Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Referees/Assistant Referees

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

Really, is that all, I see Drysdale has been axed this weekend, I wonder what made him flip like that and apparently he also used foul and abusive language to the Ipswich player Alan Judge. Have you ever come close to losing your cool during a game, either as a Referee or an Assistant:

Darren Drysdale axed from refereeing duty this weekend after heated clash with Ipswich's Alan Judge (thesun.co.uk)

Yes I have but not to the point like Drysdale. 

Not sure whether this webinar will be of interest to anyone tomorrow evening, it appears to be free but obviously you have to register first by e-mail:

Women in Football - Join Jawahir Roble and Sian Massey-Ellis on upcoming "Breaking Barriers" webinar

Billede

An interesting video talking to the Referees Association Chairman Paul Field who has some strong views about how Referees are being treated in this day and age, particularly Mike Dean who recently received on-line death threats, as well as his family, after the Fulham v West Ham Premier League fixture on 6 February. Dean doesn't do himself any favours at times as the video at the link illustrates however what happened to him was still unacceptable:

Referee Mike Dean - FUNNY MOMENTS - Bing video

Edited by Rhodes

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/02/2021 at 20:33, petethegreek said:

The FA had no choice but to charge him under E3 for Improper Conduct.
Very likely he will be given a warning with a week or twos 'holiday'.

I see that Darren Drysdale has been let off the hook as you predicted, I thought the FA would throw the book at him:

Darren Drysdale says Alan Judge called him a 'cheating bald c***' as he is cleared to continue refereeing after clash (thesun.co.uk)

20 hours ago, Rhodes said:

I see that Darren Drysdale has been let off the hook as you predicted, I thought the FA would throw the book at him:

Darren Drysdale says Alan Judge called him a 'cheating bald c***' as he is cleared to continue refereeing after clash (thesun.co.uk)

I wouldn't call it being left off the hook.

The amount of games missed was already disproportionate to the offence.

PetetheGreek - As it's quiet again see what you make of this one, number two is interesting as if it's a stadium ban then surely the Manager is entitled to use his ingenuity and address the players by webcam, Marcelo Bielsa would wouldn't he and no doubt José Mourinho:

You are the Ref

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

PetetheGreek - As it's quiet again see what you make of this one, number two is interesting as if it's a stadium ban then surely the Manager is entitled to use his ingenuity and address the players by webcam, Marcelo Bielsa would wouldn't he and no doubt José Mourinho:

You are the Ref

1. If this was years ago then it's a goal. If the ball this season touches the Referee then it is a drop ball to the team who played it last from where contact was made with the Referee. If the touch was in the penalty area then a drop ball to the GK.

2. I would inform a Club Official that I would be including this as an Extraordinary Match Incident in my report and let the the authorities deal with it. 

3. As it is a European match. there is a protocol to follow. public announcement, warning, then abandoned game

PetetheGreek - This is quite a nasty incident and an attack on an Official in Bulgaria, the perpetrator looks a dead ringer for your nemesis Tommy Kanaris infact I'm wondering whether it actually is him:

Edited by Rhodes

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

PetetheGreek - This is quite a nasty incident and an attack on an Official in Bulgaria, the perpetrator looks a dead ringer for your nemesis Tommy Kanaris infact I'm wondering whether it actually is him:

No comment.  ?

On 16/03/2021 at 19:38, petethegreek said:

1. If this was years ago then it's a goal. If the ball this season touches the Referee then it is a drop ball to the team who played it last from where contact was made with the Referee. If the touch was in the penalty area then a drop ball to the GK.
2. I would inform a Club Official that I would be including this as an Extraordinary Match Incident in my report and let the the authorities deal with it. 
3. As it is a European match. there is a protocol to follow. public announcement, warning, then abandoned game

You are pretty much spot on again, it made sense to change the ruling for number one:

1) You’ve scored. A horrible scenario, but you have to try to calm everyone down and explain the position: the match officials are considered part of the field of play – just like the goalpost, bar or corner flagposts. So if the ball makes contact with you, even via an instinctive action such as this, the game continues. Award the goal. 
2) There’s no need to storm in there – a stadium ban is imposed by the game’s authorities, and they can judge what further action to take. Simply advise the club’s secretary that you have seen what is happening and will be including it in your report. Then start the game as normal. 
3) You must take action when racist abuse is unequivocal – options include having PA announcements made, taking the teams off and potentially abandoning the game. But you need to be sure: in this case, explain your concerns to both captains, and tell them you will deal with it by reporting the situation after the match, so authorities can conduct a proper investigation. Uefa competitions will also have a match delegate present, who will be monitoring crowd behaviour. 

A nice picture of a presentation to seven Bedfordshire FA affiliated Referees along with Richard Everitt of The 61 FC (Luton), I believe it is at Kenilworth Road:

May be an image of 8 people, people standing and text that says "F YAI HGK Match Officials being awarded their kit courtesy of A&H International, mDonnellan Peter Brown, Gavin Muge, Richard Everitt, Chris O'Donnell Richard Robinson Andrew Medl"

Guidance issued this week by the FA Referees Committee on Promotions and Reclassifictions for the 2020/21 season following a meeting of the Committee on 17 March:

The Referees' Association - Promotions and Reclassifications – Season 2020/21 (the-ra.org)

With insufficient data to justifiably make decisions regarding promotion and reclassification and given the fact that most referees have not officiated for many months, the FA Referees’ Committee believes that promotion and reclassification should not be implemented at the end of season 2020/21.

• 2 weeks later...

PetetheGreek - Just to bring you out of the woodwork if I may, what is your view on this argument between Jamie Carragher and Micah Richards out of interest:

On 07/04/2021 at 10:04, Rhodes said:

PetetheGreek - Just to bring you out of the woodwork if I may, what is your view on this argument between Jamie Carragher and Micah Richards out of interest:

Jamie is correct here and the Referee has got it wrong.

In the same way an AR will not raise his/her flag for a tight off side in case they get it wrong and inadvertently chalk off a legitimate goal, the same thinking applies here.

Let Bellingham score and then see what VAR says.

• 2 months later...

I wonder whether PetetheGreek knows of this Official who ran the line recently, on Saturday 19 June, in the Old Hat v Shepperton Pumas Middlesex FA Junior Trophy Final at Rectory Park, he must be just out of short trousers:

2021 Middlesex FA Junior Trophy Final | Flickr

DSC01057

Edited by Rhodes

17 hours ago, Rhodes said:

I wonder whether PetetheGreek knows of this Official who ran the line recently, on Saturday 19 June, in the Old Hat v Shepperton Pumas Middlesex FA Junior Trophy Final at Rectory Park, he must be just out of short trousers:

2021 Middlesex FA Junior Trophy Final | Flickr

DSC01057

I don't recognize him.

On 28/06/2021 at 16:09, petethegreek said:

I don't recognize him.

What age were you out of interest when you started Officiating, you seem to have been around forever

On 30/06/2021 at 21:51, petethegreek said:

About 28

Surely it is getting harder and harder for you these days to pass the annual fitness test, all that moussaka, kleftiko, pastitsio, soutzoukakia and bougatsa over the years must be taking its toll.

8 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Surely it is getting harder and harder for you these days to pass the annual fitness test, all that moussaka, kleftiko, pastitsio, soutzoukakia and bougatsa over the years must be taking its toll.

A Mediterranean diet is a healthy diet.

Fitness test is a doddle.