what we do when we appreciate their efforts - note we didn't clap SYCOB off because they didn't deserve it) and I'm entitled to my opinion, yet we've had complaints about supporters' views on the website, from elsewhere (one of my terrace mates moved away when one of our newer fans started arguing with me on Tuesday night) and now we have the new Press Secretary wading in.

Maybe the criticism isn't meant (mainly) for me but, if you don't like it, shut down the forum for starters.

A useful function of the forum is that it is quite often the quickest place to find out the result of a match and some of players invloved.........As well as match comments....

I feel that people who pay money to come through the gate are entitled to shout what they like, within reason. That's what football is all about. However, I have always wondered what the point is of shouting negative comments to players who you want to put in more effort. Often I will be cursing under my breath about an incident like a poor cross of soft finish, but always try and shout encouragement.

As to the forum, I would usually post a bit more than I have but it's hard to muster the enthusiasm at the moment, I guess. Kev is right, it's handy to find out the result if nothing else.

The trouble is people tend to jump on here and want to slag the team when we are struggling and when things are going well you don't hear a peep. There is one bloke who kept coming up to me at games week after week slagging Burgo and the team off, style of play, effort etc. Then we cained Biggleswade 4-0 and he walked right past me without so much as a smile!

People can say what they like on here as far as I am concerned, but it's best not to say anything you wouldn't say to the managers face. At least then we will have constructive criticism rather than a slanging match.

I should point out that, when I swore, I apologised in advance to one of the committee!

As mentioned on Tuesday, at least we have a team, unlike poor old Hinckley United, apparently run into extinction by the same chap who did for Atherstone United.

Firstly, this Forum is not run by the Club. It is an unofficial supporters' message board so it is up to those people who manage it to decide whether they wish to do so. As far as I am aware, the club as an organisation has no strong view about the Forum one way or the other.

My own personal view is that criticism on here is fine but we should try to keep things positive during matches, but then again, as I've been to one First Team game in the last month, who am I to comment?

I take on board Kevchenko's comment about the Forum frequently being the first place to find out about results, etc. That is because the club is run by volunteers, who have day jobs, families and other commitments to worry about, over and above any tasks they have on matchdays. There are not enough people prepared to take on these tasks, meaning that inevitably some of those tasks will get shoved down the pecking order when something else crops up.

Despite my best efforts to train up others, I remain the only person willing/able to update the match details box which appears on the right hand side of the Official Website which means, when real life gets in the way (as it increasingly does for me these days, thanks to a change in job role and an ever more active daughter) that particular task just has to wait. Similarly, more than one person has access to the club's Twitter account, but all of those people have other stuff to worry about on matchdays. In those circumstances, it's hardly surprising if an open forum reacts quicker to games.  

My view on this particular forum, which I started up when Gareth withdrew the previous one, is that so long as anyone has anything they wish to contribute, it will keep going.  There's nothing wrong with differing viewpoints.  Supporters can, of course, say what they wish and we are all prone to criticise when things don't go well and possibly say things we don't really mean. (I'm probably talking about myself really).  The thrust of the Press Secretary's message is simply that if we can encourage the players, even when things are going wrong, it can only help in the long run.

I wonder also if everyone, especially more recent people, knows of the forum's existence?  Maybe we could make it more prominent on the main web site by giving it a header of its own on the front page?  We need Gareth for that, of course.

Swifty, I, and I'm sure other committee members, comment on the forum as fans and not in any official capacity. That is completely different to remarks made on or through the official website and I agree that the Press Secretary's comments may be misjudged. We are all entitled to our own opinions and often see games incidents

differently. This forum has always allowed healthy discussion, without abusing or singling out individuals. Long may that continue.

I suppose, to an extent, there's a problem because you read reports or forumites' messages without hearing the vocal inflection, so you don't get to fully interpret how the message is meant to sound.

Nice to know we've got a double figure number of fans on here now!  :P  :D  :lol:

Just in response to Gareth's post it was not meant as a dig at the official website, which is excellent and one of the best at our level or several leagues above B)

I find that most non-league clubs are the same with fans posting details on Forums in advance of official web pages

Keep up the great work :D

Thank you, sir.

Of course, my role with the website is largely around updating the "nuts and bolts" like the match centre these days and any/all offers of help with these tasks is gratefully received! Alan C, in particular, does a superb job in updating the news feed but we do need to start creating long-term development plans for things like the website so that they don't fall into disrepair if anything unexpected happens.

Anyone fancy taking some of it on? It's not that difficult and training will be provided. Email me (address on the officials page of the website) or send me a private message via this forum for more information. 

Archived