Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Bedford FC

Reference the colour change of Real Bedford FC football shirts. They have changed the colours of  their shirts on numerous occasions . When I first started to support them they were playing in tangerine shirts. I recall a meeting when the discussion was about changing the colour of their shirts, I was most disgruntled when they featured blue in their playing kits because of Bedford Town. I beg to point out that I was only a minor committee member and had no infuence only as a general dogs body. I still remain a follower of this club despite the distance.

6 hours ago, RallyInRaleigh said:

Right, but I don't think he would have made those types of moves if higher in the pyramid. He wanted a hometown team and set his sights on Bedford town because of it's history and cache. He couldn't close it. Had he, I expect he'd have left the name, badge, etc alone. With Bedford FC, there was both less history to overwrite and fans to be upset about it. Of course, there were SOME fans and some of them would be upset by change. I'm not surprised the committee was against any changes of any kind--they had been the stewards of what was. But I think it's upset to hold it against him what he didn't actually do to a more well known club. Of course, I'm speaking from my point of view which is someone with no sense of the history of the club, league and culture. Just my ever depreciating American two cents!

Oh, and I don't care if the first time Real Bedford and Bedford Town is in the actual damn Premier League--I want to be there for that one! Pints on me for that matchup. 

Agree with you Rally on pretty much all of this, Bedford Town will just keep on doing their own thing though. Very good chance they will get promoted to the National League North or South within the next 4 years. Which means Real Bedford will have to get 4 promotions to even lay claim to being the biggest club in Bedford in the next 4 years, never mind talk of the EFL/Premier League.     

4 hours ago, LondonEagle said:

Agree with you Rally on pretty much all of this, Bedford Town will just keep on doing their own thing though. Very good chance they will get promoted to the National League North or South within the next 4 years. Which means Real Bedford will have to get 4 promotions to even lay claim to being the biggest club in Bedford in the next 4 years, never mind talk of the EFL/Premier League.     

To be clear, I don't ever expect real Bedford to sniff the premier league--just reiterating it's a matchup I'm excited for. If it means taking them on in the national league ranks, then things have gone well and that's worth waiting for!

On 23/08/2022 at 16:00, RallyInRaleigh said:

So it's entirely possible to earn promotion by finishing top of the table but not actually move up because of the quality of your grounds. Knowing that, how much time do they to get ready. Realistically, do you already need to have the grounds ready in advance of earning that promotion? Or is there a bit of transition window? I've never been to Bedford or Real Bedford specifically, but from what understand, it's tiny and they have a lot of work to do. I guess my question is, when might that bite them? As soon as next season if they earn promotion? Thanks for educating me, I'm enjoying diving deep into this World. 

RaIIyInRaIeigh - Real Bedford won't have any trouble meeting Step 5 criteria at McMullen Park next season as they used to be a Step 5 Club and Peter McCormack will make certain the Club meets Step 4 criteria in 2024/25, after that it couId become a bit more tricky with the pernickety FA however money will presumably be no object. I am impressed by your understanding of how it all works, Club's are required to have all the criteria in place by 31 March prior to the new season ahead which, again, shouldn't be an issue for Mr McCormack, he seems to have already transformed McMullen Park beyond all recognition.

Great intel, thank you. 

I've certainly been absorbing as much information and content as I can on non league football and especially those in the Bedfordshire of late. It's been fun to really take it all in. While a trip out to see the area and take in some games is still far out in the horizon, I look forward to doing so one day. Might have to drop the wife off in Paris to make it happen but it's on my list!

An interesting article on the BBC website about Real Bedford and boss Rob Sinclair: 

Real Bedford: Forest Green promotion winner Rob Sinclair leading bitcoin-backed side - BBC Sport

On 28/08/2022 at 20:19, LondonEagle said:

LondonEagle - Do you really think so, am I right in thinking that the highest the Club have ever got in their history is the Conference South (Step 2) in 2006/07 and that was only for one season, finishing bottom.

On 31/08/2022 at 09:12, Rhodes said:

LondonEagle - Do you really think so, am I right in thinking that the highest the Club have ever got in their history is the Conference South (Step 2) in 2006/07 and that was only for one season, finishing bottom.

Technically that's correct yes although Ryman League Prem was also Step 2 and they were in that from 2001/02 to 2003/04 when they lost in the promotion PO Final to St Albans for promotion to the Conference South, when the leagues were restructured.

No investment went into the playing budget at all from about 2006 onwards to 2018ish from the previous owner. Crowds suffered and therefore the playing budget. Crowds and the budget are much higher now than they were even in 2006. So yes no reason at all they can't get promoted in next 3 to 4 years.

Basically, from being reformed in 91/92 it took Bedford 10 years to get from SSML Div 1 to Step 2 (Ryman Prem) and then for the period from 2007 to 2018ish they were just stagnating and not really attempting to get promoted due to low playing budget. Then a couple of Covid interrupted seasons so only last season they really got going again.

Edited by LondonEagle

RaIIyInRaIeigh - This is quite interesting, Peter McCormack says that he pays 50% tax, presumably that is in this Country however he seems to be resident in the US most of the time doesn't he. It's nice to see a Real Bedford shirt in the background, he never wastes an opportunity to promote his Club:

Edited by Rhodes

8 hours ago, Rhodes said:

RaIIyInRaIeigh - This is quite interesting, Peter McCormack says that he pays 50% tax, presumably that is in this Country however he seems to be resident in the US most of the time doesn't he. It's nice to see a Real Bedford shirt in the background, he never wastes an opportunity to promote his Club:

The money going into Real Bedford is not his money though. He has been quite clear about that from the outset. It seems to be a mixture of sponsors money, people buying 'merch' and possibly investors money, although he has never actually named any investors. Peter lives in a fairly modest house on an estate in Bedford and tweeted that the bank would not approve a remortgage on his house. Around about the same time he tweeted that he was lying to his bank in order to take loans out to buy Bitcoin with.

Good win for Real at London Tigers today, although shame to see Ampthill Town knock them off their perch at the top of the league. 

Edited by LondonEagle

On 03/09/2022 at 21:00, LondonEagle said:

Peter lives in a fairly modest house on an estate in Bedford

LondonEagle - That's interesting, Peter seems to spend most of his time in the States however if he is paying 50% in tax to the UK Government what is his actual job, is that 50% based on his declared Bitcoin income. Congratulations by the way on Bedford Town's FA Cup win at Kempston Rovers on Saturday in front of a crowd of 511, did you attend.

6 hours ago, Rhodes said:

LondonEagle - That's interesting, Peter seems to spend most of his time in the States however if he is paying 50% in tax to the UK Government what is his actual job, is that 50% based on his declared Bitcoin income. Congratulations by the way on Bedford Town's FA Cup win at Kempston Rovers on Saturday in front of a crowd of 511, did you attend.

I'm not sure I agree with the idea he spends most of his time in the states. He's at every Bedford game and more and more of his guests are coming to his studio in town. Lots of "Thank you for coming to Bedford" at the top of his podcasts lately so while he certainly globetrots, often to the states, for various bitcoin functions or interviews previously, I think he's working far more locally because the team is taking on a lot of his time. 

I won't pretend to know the first thing about UK taxes. Hell, I'm lucky to keep my own straight haha. 50% would be outrageously high in the states, though. Like you probably would come close but not reach that combined even if you lived in the highest tax brackets in a state like California. 

London, do you have a source on him not putting any money into the club? He has been very clear that he wants to run the club profitably. I don't interpret that as him being unwilling to invest his own dollars into the club, though. He just expects to spend less than what he earns and is able to earn far more than most (probably all, though I can't say that with 100% confidence) given his global reach. The merchandise sales across the globe given his personal brand brings in a lot of money and he's using less than what he earns back into the club. I mean, that is his money he's spending in the end. The fact that he IS trying to run a club from a somewhat financially responsible standpoint is one of the things I find fascinating. I understand it's generally off putting to people and clubs at this level because having half a million in sponsorships might as well be a billion compared to his peers but unless I've missed something, he purchased the club himself and he's running it day to day pretty directly. He's obviously invested. That said, I'm not like Peter's mouthpiece and I don't agree with MUCH of what he says and does. He's far more of a maverick than I am. But I love the story of the football club, specifically. 

i have heard him say he is 'not a rich man' - I am sure he puts some money into the club.

I just don't think he is a Glenn Tamplin-type figure, as has been mentioned - guy who burned through a lot of his money quickly on a non-league football club and then got bored and left. The fact that he is not like Tamplin is a good thing, obviously.

Karen will hate, sorry, detest, all this interaction with new members rearing 'their ugly head', she wants to see the Forum die a death so she can rule the SSML rooost. Having said that though, there appears to be a 'new kid on the block' called 'Everything SSML, I am not entirely sure who it is but he seems to be verwell informed:

Edited by Rhodes

Another impressive match programme from Real Bedford's SSML Challenge Trophy First Round tie against fellow Division One Club Raunds Town who will already be dreading re-visiting McMullen Park on Saturday 5 November following their 9-1 humiliation last night:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/619758344d16e93725c39d0a/t/63174cf28d4eb2104025c393/1662471458162/Real+Bedford+v+Raunds+Town+(GCT).pdf

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

Another impressive match programme from Real Bedford's SSML Challenge Trophy First Round tie against fellow Division One Club Raunds Town who will already be dreading re-visiting McMullen Park on Saturday 5 November following their 9-1 humiliation last night:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/619758344d16e93725c39d0a/t/63174cf28d4eb2104025c393/1662471458162/Real+Bedford+v+Raunds+Town+(GCT).pdf

These really are sharp. I enjoy getting the small articles from the owner, captain and manager. Makes for some fun insight. 

On 30/08/2022 at 22:52, RallyInRaleigh said:

Great intel, thank you. I've certainly been absorbing as much information and content as I can on non league football and especially those in the Bedfordshire of late. It's been fun to really take it all in. While a trip out to see the area and take in some games is still far out in the horizon, I look forward to doing so one day. Might have to drop the wife off in Paris to make it happen but it's on my list!

RaIIyInRaIeigh - There are a number of other Club's based in Bedford such as AFC Bedford United, Bedford SA, Bedford Wanderers and Bedford Albion who all play in the Bedfordshire County Football League so it's not just about Bedford Town and Real Bedford. Bedford Town have always ruled the roost in the town however that's all about to change following Mr McCormack's arrival at McMullen Park, considering the size of its urban area Bedford is actually one of the largest towns in England without a fully professional football team and is better known for rugby. 

Edited by Rhodes

9 hours ago, Rhodes said:

RaIIyInRaIeigh - There are a number of other Club's based in Bedford such as AFC Bedford United, Bedford SA, Bedford Wanderers and Bedford Albion who all play in the Bedfordshire County Football League so it's not just about Bedford Town and Real Bedford. Bedford Town have always ruled the roost in the town however that's all about to change following Mr McCormack's arrival at McMullen Park, considering the size of its urban area Bedford is actually one of the largest towns in England without a fully professional football team and is better known for rugby. 

lol The earliest Real Bedford can finish above Bedford Town in the league and lay claim to being the biggest club in Bedford is the 2025/26 season.  A long time to wait for the majority of their foreign-based fans.   I can tell you we are not too worried yet. 

This in an interesting listen. By the sounds of it Pete McCoemack doesn't have any other plan other than begging Bedford Blues Rugby Club to share their ground. In which case they would charge a fortune in rent, keep all bar and food income on match-days and would make it impossible to sustain a Football League club on that sort of limited income.

https://fountain.fm/clip/HN9R8htNsgryWgFjPk3V

irrespective of the fact that they turned down Bedford Town years ago when they were enquiring about a groundshare and they were probably more businesslike than talking about it on a podcast.

The more you read and hear about the Real Bedford project, the more you realise it is basically built on sand.   Pete has no money to build a new stadium with,  the current site is not big enough to build a new stadium on and if he tries to groundshare with Bedford Blues he will probably end up being frogmarched off the premises there as well.         

Edited by LondonEagle

LondonEagle - Thanks for that, it was a good listen. I noted that Bedford Town were criticised by Mr McCormack for 'giving up' their ladies team saying that 'they just didn't look after them', is that correct as I thought Bedford Ladies were still playing in the Eastern Region League, at The Eyrie..