Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Whitehawk vs Enfield Town

littlehampton

Today Town travel  down to the South Coast to face Whitehawk in a Bostik Premier Division clash at the Terrapura Stadium, looking for a crucial away win and three precious points, to boost their chances of a place in this seasons play offs.

For much of this campaign Whitehawk have been struggling in the relegation zone,  but have recently clawed their way off the bottom, with four wins on the bounce against Lewes, Harlow Town, Burgess Hill, and Potters Bar. Back in October, Town took all three points in a dominant home display at the Queen Elizabeth Stadium to beat the Hawks 6-0. It is likely to be a lot closer today!

The South Coast has been a happy hunting ground for the Town this season with impressive performances and away victories against Bognor and Worthing. Today could see the welcome return to the squad of Mo Faal, Lewis Taaffe, Aaron Greene, plus new arrival Joe Payne, a defender, loan signing from Barnet.

So a very interesting competitive match in prospect, with a lot riding on the result. Can we complete a hat-trick of away wins down here in sunny Sussex?

Very best of luck to Andy, Mario, Steve and our players this afternoon. I am looking forward to joining other Towners at the Terrapura Stadium in East Brighton to add my support.

See you there!  COYT

Yes, how right you are seemgee. With Bognor and Worthing both dropping points today, this win lifts Town up to 5th in the Table, only seven points behind second place Haringey Borough.

What about the match today?  Well this was a gutsy performance by Town, and a hard-earned victory in very difficult circumstances, against a dangerous Whitehawk side who came into the game with no defeats (4 wins and a draw) from their previous five matches. Both sides badly needed the points from todays match, and it was end-to-end play from start to finish. Level at half-time, and all to play for after the interval, Town's cause was not helped when Micky Parcell was dismissed for a second yellow card offence after 65mins. His first booking was for kicking a ball away, when there were two balls on the pitch. A very poor decision, and over-reaction by the match referee.

Down to ten men, Town could have crumbled as Hawks stepped up the pressure, but  loan signing Joe Payne put Town back in the driving seat with a great strike, before Billy Bricknell added a third to put the outcome beyond doubt. Well done to Andy and the boys today, and all the Towners who made the long journey down to East Sussex, and competed well with the noisy, friendly, home supporters.

On the downside, Town picked up a number of worrying injuries today, in particular Sam Youngs who had to be helped from the pitch, Mo Fallah who also limped off before the end, and Billy Bricknell who played the whole match, but appeared to have suffered a knock. Hopefully, they will all make a speedy recovery.

Enjoy the result, it was a good day for the Town, and the boys did us proud!

Thoroughly enjoyable trip to Whitehawk yesterday, A million times better than my last time there when we lost 6-0.

Whitehawk look a good side and played some decent attacking football - I hope they stay up this season.
We were deserving winners and the whole team worked incredibly hard. Particularly strong performances from Matt Johnson, Marc Weatherstone, James Mulley and Joe Payne. Shame Sam Youngs got injured as he seemed in a lot of pain - we will miss him in midfield, get well soon, Sam.
Baffling decision from the ref to book Mickey Parcell for kicking the extra ball on the pitch. Was the ref's responsibility to remove it and poor that he didn't notice it as the ball was out of play at least once. The lino should have helped him out by flagging it though - he was definitely aware as he told the cameraman, who offered to go and get it, to sit back down!  Seemed to me that Mickey just kicked it out of the way as he ran past it. It didn't go off the pitch, but why should Mickey impede his attacking run in order to kick the ball in another direction? Not sure if yellow cards can be appealed? What offence did he commit?!
Excellent 3 goals in particular Joe Payne's. Matt Nolan was solid again in goal.
Muhammadu looked a class act for the brief time he played - his pace is exceptional. It's a blow that I don't think we'll see him play again for a while - be strong, Mo.
So we're 5th and a play off spot is in our own hands now. Next two games against Bognor & Haringey are perhaps the most difficult of the just 8 remaining league fixtures. The boys are going to have to work hard for each other to win these games. But its doable. COYT

We all have our own opinions of the manager but there is one thing that is clear. This side is prepared to work to the very end for a result. Many of us consider that Bradley Quinton is a better manager however for those that went to Folkestone in 2017, when the team capitulated, will understand when I say that I don't think that Andy would allow that to happen.

We won yesterday because we dug into our resources and were determined not to be second best. Every player played their part and it was a truly invigorating performance. It has left me, for the first time this season, looking forward to the next game and regreting that there is not a mid week game to go to.

It has taken the best part of 2 seasons but this side is starting to look the part and will go on to better things.

We have had some good players all season but unfortunately we have not seen them gel like we hoped for.....effort and work rate has not been questionable all season.... I wish I had your optimism for the future Steph but I haven’t ... promotion potentially could be disastrous for the club and an exodus of players at the end of season could mean starting again almost from scratch....I have yet to see any future planning in our signings ....yes I know I like to moan but in my opinion we are miles away from being a conference side both on and off the pitch....but that is just my opinion ....

Although I tend to lean towards Theo's views I have for sometime started to come round to looking at things more positively. A prerogative of old age.

For a start I was encouraged by the playing management's decision to replace Rumens to the bench and to "rest" Blackmnan.   What a difference it made and of course with the help of our on loan player.

As I have said before with just 2/3 players of quality, especially in midfield, and a change of playing method to accommodate them we may be able to compete at a higher level. A place in Conference South would also attract other younger players. On the other hand the travelling incurred may deter current older players.

But then perhaps we should not get ahead of ourselves. We still have to concentrate on winning our remaining games and not worry about the other teams around us. Many of whom have to play one and another some more than once.

Good to read some very positive comments on last Saturdays match down here on the south coast. Think everyone who made the long journey, and there were quite a number of our supporters, will have enjoyed the experience. Be interested to hear the thoughts of other Towners who made the trip. Are we now back on track  for the play offs?  Over to you guys.

Archived