Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Vs Dunstable

The run comes to an end. Just in time to start another on Tuesday!

Losing 0-1 to another top 3 team was no disgrace and with NGU and Chertsey losing by more heavier margins we are actually better of than at 3 pm today!

A decent performance from the lads again and on another day we might have knicked a point.

Jack Mullan was my M of M . Solid !

Off to Northwood on Tuesday to begin our next undefeated run

COYT !!!

As the score suggests I think Dunstable just edged it, but on another day

Ashford may have just nicked a point. One deft back heel caught the Dunstable

defence napping but the ball hit a defender standing on the line

It's never over until the FINAL whistle

That's not a bad result when you think about it.

An admirable result and nothing to be upset about. Still in it. Just proves, though, that we need to push on to survive in this division till next season. No slacking.

Delighted to see "Jock" Mullan flourish since he returned to the team. By the way, Jack, your nickname isn't a p-take, it's affectionate.Those of us on on the terraces admire your strength of character and tenacity. How you recovered so quickly after Burnham confounds us. You're one of us and always will be.

While I'm at it, I'd like to 'big up' a player who hasn't been mentioned yet this season on the website. When I first saw Ryan Dearden earlier this season, I thought he wasn't ready for first team action  Even up to a month ago, I feared seeing Ryan's name on the team sheet. Not any more. That lad's grown in stature as the months have passed (especially the last few weeks) and, in our predicament, that's some achievement. Well done, Ryan. Respect due.

Here is Dunstable's carefully considered report on the match:  who sent for a half in the bar then?

CALOR SOUTHERN LEAGUE- CENTRAL DIVISION 22 Mar. 14
ASHFORD TOWN (MIDDLESEX) 0 DUNSTABLE TOWN 1
HT 0-1 ATTENDANCE 108
THE PIPEMAN REPORT

ASH SUFFER FROM CASH FLOW PROBLEM

The Cash I refer to is, of course, Leon Cashman, whose wonderful volley in the nineteenth minute ultimately bought maximum points and this along with other results meant that Ashford Town now occupy the bottom spot in the division. But they belied their status today and made a spirited attempt in the closing stages to grab an equaliser in this tense and close-fought game.

Our hosts suffered an 8-2 mauling at Creasey Park earlier in the season, and were clearly in no mood to capitulate to that degree. Indeed they had recently defeated promotion candidates Daventry Town and held leaders Rugby Town to a draw. To quote from their excellent programme -

‘A few weeks ago the visit of second placed Dunstable would have been just another game on our way to relegation. In the past few weeks the Ashford squad has proved that they not only deserve to play at this level next season but that they are good enough to push some of the best sides in this division.’
I feel they gave ample evidence of this today, particularly in the closing stages of the second half where their pressurised the Duns who, perhaps, were a little concerned that they would succumb as they did deep in stoppage time against Potters Bar.

Short Lane was blessed with a modicum of sunshine and the consensus of the Dunstable contingent was that this would be a hard game given the incentive the Tangerines have to avoid relegation, and as mentioned, in this they have shown themselves in a good light lately. But we began with a Dunstable foray that culminated in a shot from Adam Watkins (long overdue a successful strike) that cleared the bar and almost nestled among the vast array of aviation fuel tanks adjoining the stadium. Watkins did, however, have a proficient game in midfield and does work hard. It is not overlooked that it was his piece of vision that provided the perfect cross for Leon Cashman’s goal. Ashford responded with a blast over the bar at their attacking end, followed by another effort that was well wide.
Nathan Frater had two similar efforts. We noticed that the Duns were without Chris Marsh, injured in training and Tony Burnett who has entangled in traffic. This meant that utility man Cashman was again placed up front and we recall his splendid performance in this role at Rugby Town. Many eyes were on the talismanic Lee Roache whose first attempt was adversely affected by a bobble causing a scuffed effort and a neat touch from Terry Dixon proved neater for the goalkeeper who reached the ball before Roache could poach. Free kicks from both sides come under the ‘could do better category’ and it was a while before Dunstable had the measure of the wind in their favour in the first half. Corners were a bit better – especially the in swinging ones from Ashford – who had in their side the veteran Russell Canderton in their side. I mention this as I believe that players of such loyalty and service deserve a thumbs-up of appreciation – and he was as effective as ever.

The same cannot be extolled for all of his team mates as they began to find Dunstable’s probing play more difficult to cope with. Yet the Ashford defence was quite solid, clearing some searching crosses. In one fine moment their forward players caused a degree of alarm, exacerbated by Jamie Head’s difficulty in gathering a cross – the ball struck his legs and one noble soul (whom I could not make out in the melee) cleared the ball from the Duns’ goal line, following a free kick. As chances go it was the best the Tangerines had produced and they felt aggrieved that they did not make this count. Jamie Head was safe as houses thereafter, with a variety of clearances – a palm here, a fist there…which showed that the hosts used the direct approach as they could not force the issues in midfield, and were never allowed to settle to put a really decent shot directly on target.

Dunstable did produce some effective short passing manoeuvres, with Frater, Dixon and Roache happily anticipating one another. Roache had a fine first half, but only limited chances in the second, but it was just a relief to see him get in his first full ninety minutes since his suspension. Cashman’s good form and versatility was heart-warming. He plays wherever he is asked to play and gives a good account of himself. At one stage he tried to chip the keeper from a corner, more in hope than expectation.

But his goal was one of quality and classic simplicity, and as I said owed much to Watkins who saw Cash in space and placed the ball perfectly for that magnificent volley that found the top right corner. A little later he had another go that brought a save of great merit from Tyler Tobin, and the ball came out once again to Cash who eager to follow up blasted over the bar.

The end of the first half came after both teams had attacks of good potential.
Ashford were keen to attack at the start of the second half, fully aware that a single goal lead was vulnerable in itself and, possibly, that Dunstable have had a frail time in preventing equalisers (for example both games against Potters Bar, and also Leighton Town). I did notice that Jim Mann had a fine skill in the long throw that was missed when he was later substituted.

It was not that long before we perceived that the earlier fluidity of the Duns was largely absent and there was a reliance on Marc , ‘Cowboy’ Leach to head them off at the pass and somewhat pleasingly, the likes of Frater working hard in tracking back and lending a hand – and by that I mean a foot and a head to assist the defence. The home pressure was not sustained at this stage as Dunstable countered well – one good move involving Watkins, Bruce and Cashman – who shot wide – as did Watkins a little later. Watkins was again the provider for a Frater shot that was well saved. Conor Moody was making a lively contribution and there was a good half chance for Tom Brunton.
Notable too was our new JJ, Jerome jibodu, who, happily for us has an extension to his loan period from Luton Town. Joe Bruce was in the right place to make a vital clearance as the Tangerines peeled off from their markers to gain both space and time. But Head was up for it, including one novel headed clearance that was from necessity rather than variety.

Some of the play became decidedly scrappy and there were one or two incidents which needed some finger wagging from affable referee Ernie Moore. A corner from Beadle was partially cleared but the follow up was another that joined the aviation fuel tanks in what still looks like a scene from ‘The Avengers’. There was a nice chap over the fence with a hi-viz and a hard hat who very obligingly acted as an impromptu ball boy. It was just as well that Froggy was not there casually tossing his dog ends in that restricted area – unwittingly endangering us all with another Buncefield!

Free kicks became more frequent with the usual observation that they had been awarded to the wrong team, the air redolent with ironic cheers. With Danny Murphy involved in a ‘fifty-fifty’ ball and a resulting collision, one home supporter took umbrage, and indeed took it out on the nearest knot of Duns supporters. There was a heated exchange and this had an oddly pleasing conclusion. The home fan walked off in high dudgeon, apparently consoling himself with a swift half in the bar, whereupon he emerged and made fulsome apologies for his rash action. There were handshakes all round and a very balanced discussion after the game.
Oddly, while this scene was enacted, the home side were pelting the duns with crosses and applying full pressure for the equaliser, giving me a sense of déjà vu. Dunstable prevailed but I had the odd sensation that the team with their loss of rhythm were putting themselves under pressure.

There was always a possibility that long clearances to Roache would catch the hosts cold but they never allowed the striker the full chance of weaving something from very little. In some ways the Dunstable team is in a period of transition. What is needed is just a bit more in term of clinical finishing and the retention of possession which had frustrated other teams who were chasing the game. Terry Dixon made way for Ryan Plowright – and I apologise that I called him by his brother Warren’s name in one report, an honest error, since Warren did play for us. Plowright beefed up the midfield at the expense of Dixon’s attacking options, but it was a sensible move. But I must admit that the ending of the game was a nervous one as pressure had to be endured. It was fortunate that the hosts were not able to exert this pressure earlier. Suffice it to say that if Ashford put in gutsy performances like this for a whole match they stand a good chance in avoiding relegation.
Cashman’s goal was a worthy winner and was praised without reluctance by many a home supporter and official. Had his second great chance gone in it would have made things a lot more comfortable for the visitors, who may be praised once again or defensive resilience. It was also consolation for the conceding of that last kick of the game goal secured by a largely undeserving Potters Bar.

But other promotion hopefuls did not read our script and those we would have liked to drop points did not. So Rugby Town stay three points clear and the Duns travel to Daventry on Tuesday night for another vital game. But they are all vital, are they not?
Full marks to the home supporters who applauded their team off the pitch at the end, with heartfelt words of encouragement. No doubt the players, who returned the applause will be spurred on by that. We had to wait a while for our heroes, who tend to have a full debriefing on the pitch after the final whistle, which is no great inconvenience. There were few well meant ‘jibes’ at Adam Watkins’ recent predilection to hit high and hope, but he took it all in his stride- and he knew that he had put in a good shift today. I recall Aylesbury United fans giving him the bird and he replied with a fine goal.

Let us hope that we may have a purple patch against those in the purple shirts of Daventry, who lost at Creasey Park and will want to gain recompense. I have a feeling that the Duns know that they can, as they did at Rugby put in an uncompromising performance of unity and endeavour. It should be good.

If only the changes had been made earlier where we would be now, the top three sides have visited us in as many weeks and in fairness the biys where not phased by it.Ben and his staff have done an amazing job, so have the boys there id one thing you cant coach 'Belief' and these young lads have found it within themselves. They are a unique gtoup and to see Weighty on the sidelines encouraging his Team mates was remarkable and a credit to the lad. We must not let this result derail us there are so many positives to take from it. A fresh start next season with a couple of additions to the squad and will be a real force next season. Russell & Jack have found their game again and are a terrific pairing now 'Nice to see you smiling Russ' Big game Tuesday now but we fear noone uts in your hands lads ... Swifty you have a long term contract as the matchday annoncer your stand in just wasnt up to your standards...only joking Dan :0)

I am also useless at ironing!

Method in my madness!

However , my performance was hindered by my timekeeper Lyndon ! He has been fired!

As if Lyndon would care, seeing as his team thrashed Forest in the big derby on Saturday! I’ll keep “Flower Man” as my second!

Sad to hear Malcolm “The Cat” passed away. His memory lives on, as he’s pictured on the front page of this season’s programme. Malcolm’s the chap stuffing his face from a plastic tray amongst the crowd at our FA Cup tie away to AFC Wimbledon some years ago. Let’s get three points for “The Cat” on Tuesday.

Archived