Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Theresa May.

So now we know who's are second lady PM.

Thoughts anyone ??

Always up for an opinion :D

Don't envy her, you've got a split Tory party, a split Labour party that's likely to fracture after the leadership contest (whatever the result), and a mess from the fallout from the EU Referendum - and a Liberal Democratic party that's become largely irrelevant nowadays.

Who would want to be PM at the moment?

Not overly keen on her (She's Conservative for starters!) but we'll have to wait and see. If she can at least get some organisation and planning back then that will be a start.

Edited by cup of tea

Very interesting if somewhat right-wing cabinet.

Must admit Boris as Foreign Secretary surprised me.

God help the poor junior doctors in the NHS with Jeremy Hunt retainming the Health job !!

It'll be interesting to see how Boris treats the current Turkish situation.

• 5 months later...

A nice Christmas messege today I thought from Theresa and a tribute to our Armed Forces, it seemed really genuine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I54lBeyq0bQ

Ridiculous woman who is completely out of her depth. If she scraps brexit, or gives us another referendum I could change my mind though. 

I have to disagree, RB.

I'm not a Tory, but have to say I find her more in touch with peoples true feelings than greasy Cameroon and Co.

As far as Brexit is concerned, it will be triggered, as that is the democratic wish of the people, me included.

If we leave Europe then so be it. If we leave the single European market, it will be a long term disaster for the U.K.

It will cost between £50-80bn to leave the EU, that's your £350m a week on the NHS (which wasn't true anyway ) wiped out for some time. We will lose trade, we will lose foreign investment. Switzerland who have been seen as the model for not being in the EU are moving manufacturing to the EU, particularly the Netherlands and are now having sanctions put on them by the EU for breaking regulations.

Theresa May is good at coming up with Soundbites which don't mean anything (Brexit means Brexit etc.) but to me it's clear that there's no coherent plan and when one does appear there will be some unhappy people in the Tory party as there's clearly a conflict there.

We voted to leave the EU (not me personally) , we will leave the EU but when it becomes obvious that it was the wrong decision then I believe we will have another referendum (might take a few years though).

This makes interesting reading from Mervyn KIng, former Governor of the Bank of England, yesterday....

https://www.theguardian.com/business/mervyn-king

This makes interesting reading from Mervyn KIng, former Governor of the Bank of England, yesterday....

https://www.theguardian.com/business/mervyn-king

I think you are clutching at straws BJR. King is almost universally recognised as the worse governor ever,and the fact Farage agrees with him says it all really.As far as Im concerned he is just another selfish old man who put bigotry before whats best for generations to come.

Interesting. I think that Mark Carney has been recognised as the better qualified governor to be honest. King lost all credibility over Northern Rock - this was referred to in the article.

We live in difficult times, people are worried about their futures, the government says things are getting better but there's no evidence of that for the ordinary person particularly with the austerity policies of this government. People become desperate for alternatives and that plays into the hands of someone like Farage.

The whole premise of the economic argument is that we can negotiate better trade deals; I don't think we will be able to. Time will tell

Carney isn't even English !.  He can disappear back to Canada whenever he wants.  Is he just a 'stooge' for 'Trumpton', I ask myself ??

The clock is ticking down to March, Tick - Tick - Tick - Tick !

Article 50 will then be activated.

(I just really hope the Yanks never let Trumpton near ANY buttons !)

Edited by Big J R

• 3 months later...

Well, a general election is on the way - I think it's a clever move by Theresa May as she's clearly going to get re-elected by probably a substantial majority

I know we've had issues with Polls recently but it's such a large margin at the moment (20% lead in the polls) that I can't see it being overturned in the election.

Trouble for me is that I think this is the cruellest government we've had for a long time and I'm not sure how the UK is going to cope with another 4/5 years of it.

Can't agree with your second para, Cuppa !

Maggie Thatcher's introduction of Poll Tax was violently anti working man.

I agree with your first para though.  Labour is no longer a threat to her.  Her reral opposition is going to come from 'The Wicked Witch of the North', and her SNP.  I was talking to one of my Scottish cousins and he reckons true die-hard Scots DON'T want to break with the Union and if  'Nickel@rse Sturgeon' gets another referendum, she'll be beaten yet again.

I'm very seriously considering voting Tory on June 8th, and that'll be for the first time in over two decades !!

Edited by Big J R

• 2 years later...

To be fair, I'm not a Tory supporter, but I think Theresa has been treated abominably by her own party.

Firstly, she took the 'poisoned chalice' after Cameron decided it was a good time to quit to protect himself, then her own back-benchers ensured that there wouldn't be a deal over Brexit come what Ma, (if you'll pardon the expression) !.

I can see us heading rapidly, (well, with 3 or 4 months), to a NO-DEAL scenario, and after the last three years shenanigans, this will probably be the best result for the UK.