Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Referees/Assistant Referees

PetetheGreek - As it is so quiet do you want to do another one of these, I've chosen one with an Assistant in and number three is interesting isn't it, how could the Referee possibly know or realise that the player is one card away from a suspension, the player wouldn't need to stand right in front of him to get a caution anyway would he:

You are the Ref

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

PetetheGreek - As it is so quiet do you want to do another one of these, I've chosen one with an Assistant in and number three is interesting isn't it, how could the Referee possibly know or realise that the player is one card away from a suspension, the player wouldn't need to stand right in front of him to get a caution anyway would he:

You are the Ref

1 I've done the same at North Greenford United where the surface immediately behind the touchline was near impossible to run on. I only stepped back off the pitch when players were close by. In the example you give, the Referee would ignore the players. If the conditions deteriorated then the game would be abandoned. Years ago you could run left wings so had the option of switching your A/R's.

2 You cannot add lines. This line would need to be removed. Some GK's deliberately scuff the pitch for the same reason as illustrated. That would be a YC.

3 Love Nr 3. I have had this done in a local game. I cancelled the League fixture and the player missed the Cup final. In the old days, Clubs used to appeal RC so as to delay a suspension so a player did not miss a Cup final. That was when suspensions were based on days rather than games.

12 hours ago, petethegreek said:

1 I've done the same at North Greenford United where the surface immediately behind the touchline was near impossible to run on. I only stepped back off the pitch when players were close by. In the example you give, the Referee would ignore the players. If the conditions deteriorated then the game would be abandoned. Years ago you could run left wings so had the option of switching your A/R's.
2 You cannot add lines. This line would need to be removed. Some GK's deliberately scuff the pitch for the same reason as illustrated. That would be a YC.

3 Love Nr 3. I have had this done in a local game. I cancelled the League fixture and the player missed the Cup final. In the old days, Clubs used to appeal RC so as to delay a suspension so a player did not miss a Cup final. That was when suspensions were based on days rather than games.

Here are the answers and you are pretty much spot on again, I will have to find more difficult ones:

1) Your key role as a referee is to make correct, clear decisions – and to do that you need a supply of accurate information from your assistants. So if this assistant needs to come on to the field in order to keep up with play then he should do so – especially when the ball is not close. Explain that to the defenders, and ask them to get on with the game. Your only other option, if the surface really is impossible, is to ask your two assistants to run the left wings instead, which was often done when I refereed on less-than-perfect pitches in my younger days.
2) Any markings other than those specified in the Laws aren’t allowed – so delay the restart until the keeper’s line is removed, and until the original lines are uncovered. I’ve had several games in the past where I’ve had to delay the kick-off for lines to be uncovered, and it’s not unknown for groundstaff to use dye to make lines more visible in the winter. But if it proves impossible to make the surface visible and playable, then an abandonment may be the right call. 
3) 
Whatever his motives – and you’re far too busy to be mind-reading – the Laws are clear: issue him with a yellow card. You can’t pick and choose which laws to enforce – but you can include full details of what happened in your post-match report to the authorities.

5 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Here are the answers and you are pretty much spot on again, I will have to find more difficult ones:

1) Your key role as a referee is to make correct, clear decisions – and to do that you need a supply of accurate information from your assistants. So if this assistant needs to come on to the field in order to keep up with play then he should do so – especially when the ball is not close. Explain that to the defenders, and ask them to get on with the game. Your only other option, if the surface really is impossible, is to ask your two assistants to run the left wings instead, which was often done when I refereed on less-than-perfect pitches in my younger days.
2) Any markings other than those specified in the Laws aren’t allowed – so delay the restart until the keeper’s line is removed, and until the original lines are uncovered. I’ve had several games in the past where I’ve had to delay the kick-off for lines to be uncovered, and it’s not unknown for groundstaff to use dye to make lines more visible in the winter. But if it proves impossible to make the surface visible and playable, then an abandonment may be the right call. 
3) 
Whatever his motives – and you’re far too busy to be mind-reading – the Laws are clear: issue him with a yellow card. You can’t pick and choose which laws to enforce – but you can include full details of what happened in your post-match report to the authorities.

You would be surprised as to how many trick questions you get in Laws of the Game exams.

These are fairly tame compared to them but some do need some thinking.

PetetheGreek - What is your take on this tackle which Watford's Nathaniel Chalobah got a yellow card for recently, the likes of Billy Bremner, Norman Hunter, Dave Mackay and Tommy Smith must be turning in their graves mustn't they at what our game has sadly become:

41 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

PetetheGreek - What is your take on this tackle which Watford's Nathaniel Chalobah got a yellow card for recently, the likes of Billy Bremner, Norman Hunter, Dave Mackay and Tommy Smith must be turning in their graves mustn't they at what our game has sadly become:

Back in the day that would have been deemed a fair tackle.

Chalobah wins the ball but with his follow through he takes out his opponent. The amount of force in the challenge makes it reckless and, therefore, a yellow card is correctly issued.

PetetheGreek - Time to dig out another one I'm afraid, I'm sure we would have normally been looking forward to a Baldock Town, Langford, St Panteleimon, Park View or London Lions fixture this evening who all play on Wednesday's, I wonder how long this sheer boredom is going to go on for. Anyway this one looks a bit tricky so it will be interesting to see how you get on:

You are the Ref

Edited by Rhodes

18 hours ago, Rhodes said:

PetetheGreek - Time to dig out another one I'm afraid, I'm sure we would have normally been looking forward to a Baldock Town, Langford, St Panteleimon, Park View or London Lions fixture this evening who all play on Wednesday's, I wonder how long this sheer boredom is going to go on for. Anyway this one looks a bit tricky so it will be interesting to see how you get on:

You are the Ref

1 If the manager (Team Official) was on the Field of Play when attempting to catch the ball while the ball was in play then play is stopped. The manager is cautioned and play is re-started with a direct free kick from where he interfered with play. If he was behind the goal line and entered the penalty area to catch the ball then the re-start would be a penalty kick. This is a recent Law change. Before, you would re-start with an indirect free kick.

2 Both players are sent off for Violent Conduct. As the game has not started, both teams are allowed to move up a player from their substitutes to their starting XI. The game begins with 11 v 11. You cannot add new players to the named substitutes list to replace the 2 players who are now starting the game.

3 The ball boy would be deemed an outside agent so play is stopped and a drop ball awarded. Drop ball to GK if the incident happened in the penalty area.

I've come across 1 and 3 but still waiting for 2 to happen!!!

Here's something for PetetheGreek, a new 'gound-breaking' FA scheme to promote positive mental health for match officials across the grassroots game, not suggesting of course that he has any mental health issues:

FA launches mental health champions scheme for grassroots referees (thefa.com)

The FA

21 hours ago, petethegreek said:

1 If the manager (Team Official) was on the Field of Play when attempting to catch the ball while the ball was in play then play is stopped. The manager is cautioned and play is re-started with a direct free kick from where he interfered with play. If he was behind the goal line and entered the penalty area to catch the ball then the re-start would be a penalty kick. This is a recent Law change. Before, you would re-start with an indirect free kick.
2 Both players are sent off for Violent Conduct. As the game has not started, both teams are allowed to move up a player from their substitutes to their starting XI. The game begins with 11 v 11. You cannot add new players to the named substitutes list to replace the 2 players who are now starting the game.

3 The ball boy would be deemed an outside agent so play is stopped and a drop ball awarded. Drop ball to GK if the incident happened in the penalty area.

You certainly know your onions don't you. I am quite surprised that you have never encounterd number two before especially in the Islington Midweek League at Market Road:

1) Stop the throw being taken. The offence here is the manager stepping on to the field of play – so have a word, and restart with a dropped ball from the position where he entered the pitch. He should know better. 
2) First the easy bit: send them both off. Second, deal with the starting lineups. Because the game had not begun when you showed the red cards, both managers can now convert a named substitute from their original teamsheets into a starting player. It means they will now each have one fewer sub to choose from during the game, but they can still make the standard three changes. Once everyone is clear and the two teams have new captains, resume the coin toss as normal.
3) It’s always a priority to avoid penalising a team who have done nothing wrong – but there are times when you have no choice. This is one of those times. You cannot award the goal here because play was dead the moment the boy touched the ball. All you can do is make sure the boy is removed from pitchside, and restart with a dropped ball from where he saved it (or at a point on the goal area line parallel to the goalline nearest to where the boy touched the ball if he was inside the six-yard box). Calm everyone down, explain the situation, and include full details in your post-game report. 

54 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

You certainly know your onions don't you. I am quite surprised that you have never encounterd number two before especially in the Islington Midweek League at Market Road:

1) Stop the throw being taken. The offence here is the manager stepping on to the field of play – so have a word, and restart with a dropped ball from the position where he entered the pitch. He should know better. 
2) First the easy bit: send them both off. Second, deal with the starting lineups. Because the game had not begun when you showed the red cards, both managers can now convert a named substitute from their original teamsheets into a starting player. It means they will now each have one fewer sub to choose from during the game, but they can still make the standard three changes. Once everyone is clear and the two teams have new captains, resume the coin toss as normal.
3) It’s always a priority to avoid penalising a team who have done nothing wrong – but there are times when you have no choice. This is one of those times. You cannot award the goal here because play was dead the moment the boy touched the ball. All you can do is make sure the boy is removed from pitchside, and restart with a dropped ball from where he saved it (or at a point on the goal area line parallel to the goalline nearest to where the boy touched the ball if he was inside the six-yard box). Calm everyone down, explain the situation, and include full details in your post-game report. 

Your answer for Nr 1 is old Law. Would now be a direct free kick.

What is so unique about the Islington Midweek Football League that you would expect both captains to thunp each other before kick off?

51 minutes ago, petethegreek said:

What is so unique about the Islington Midweek Football League that you would expect both captains to thunp each other before kick off?

PetetheGreek - I'm not sure why you are asking me that question as you should know perfectly well, you are even quoted in this article when Times Athletic resigned from the League after one of their players attacked another during a game. I thought your comment of "the World Cup this year means that more lads are getting together and deciding to start a football team when they’re in the pub" said it all, did you regret saying that to the press afterwards: 

Times Athletic out of Islington Midweek League - Islington Now

58 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

PetetheGreek - I'm not sure why you are asking me that question as you should know perfectly well, you are even quoted in this article when Times Athletic resigned from the League after one of their players attacked another during a game. I thought your comment of "the World Cup this year means that more lads are getting together and deciding to start a football team when they’re in the pub" said it all, did you regret saying that to the press afterwards: 

Times Athletic out of Islington Midweek League - Islington Now

I was asked about how the resignation of Times Athletic affected the Competition and what other reasons teams leave mid season.

The reporter wanted to know if the forthcoming World Cup might increase participation the following year and it was of my opinion that it would.

PetetheGreek - I fail to see what the World Cup later that year in South Africa had to do with anything particularly as the violent incident at Market Road took place in February 2010. Anyway my point was why did you have to mention anything about 'the pub' as that can give the wrong impression to a reader for example a drinking culture connected to football.

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

PetetheGreek - I fail to see what the World Cup later that year in South Africa had to do with anything particularly as the violent incident at Market Road took place in February 2010. Anyway my point was why did you have to mention anything about 'the pub' as that can give the wrong impression to a reader for example a drinking culture connected to football.

I doubt everyone who read the article thinks like you.

I see that Ben Furneaux was on an interesting pre 2010/11 season friendly fixture between Ashford Town (Middx) and Bradford City, at the newly Christened Robert Parker Stadium on Friday 23 July 2010, Ashford Town (Middx) won 3-0:

Ashford Town 3 Bradford City 0 Pre-Season Friendly

Edited by Rhodes

On 19/02/2021 at 20:38, petethegreek said:

I doubt everyone who read the article thinks like you

I still think it was a strange thing to say to the local press, why mention the pub at all, you could have said something like when playing five a side at the Sobell Sports Centre for example, that would have sounded a lot better.

PetetheGreek - What was your take on this incident last week when Referee Darren Drysdale sqared up to a player in the Ipswich v Northampton Town League One fixture, I've never seen that before at such a high level of the game, is his career finished:

Referee Darren Drysdale Vs Alan Judge - YouTube

Darren Drysdale: Referee charged by FA over clash with Ipswich player - BBC Sport

Referee Darren Drysdale charged by FA with misconduct for confronting player | Ipswich Town | The Guardian

Darren Drysdale has been charged with a breach of FA Rule E3 following last night’s EFL League One game between Ipswich Town FC and Northampton Town FC.   It is alleged that the match official’s behaviour during the 90th minute of the game amounts to improper conduct and he has until Thursday 4 March 2021 to provide a response.

Edited by Rhodes

18 hours ago, Rhodes said:

PetetheGreek - What was your take on this incident last week when Referee Darren Drysdale sqared up to a player in the Ipswich v Northampton Town League One fixture, I've never seen that before at such a high level of the game, is his career finished:

Referee Darren Drysdale Vs Alan Judge - YouTube

Darren Drysdale: Referee charged by FA over clash with Ipswich player - BBC Sport

Referee Darren Drysdale charged by FA with misconduct for confronting player | Ipswich Town | The Guardian

Darren Drysdale has been charged with a breach of FA Rule E3 following last night’s EFL League One game between Ipswich Town FC and Northampton Town FC.   It is alleged that the match official’s behaviour during the 90th minute of the game amounts to improper conduct and he has until Thursday 4 March 2021 to provide a response.

The FA had no choice but to charge him under E3 for Improper Conduct.

Very likely he will be given a warning with a week or twos 'holiday'.

1 hour ago, petethegreek said:

Very likely he will be given a warning with a week or twos 'holiday'

Really, is that all, I see Drysdale has been axed this weekend, I wonder what made him flip like that and apparently he also used foul and abusive language to the Ipswich player Alan Judge. Have you ever come close to losing your cool during a game, either as a Referee or an Assistant:

Darren Drysdale axed from refereeing duty this weekend after heated clash with Ipswich's Alan Judge (thesun.co.uk)