Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Referees/Assistant Referees

3 hours ago, Rhodes said:

There was a thread on here a few years back entitled 'Referee Promotions' and it was suggested that Referees were getting promoted far too easily and at the drop of a hat, is that still the case. As PetetheGreek said 'it is always good to see young Referees fulfill their potential and rapidly move up through the levels' however perhaps not too rapidly:

Referees were definitely getting cheap promotions a few years ago especially with the London FA. This has changed as there has been a complete revamp of those running the Promotion Scheme in the Capital.

At Level 4 (Prem Div middles), you definitely have to earn promotion as the Observers are much better. This, like last season, will be interesting as many Referees will not meet the criteria of number of games / observations due to the lockdown to be eligible for promotion.

I will assume that the FA and CFA's will alter the rules to accommodate the circumstances. 

Who remembers the bad old days in the SSML Reserve Divisions and the Under 25 Development Division of scruffy Club Linesmen and youngsters who you dragged off the street and gave them £15 or £20 to run the line but they barely new the rules, thanks goodness those days are gone:

Edited by Rhodes

On 04/01/2021 at 13:29, petethegreek said:

Referees were definitely getting cheap promotions a few years ago especially with the London FA

Yes, that's right. I don't know if you saw this thread on another Forum from a couple of years back consisting of two pages of chat on Referee promotions, Luke Donaldson, Martyn Cannon and Val Anekwe are mentioned, who are with the London FA, and who all got their promotion to Level Three at the time and James Keane, Toby Enstone, David Lunani, Robert ColumbCharles Martland, Tony King, Neil Bailey, William Cannon and Abdul Olol to Level Four. I'm not suggesting they weren't all deserving of course:

FA Promotions | RefChat - The Refereeing Forum

Edited by Rhodes

6 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Yes, that's right. I don't know if you saw this thread on another Forum from a couple of years back consisting of two pages of chat on Referee promotions, Luke Donaldson, Martyn Cannon and Val Anekwe are mentioned, who are with the London FA, and who all got their promotion to Level Three at the time and James Keane, Toby Enstone, David Lunani, Robert ColumbCharles Martland, Tony King, Neil Bailey, William Cannon and Abdul Olol to Level Four. I'm not suggesting they weren't all deserving of course:

FA Promotions | RefChat - The Refereeing Forum

I know most of those Referees and some have gone higher since that was posted.

It will be interesting to see this season how promotions at all Levels are worked out where parts of the criteria will not be met due to the lockdown.

On 11/11/2020 at 11:44, petethegreek said:

I am happy with the level that I officiate at

Why didn't you make hay why the sun shone then and make the most of the 'easy' promotion

Edited by Rhodes

10 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Why didn't you make hay why the sun shone then and make the most of the 'easy' promotion

Not easy these days. Promotion Scheme is tougher in London these days.

An interesting recent video, hosted by the Middlesex FA, with former Premier League Referee Roger East and Middlesex FA Grasroots Match Official of 2020 Andy Kowalski, they give a good insight into Refereeing at the very top level and lower end of the game. Wiltshire FA affiliated Roger East's claim to fame is of course sending the wrong Sunderland player off in the Manchester United v Sunderland fixture in 2014/15, his highest honour was Assistant Referee at the 2004 FA Cup Final between Manchester United and Millwall, played in Cardiff: 

Edited by Rhodes

Almost 800 photographs of Referees and Assistant Referees in action and doing their thing, there's nothing worse is there than seeing a scruffy Club Official or player running the line such as in the bad old days of the SSML Reserve League and SSML Under 25 Development League:

The Men in Black

Edited by Rhodes

Is Sian Massey still Officiating at a high level, wasn't she the Official who got Andy Gray and Richard Keys the sack from Sky Sports in 2011, the 'Super Sunday' show has never been the same since they left has it:

Edited by Rhodes

38 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

Is Sian Massey still Officiating at a high level, wasn't she the Official who got Andy Gray and Richard Keys the sack from Sky Sports in 2011, the 'Super Sunday' show has never been the same since they left has it:

That's a daft question. 

You may recall that I posted this video some time ago and your comment was, if you recall, 'hurry up with the next video clip, Rhodes', I was quite surprised and the Politically correct Karen wasn't impressed: 

Edited by Rhodes

PetetheGreek - Does anyone look familiar in this photograph:

MCFA 10th George Ruffell Shield 09-10 | Flickr

IMG_4050

Edited by Rhodes

PetetheGreek - I take it you heard that Mike Coventry sadly passed away last week, this is from the Chiltern and District Referee's Society where Mike was a member:

Dear fellow Referees
It is with great regret that we must inform you that Mike Coventry, a member of Chiltern District RS, passed away yesterday.
Mike’s daughter sent Simon Parbery our Secretary an email today to let us know of his passing, at the age of 82. As you will know, Mike was a stalwart member of the Society, a larger than life presence at our meetings and always willing to chat about football to anyone in the same room. It is this sense of camaraderie that makes our Society so unique. He has also contributed a remarkable 346 editions of Coventry’s Corner to the Chiltern Referee magazine. Mike had been in hospital since the beginning of the year as a result of a fall when he broke his hip, he had been suffering from cancer for some time.
This is very sad news, especially for those of us who knew Mike.
For those in the group who didn't know him, you should know that he was someone who left an impression on all of us who did.
As an assessor (observer) at Supply League level he gave great service to the Spartan Sth Midlands Lge and was instrumental in the development of many level 4 referees who went on to achieve success at level 3 and above.
He could articulate his observations in a simple, honest and straightforward manner, he was never patronising, sanctimonious or over judgmental as some can be, he was always approachable and his understanding of the game from all angles meant that he would never criticize for the sake of it.
He will be sadly missed by all at CDRS as well as the many friends and acquaintances he made in his many years in the game, but above all by his family.
RIP Mike Coventry.
Edited by Rhodes

Who remembers these in magazines and comics back in the day, they were a lot of fun but you don't see them now:

Image may contain: 2 people

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

PetetheGreek - I take it you heard that Mike Coventry sadly passed away last week, this is from the Chiltern and District Referee's Society where Mike was a member:

Dear fellow Referees
It is with great regret that we must inform you that Mike Coventry, a member of Chiltern District RS, passed away yesterday.
Mike’s daughter sent Simon Parbery our Secretary an email today to let us know of his passing, at the age of 82. As you will know, Mike was a stalwart member of the Society, a larger than life presence at our meetings and always willing to chat about football to anyone in the same room. It is this sense of camaraderie that makes our Society so unique. He has also contributed a remarkable 346 editions of Coventry’s Corner to the Chiltern Referee magazine. Mike had been in hospital since the beginning of the year as a result of a fall when he broke his hip, he had been suffering from cancer for some time.
This is very sad news, especially for those of us who knew Mike.
For those in the group who didn't know him, you should know that he was someone who left an impression on all of us who did.
As an assessor (observer) at Supply League level he gave great service to the Spartan Sth Midlands Lge and was instrumental in the development of many level 4 referees who went on to achieve success at level 3 and above.
He could articulate his observations in a simple, honest and straightforward manner, he was never patronising, sanctimonious or over judgmental as some can be, he was always approachable and his understanding of the game from all angles meant that he would never criticize for the sake of it.
He will be sadly missed by all at CDRS as well as the many friends and acquaintances he made in his many years in the game, but above all by his family.
RIP Mike Coventry.

I was not aware that Mike had passed away.

I was assessed a few times by Mike and we always had good discussions on refereeing matters.

Such a sad loss. 

PetetheGreek - What if I put you to the test with some of these and I will let you know if you are right as I have the answers:

You are the Ref

PetetheGreek - Here's another one, has number two ever happened to you:

You are the Ref

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

PetetheGreek - What if I put you to the test with some of these and I will let you know if you are right as I have the answers:

You are the Ref

1 2nd YC and therefore RC. Could go RC if deemed offense gesture.

2 Defender is YC for reckless challenge. Striker is YC for Unsporting Behavior.

3 Goal stands. You cannot disallow unless you have seen a hand ball.

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

PetetheGreek - Here's another one, has number two ever happened to you:

You are the Ref

1 Goal. As long as the ball is not thrown in a violent manner then no offense has been committed.

2 Goal. I have come close a few times!!!

3 No goal. Play stops once the whistle is blown. 

Can you ask me one on sport?

Rhodes - I was expecting you to ask me about the Aston Villa goal yesterday.?