Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Referees/Assistant Referees

Congratulations to the five Berks & Bucks FA affiliated match Officials who have progressed from Level 5 to Level 4 as part of the mid-season promotion process:

Andrew Halladay, Jake Hillier, Dylan Ing, Tom Lathey and Steve Williams

Referee Promotions Confirmed - Berks & Bucks FA (berks-bucksfa.com)

Surely the game between Plymouth Argyle and Bolton Wanderers should have been abandoned last Tuesday:

• 2 weeks later...

I was surprised to learn that last season the Hertfordshire FA had to deal with 32 matches being abandoned for one reason or another and mostly due to the conduct of one or both of the teams, here is their guidance for abandonments which is presumably the same right across the board:

https://www.hertfordshirefa.com/news/2021/sep/13/match-abandonments

Billede

Leyton Orient

@leytonorientfc
· 5h
41' Ermmmmm...... The referee has bought the teams back out after half-time and now opted to play the four minutes of additional time he ignored. And then the teams will switch ends. Yeah, us neither Man shrugging

On 30/10/2021 at 21:42, Karen Browne said:
Leyton Orient

@leytonorientfc
· 5h
41' Ermmmmm...... The referee has bought the teams back out after half-time and now opted to play the four minutes of additional time he ignored. And then the teams will switch ends. Yeah, us neither Man shrugging

He could be rewarded with a 'holiday'.

• 2 weeks later...

One for PetetheGreek, I see the match Officials had their dressing room ransacked at the West Essex v White Ensign Essex Senior League fixture yesterday at Wadham Lodge and all three had their mobile phones stolen, I was wondering whether anything like that has ever happened to him over the years:

The game has been abandoned at half time by the officials due to the discovery that some of their personal belongings including all 3 of their phones had been stolen out of their changing room.

So nice to hear the interview with SSML Referee Sophie Dennington on Ollie Bayliss's BBC Three Counties Radio Non Show yesterday afternoon who is on her first season at Step 6 level, she was on the Long Crendon v Shefford Town & Campton Division One fixture on Saturday. 

9 hours ago, Rhodes said:

One for PetetheGreek, I see the match Officials had their dressing room ransacked at the West Essex v White Ensign Essex Senior League fixture yesterday at Wadham Lodge and all three had their mobile phones stolen, I was wondering whether anything like that has ever happened to him over the years:

The game has been abandoned at half time by the officials due to the discovery that some of their personal belongings including all 3 of their phones had been stolen out of their changing room.

Not happened to me but I know of similar incidents over the years.

I was over at Wadham Lodge recently for an FA Women's Cup match so I will be weary next time I visit the venue.

PetetheGreek - I assume, being old school, you just have an old Nokia phone don't you so it would be no great loss if it was stolen. I thought It was a bit extreme to abandon the West Essex v White Ensign match on Saturday, I remember in 2007/08 at the Copthall Stadium Kentish Town players had their dressing room ransacked during a game against Langford and it was discovered at half time, despite having all their phones and i-pods stolen they carried on regardless.

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

PetetheGreek - I assume, being old school, you just have an old Nokia phone don't you so it would be no great loss if it was stolen. I thought It was a bit extreme to abandon the West Essex v White Ensign match on Saturday, I remember in 2007/08 at the Copthall Stadium Kentish Town players had their dressing room ransacked during a game against Langford and it was discovered at half time, despite having all their phones and i-pods stolen they carried on regardless.

Used to have a Nokia. Samsung now.

Not extreme to abandon the game. Police need to be called. Cards need to be cancelled. 

It seems to be happening on a regular basis, there was a game today between South Liverpool and Steeton in the North West Counties League Division One North where the Steeton dressing room was ransacked during the pre-match warm uand the game was then called off:

Billede

On 15/11/2021 at 18:05, petethegreek said:

Not extreme to abandon the game. Police need to be called. Cards need to be cancelled. 

Yes, I guess you are right, I see there is a thread on the postonement of the West Essex v White Ensign game at Wadham Lodge on another Forum entitIed 'We were robbed' with some interesting comments:

We were robbed! | NonLeagueMatters Forums

Edited by Rhodes

• 1 month later...

PetetheGreek - What did you make of this incident at the Southern Combination League Division One fixture between Dorking Wanderers Reserves and Epsom & Ewell yesterday, was the Referee right to abandon the game: 

https://fanbanter.co.uk/non-league-match-abandoned-after-referee-gets-punched-in-the-face-as-players-brawl/?fbclid=IwAR2YQPyyY_PVobubE9c_9uA3nToI7-d5Fj1uivhK3t_BOsjwVm_sCfWiB3g

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

PetetheGreek - What did you make of this incident at the Southern Combination League Division One fixture between Dorking Wanderers Reserves and Epsom & Ewell yesterday, was the Referee right to abandon the game: 

https://fanbanter.co.uk/non-league-match-abandoned-after-referee-gets-punched-in-the-face-as-players-brawl/?fbclid=IwAR2YQPyyY_PVobubE9c_9uA3nToI7-d5Fj1uivhK3t_BOsjwVm_sCfWiB3g

The Referee was correct to abandon the game once his safety was compromised. 

13 hours ago, petethegreek said:

The Referee was correct to abandon the game once his safety was compromised. 

But the Referee wanted to play on, it was only his two Assistants who convinced him to abandon the game:      

Referee is 'fine' after incident that caused Southern Combination match abandonment | West Sussex County Times (wscountytimes.co.uk)

On 29/12/2021 at 09:46, Rhodes said:

But the Referee wanted to play on, it was only his two Assistants who convinced him to abandon the game:      

Referee is 'fine' after incident that caused Southern Combination match abandonment | West Sussex County Times (wscountytimes.co.uk)

I don’t think that is the issue here.

perhaps the other two officials felt threatened. The ref made the correct decision. Safety is above all.

imagine if referees had a free shot every time a player made a mistake. (I’m not saying that a mistake was made but…) Every player on the pitch would have a black eye, that’s for sure.

Daily Dose - What I was getting at was that a good number of Referees, MarClattenburg  included, wouldn't care about their own safety and just want to get on with the game to avoid an abandonment and all the grief and disappointment that brings particularly to fans who have travelled and paid their money. Besides, once the Epsom & Ewell player had been unceremoniously dismissed then the dust would have soon settled and the game could have easily continued with no further drama.

Edited by Rhodes

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

Daily Dose - What I was getting at was that a good number of Referees, MarClattenburg  included, wouldn't care about their own safety and just want to get on with the game to avoid an abandonment and all the grief and disappointment that brings particularly to fans who have travelled and paid their money. Besides, once the Epsom & Ewell player had been unceremoniously dismissed then the dust would have soon settled and the game could have easily continued with no further drama.

I’m pretty sure they would all care about their own safety and more importantly the the safety of everyone else. 
the Epsom player showed no signs of letting up. 
no referee should be subject to physical abuse. Even if they were utter garbage.

Not SSML but what a nice photograph of GuiIdford City and Southall emerging for their FA Vase Third Round tie on Saturday 11 December, I don't suppose PetetheGreek recognises any of the Officials:   

2021 FA Vase Round 3 picks

Edited by Rhodes