Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

kettering

Graham Cox

Not sure how many of the Kettering players are still in their squad from the game but we only have 3 who started the game and 2 who were subs.

Of course we now have James Jepson who was in the Kettering team.

I think from our point of view it would be great fun but it might just give Kettering that bit of extra incentive to shut us up.

That's a bit of a surprise with the amount of rain we've had in the last 24 hours. Without seeing the pitch of course, I shouldn't think it would take a lot more to put it in real doubt and more is forecast. Has some work been done on the corner nearest to the turnstiles? It used to get waterlogged following a heavy dew.

Apparently a training session we had booked on a 3g pitch was called off due to waterlogging. So not a miracle cure against postponements

I think comments "cesspit of a bog" regarding Holloways Park is a bit unfair considering play has been possible there previously when other local non-league games have been postponed. I referred in a previous thread to the likely effects of the current virulent El Nino weather system which have recently been seen particularly in the north of England. Regarding 3g pitches obviously they will be less weather effected but certain circumstances will prevail which could be deleterious for instance if the pitch is next to an overflowing river!

The toilets and drains overflow into walkways with effluent, the area in front of the club shop has to be pumped free of standing water, the car park is riddled with puddles and mud, and the car parking field is a bog when it rains - so yes it is a "cesspit of a bog".

The pitch is marginally improved, but could not pass inspection yesterday, when Chalfont St Peter got their game on.

To be fair to the pitch I would say it was close, problem the ref had was the forecast of more rain, the water level was so high that any rain was just creating puddles, as had been the case when I got there at 12.30pm, and that was the refs concern, plus the fact that the walls are so close to the pitch that anyone attempting a sliding tackle near the side line could end up getting injured into the wall, and that was why he ended up calling it off.

He had reffed the Fleet v Kings Langley game which we were at the other week, and had to abandon at half time, and he said to me in the changing room after that he didn't want to make the same mistake of not going by the weather, when we all knew that if we got the rain, it would be abandoned.

Having been over at Hampton and seeing the rain come down as it did second half (if we had got anywhere like that rain) the game would have been a farce.

I would usually say that Beaconsfield is one of the better pitches around in terms of drainage, and think that is only the 3rd game in 2 and a half years for us that has been called off for rain, from memory (other 2 being Aylesbury at home NYD and Burnham)

Neil  has confirmed my memory regarding weather induced postponements at Holloways Park. It is to be agreed that there are infrastructure difficulties which are dealt with as best as possible under the current situation by the Club and Trust Members. However it was the extreme weather conditions which caused the match postponement. My Brother-in-Law attended the FA Vase match at Hereford FC which was abandoned at half time. The fact that Chalfont St. Peter were able to play is irrelevant; what is relevant is the mass of games throughout the country which fell victim to the weather conditions. 

Archived