Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Tony Benn - RIP

Todays news of the death of Tony Benn aged 88 has brought warm tributes to a man of principles from all sides of the political divide.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26573929

Another of your heroes bites the dust then, RIP

The best Prime Minister this country never had.

I remember attending a meeting with TB in the house of commons about fifteen years ago, and he turned up late because he had attended his "dear friend" Enoch Powells funeral. I thought he was joking, but although they was political opposites they were apparently good friends who had total respect for each other as parliamentarians. I agreed with most  of his political theories, and he always seemed a lovely man, but there was something about him that always made me think he was slightly bonkers.

RIP comrade.

He dies just before the 50th anniversary of Radio Caroline on 28th March, 1964. Was he not the man who, as Postmaster General,, signed the Marine Offences etc etc act thus shutting down the offshore radio stations and handing the monopoly to the BBC in return for their full political backing for the Labour Party a state that exists still today

He dies just before the 50th anniversary of Radio Caroline on 28th March, 1964. Was he not the man who, as Postmaster General,, signed the Marine Offences etc etc act thus shutting down the offshore radio stations and handing the monopoly to the BBC in return for their full political backing for the Labour Party a state that exists still today

Perhaps he justly hated Tony Blackburn. Yet another Brucie bonus point for the great Tony Benn

He renounced his hereditary peerage to continue as a labour politician.  A man of true principals.

R.I.P.

Not sure that I totally agreed with his politics, but he was another person who stuck to his principles unlike the hypocracy that we see from modern politicians on a regular basis. Compare him to someone like Boris Johnson and you can see how far down we've gone.

Archived