Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Biggleswade United

The latest episode of Guillem Balague's fascinating 'Chairman's Corner' feature:

Biggleswade United, Chairman Corner 17th April 2021 (biggleswadeutd.com)

• 3 weeks later...
The latest episode of Guillem Balague's 'Chairman's Corner' feature and an interesting one about the Club's bid for promotion to Step 4:

We will now be making formal application, always in the knowledge that of the three applicants from our league, only one will be successful. Colney Heath are currently top of the list for promotion and we are currently in second place. The figures have been calculated from results over the past two seasons and whatever the outcome it serves as a reflection of the good work and progress made by our club over that time.

• 2 weeks later...

I see that Biggleswade United are appealing their sideways move to the United Counties League South that was announced by the FA earlier today, I wonder whether that is just 'sour grapes' for not getting their desired promotion to Step 4 and I note that the word 'punishment' is mentioned in the Club's statement, what punishment. At least the Club will be amongst friends and I don't hear Potton United, Eynesbury Rovers or Newport Pagnell Town complaining:

Billede

4 hours ago, Rhodes said:

I see that Biggleswade United are appealing their sideways move to the United Counties League South that was announced by the FA earlier today, I wonder whether that is just 'sour grapes' for not getting their desired promotion to Step 4 and I note that the word 'punishment' is mentioned in the Club's statement, what punishment. At least the Club will be amongst friends and I don't hear Potton United, Eynesbury Rovers or Newport Pagnell Town complaining:

Billede

Usual spoilt behaviour by the Spanish waiter, can you imagine being only the third biggest club in Biggleswade! 

#deleteclub

GRS67 - I'm not entirely sure what Biggleswade United are complaining about, the United Counties League Premier Division South looks heaven made and all those new grounds to visit for the Club's fans rather than the 'same old same old' every season. Like I said I think it's purely 'sour grapes' for not getting their desired promotion to Step 4, clearly the Club were praying that Colney Heath would fail their ground grading but then they would have had even longer trips to Didcot, Wantage and Thame for example in the Southern League Central Division:

Billede

Edited by Rhodes

Who heard Biggleswade United Secretary Tracey James's dulcet tones on Ollie Bayliss's BBC Three Counties Radio Non League Show yesterday afternoon, Tracey obviously put the Club's case over very well, and you can listen to her all day, however I really can't see their appeal to the FA coming to anything and they will just have to grin and bear going to 'faraway' places such as Coventry Sphinx, Coventry United, Leicester Road and Northampton ON Chenecks. Okay a number of players and Coaching staff might live in Stevenage, Watford and Luton however they are not going to leave the Club just for the sake of travelling a few extra miles to away games, if they want to find other Club's then let them go as their hearts won't really be at Second Meadow, the fans will surely be over the moon about visiting so many new grounds next season rather than the 'same old same old'. No, my guess is that it is Chairman Guillem Balague who is the most unhappy about the move as he will feel well out of his comfort zone in the United Counties League and won't be able to 'hold court' as he has done for so many years in the SSML with everyone 'falling at his feet' due to his high profile:

Biggleswade United vow to fight switch to United Counties League | Biggleswade Today

9 hours ago, Rhodes said:

No, my guess is that it is Chairman Guillem Balague who is the most unhappy about the move as he will feel well out of his comfort zone in the United Counties League and won't be able to 'hold court' as he has done for so many years in the SSML with everyone 'falling at his feet' due to his high profile:

Biggleswade United vow to fight switch to United Counties League | Biggleswade Today

Blimey Rhodes, what changed? In March you refer to his fascinating Chairman's Corners, now he's demonised, what did he do to you? I enjoy hearing him, knows his subject and speaks eloquently, plus when Jets played there and fans weren't allowed he wrote to me personally to advise of the last minute live stream, which I was very grateful for and oozed class. The result was the icing on the cake of course ;)

AFAIK haven't Potton and NPT also appealed the sideways move? Eynesbury didn't even complete a season in the SSML so no surprise they didn't.

View from the Boundary - Don't get me wrong, I'm still Guillem Balague's biggest fan, I just feel that he should take his medicine like a man and the Club should accept their 'fate' gracefully and make the best of it in the United Counties League next season, it looks a far easier Division to get out of than the SSML Premier Division is going to be. As you say it was a very nice touch that Guillem wrote to you personally prior to Oxhey Jets fixture at Second Meadow in December, I certainly wasn't demonising him and wouldn't dream of doing so.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

A Biggleswade United team photograph.........from the 1922/23 campaign, all long gone sadly:

May be an image of 10 people

• 1 month later...

A very interesting BBC Sounds Podcast interview with Biggleswade United boss Cristian CoIas:

The LGBT Sport Podcast - The One with Cristian Colás - BBC Sounds  

Billede

• 1 month later...

It doesn't Iooas if there wiII be any action at Second Meadow anytime soon:

• 3 months later...

A very interesting article about Guillem Balague on what is Non League Day, see extract below:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/non-league-day-biggleswade-united-29545812

Despite feeling every kick though, Balague admits it's not necessarily about the winning that draws him to Second Meadow on a Saturday afternoon. “I’ve never been in love with football - and I’ll never be in love with football," he continues. "It’s not football which makes me write books, or be in Biggleswade, or talk about ITV or CBS or whatever, it’s the people, it’s the stories. I’m a storyteller. And you cannot find as many stories as you find within football. The amount of people that get involved with us.

Players can tell you 100 stories about who they are and where they come from, why they haven’t made it, why they stayed in these leagues, you learn from all of that. That’s what convinces me to keep going.

It’s a project, it’s a labour of love, but there's nothing better than holding hands with a bunch of people, there’s nothing better.”

• 2 months later...

A recent press article on Biggleswade United who have recently appointed Jordan Wright and Gareth Hunt as joint successors to Cristian Colas following his decision to leave the Club at the end of the season:

Billede

• 1 month later...

Watching the live coverage of the Leighton Town v Biggleswade Utd match provided by Biggleswade Utd, the match is most enjoyable.

Cruz - Biggleswade United sheepishly kept that fixture quiet after pulling out of a game with Moulton FC and leaving them high and dry:

I see that Biggleswade United have sold the Club´s naming rights and the ground will now be known as the Verdant Stadium, we will of course still refer to it properly as Second Meadow: 

Puede ser un gráfico de póster, tarjeta, revista y texto

• 1 month later...

Line ups from the 2006/07 Bedfordshire FA Premier Cup Final on Tuesday 1 August 2006, I see the great Robbie O' Dell was in the Biggleswade United team playing against his beloved Luton Town:

May be an image of map and text

On 31/07/2023 at 19:28, Rhodes said:

I see that Biggleswade United have sold the Club´s naming rights and the ground will now be known as the Verdant Stadium, we will of course still refer to it properly as Second Meadow: 

Puede ser un gráfico de póster, tarjeta, revista y texto

The Club statement again which has disappeared:

• 3 weeks later...

Photographs from the majority of Biggleswade United's home fixtures so far this 2023/24 season, courtesy of their excellent photographer Patricia González Muñiz:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/patrigm/albums/with/72177720311692903