Welcome to the new software - Please read! Read more... ×
Fans Focus - Non League football clubs
Sign in to follow this  
Stu M

Today's game

It just gives the impression to the opposition that we cannot keep possession for more than 2 passes. Not intelligent football, not conference football, not even Kent league football.
Let us ban Wilko from hoofing the ball upfield, only throws or short passes to defenders; defenders only short /medium passes to midfielders; let the skillful midfielders lay on the passes to our front men.
This way we might see a little football played, and we may even win a game or two.

Well, if we beat the 'Git by two clear goals, we'll go 17th. Andy Drury was easily MOTM, his creativity, crosses, and clever play make you trhink how he was bought from a lower league team! Lee Protheroe was excellent, he looked cool and reassured in center-mid. Ben Walshe can pull of most of the tricks in the book, but not once in the past few games I've seen (I attend all home games) has he made a good pass or cross. Wilko was once more fantastic, if we'd have played with the desire in the last 20 for the whole 90, we'd have taken the points.

HEY, IT REALLY IS CHRISTMAS! BEN ABBEY SCORED and WAS RUNNING AT MORE THAN HALF-PACE!!

Bring on the homeless Gyppos....

Quote:
Someone said to me all you need to do is keep picking up a point per game in order to survive, so on a match of games to points you shouldn't go down

Not the same someone who mentioned that to both Nuneaton and Southport last season was it...?

They dropped out with 45 and 46 points to their names from 42...!

On the basis that we now need at least a point per game from now on, and having established that route 1 football is not only ugly to watch but it appears to be route 1 back to the Rymans League and so far has been particularly unsucessful, why don't Andy and Ade shuffle things around and play a team based on skill and passing ability (our strength).
Accordingly, our best line up would be :-
Wilkerson
Lee Duku Gibbs
Protheroe
Owen McKimm Walshe
Perkins
Drury Haworth.

The idea is that Protheroe would play defensively in front of a back three who can actually pass the ball. A strong centre midfield of McKimm and Perkins, plenty of pace down the line, and a combination of big target man who holds the ball well with our most astute front man.

As long as the ball is played on the deck, this team could worry most clubs in this league.

Quote:
Vera said:
By the way, do any of you agree with what I felt, that we played the passing game a lot more today?

Yes. Presumably the passing footie had something to do with the strong winds! Lets face it, if the team can play good quality, passing football in those conditions why not adopt this style of play every week?

Has anyone ever asked Andy why we tend to adopt the long ball approach when the team can clearly pass the ball as a unit? It would be interesting to hear his opinion on this subject in the matchday magazine - considering the number of fans on here that feel a passing game suits us better.

Might have more to do with the fact that we had two fast forwards who were able to get to the ball rather than having Rob Howarth whose strenth is in the air.

Exactly. Must admit, I'm a bit surprised by these Billy Whizzes who reckon Ben has no pace. I work with someone who coached him & the Duke when they were 6th formers at St Francis Xavier & when I mentioned they were with us, his first question was whether Abbey was still "bloody quick."

Sorry chaps. I know he hasn't always had great games for us, but your judgement is definitely clouded. NLP gave him 7 for Saturday & 7 at Burton, where we were hammered & he only came on as a sub. Why not take the poo tinted spectacles off & look at him properly from now on.

Graham S

I always maintained he had pace - a few goals to prove he has the ability will prove me wrong about the rest.

I think the reservations people have is that he is quite a small attacker, playing against all these big conference centre-halfs?

However, aren't Aldershot's forwards of a similar nature?
Look where they are!!!!!

I'm not normally one for slagging off referee's but Saturdays one was not the best I've ever seen although he could have sent Wilko off in the opening minute and whilst I couldn't see the penalty incident clearly some Woking fans were adament that it was not handball.
We could have won it in the end, oh well lets take six points from Margit!

Ben Abbey has the pace, but earlier on in the season, he lacked the desire, he isn't that inteligent on the field (although bloody good run for his goal on Saturday) and he lacks height. I feel it will all change...

Has anyone ever asked Andy why we tend to adopt the long ball approach when the team can clearly pass the ball as a unit? It would be interesting to hear his opinion on this subject in the matchday magazine - considering the number of fans on here that feel a passing game suits us better.
[/quote]

Andy was asked this very same question at the open evening, earlier this year. His answer was, he felt that teams at Conference level are not always capable of playing what he called 'football'. Unlike a lot of full-time league clubs, who have the time, fitness and finances to spend more time on this type of game.

To a certain extent, I agree. How many Conference teams have we seen this season who play attractive, flowing football every week. Not many. However I do feel that we don't play this type of football enough. We did it against Tamworth, Woking and Notts County (a league club), Aldershot and Burton, for part of the game, did it against us, and pinned us down.

Andy has the opposition watched, so why can't we vary our game.

Agree, we do need to try and play more football to feet. I don't go along with Andy using the same ol' line about full time status. What does it cost, how much time does it take etc., etc.., to play simple footie?? Anyone can pick a team and tell them to just hoof the ball up the field for 90 minutes! Too negative/defensive.

Also, why do we pull back the entire team (bar 1 sometimes) when defending corners? Usually ends up in the net with just a few opposition players in the box! Why? Maybe because the box is too crowded and so we get in each others way & also prevents Wilko from cutting out crosses.

As an alternative, I once saw an interesting tactic employed by Dartford against Fisher whereby they defended a Fisher corner by putting five players on the halfway line! This drastically reduced congestion in the penalty area, so much so that it enable the Fisher striker to collect the corner and stuff it in the back of the net without being challenged! Oh, how we laughed..!!!

Quote:
Also, why do we pull back the entire team (bar 1 sometimes) when defending corners?

Maybe he has been studying the Arsene Wenger school of footie. Arsenal always bring all 11 players back into the box to defend a corner, and it seems to work for them.
So he has got the first bit right, all we now are players with the pace of Henry, Pires , Ljungberg and Wiltord to hit them on the counter when the ball breaks.

C'mon Gladwish get yer money out !!

Quote:
Wobbly Wayne said:
Quote:
Also, why do we pull back the entire team (bar 1 sometimes) when defending corners?

Maybe he has been studying the Arsene Wenger school of footie. Arsenal always bring all 11 players back into the box to defend a corner, and it seems to work for them.
So he has got the first bit right, all we now are players with the pace of Henry, Pires , Ljungberg and Wiltord to hit them on the counter when the ball breaks.

Being a spurs fan and reading that, ive think i want to be sick.Its bad enough wearing red( although the fleet badge helps) but please dont suggest these things.