Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ground grading

Sloughboy

Hi,

As a fan of Slough but of non league football in general... I was wondering what the status was with clubs in CCL, Camberley, horley, Hartley and ashford applied for promotion, is that right?

How are they all getting on...? Having been to All except Horley, I am surprised Hartley are applying as they must be a long way from grading? Ashford dropped out from that level so must be close anyway? Camberley I thought had grading last year? Not been to horley so can't comment?

whoever gets promoted from the Combined Counties they will need deep pockets, extra travel, higher wages. Hartley could be directed to Southern South West and that's real travelling.

So very, very true, Tel !

Epsom applied too!

It looks like it is Hartley's title to lose but in terms of getting work done to be promoted, theirs is the biggest challenge. I have heard rumours from three different sources that Hartley will not go up because they won't do the work required.

Whether that proves to be true we will find out shortly, but if we get second we will take it if the opportunity arises for promotion and we can get into that position. Of course Camberley and Ashford might have something to say about this and we play both in April which hopefully will prove to be interesting.

As for travel, yes it is increased but you have to remember that the CCL has the smallest Step Five footprint in the country so it will always seem like more travelling. The South and West wouldn't be insurmountable for Hartley or Camberley, although probable league fixtures with Hereford and Salisbury next season might prove challenging. 

Sadly too many clubs rely on a 'Sugar Daddy 'which is fine until he gets bored and then leaves them with nothing.

A club needs to be built on more solid foundations than reliance on one man.

A good working Committee helps, PB !|!!|!|

Sorry JR I am not Rich.lol

My apologies PB.  I blame the pain-killers and golden nectar for my error !  My arm IS healing though.

Current Contributory League match official fees are £53 for the referee and £35 for the ARs, with expenses of £0.34 per mile by car. That's £123 for starters.

Joint travel is, as far as practicable, mandatory for officials on a Saturday, with a degree of sensible flexibility required for mid-week games.

I think if they get the grading that Hartley would survive fine in the Southern League. What DO they still need? It's been a few years since I went there.

From memory they need to install a turnstile, erect a fence around the ground (the bushes will not suffice).  I am not sure about the issue of not being able to get behind one of the goals.

I've been told that getting behind the goals is not a requirement. Frankly as a regular behind the goal spectator, I find this very frustrating.

To hear that they might allow three sided grounds up at Step Four too is concerning.

As for Hartley surviving at the level above, that view is clearly based on the Hartley side this season, which could in my opinion also survive. However, there are many players at many of the top Step Five clubs who won't take on the travelling, so the real issue is how many of the players would remain for a Step Four campaign that may take them to some far flung places.

Of course the same question will be asked of whoever goes up, not just Hartley, but teams change so much at times that it is hard to take a view until you see the following year's squad.

At a slight tangent to this, I have noticed that Bideford, Paulton and potentially Frome look as though they will be dropping back from the Southern Premier into the South and West division. Although that may well make next year's division extremely tough, if you include Hereford and Salisbury as is likely, there is a possibility of either Hartley or Camberley getting a Southern League Central spot instead. Obviously its early days on this and much could change.

I've been told that getting behind the goals is not a requirement. Frankly as a regular behind the goal spectator, I find this very frustrating.

To hear that they might allow three sided grounds up at Step Four too is concerning.

As for Hartley surviving at the level above, that view is clearly based on the Hartley side this season, which could in my opinion also survive. However, there are many players at many of the top Step Five clubs who won't take on the travelling, so the real issue is how many of the players would remain for a Step Four campaign that may take them to some far flung places.

Of course the same question will be asked of whoever goes up, not just Hartley, but teams change so much at times that it is hard to take a view until you see the following year's squad.

At a slight tangent to this, I have noticed that Bideford, Paulton and potentially Frome look as though they will be dropping back from the Southern Premier into the South and West division. Although that may well make next year's division extremely tough, if you include Hereford and Salisbury as is likely, there is a possibility of either Hartley or Camberley getting a Southern League Central spot instead. Obviously its early days on this and much could change.

Rich, you can have three-sided grounds at Step 3, maybe higher but not looked at those grades recently. Permanent boundary and two turnstiles are certainly required for an E.

I was assuming Hartley would go Central and my view was based on seeing a fair few games at that level. There's a lot of poor sides at Step 4.

You can have three sided grounds at all levels in non-league - even the Football League allows them. Oxford United's ground is the classic example. For a grade 'G' (CCL Division One level)  a two sided ground is acceptable.

The current gradings are at - http://www.thefa.com/my-football/club-leagues/ground-grading

To get promoted from the CCL Premier clubs need an 'E' grade. Camberley have had a 'D' for a few years now, Ashford and Epsom & Ewell (Chipstead) will also be at least a 'D'.

I don't know Horley's or Hartley's grading - they'll probably both be 'F' as they have to be to be in the CCL Premier for more than one season. Neither would have passed an 'E' the last time I visited but things change and there isn't a massive amount of work to be done to get the next grade up.

The grading cut off date is March 31st.

It'll be interesting to see what happens regarding promotion from Division One this season.

Clubs need a 'G' for promotion - Bedfont & Feltham (and CB Hounslow) are fine - I think The Orchard is a 'D' grade. I assume CB Hounslow's new ground will also be built to at least 'F' grade standards.

Now Eversley have their floodlight issue sorted they should be good for promotion. I expect Worcester Park will fail due to the floodlight thing which probably just leaves Abbey Rangers as the other promotion candidate. Because clubs have nearly a whole season to get the grading for the level they're at (apart from when you're going from step 5 to step 4) Abbey have until March 31st this season to get the 'G' grade needed for Division One. If they get promoted again they'll have until March 31st the following season to get an 'F' grade. Will that be too much for them in such a short space of time? I hope not.

Archived