Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Bedford FC

2 hours ago, RallyInRaleigh said:

I'm having fun. Might have to see if I could make it in for a promotion party if things continue on this path.

RaIIyInRaIeigh - Saturday's game at Amersham Town will be an interesting one, it all hinges on whether Real Bedford's defence can keep Lewis Putman quiet. Then they are at the same venue next Tuesday to take on London Tigers however it's a Division One Cup tie so there will sadIy be no live stream for you and Cruz to watch.

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

RaIIyInRaIeigh - Saturday's game at Amersham Town will be an interesting one, it all hinges on whether Real Bedford's defence can keep Lewis Putman quiet. Then they are at the same venue next Tuesday to take on London Tigers however it's a Division One Cup tie so there will sadIy be no live stream for you and Cruz to watch.

Definitely will be interesting to see how the manage to keep up with these top scorers. Evans from Moulton never got anything going but they barely possessed the ball, seemingly, after the first 15 minutes or so. I've been encouraged to see Hitchcock and Brown step up with Walker sidelined. The offense has certainly been humming all season and hope that depth will give them a leg up on the competition as the season progresses. 

Rob SincIair wiII Iose Jordan Brown to suspension at some point as he picks up yeIIow cards Iike confetti, or at Ieast he did at Eynesbury Rovers when he was there, perhaps he is a reformed character these days.

On 20/09/2022 at 19:33, Rhodes said:

- See the match programme from this evening's MouIton FC game, it shouId be an interesting affair. So your kick off time is 2.45pm then according to the graphic and, I gather, the same in BoIivia ?

Hello Rhodes. You are correct the kick off was at 2.45pm in Bolivia, Keep up the good work, as I enjoy reading your posts.

3 hours ago, Cruz said:

Hello Rhodes. You are correct the kick off was at 2.45pm in Bolivia, Keep up the good work, as I enjoy reading your posts

Thanks Cruz, it won't pIease Karen to read that, it's a shame more members don't contribute and it is Ieft to new ReaI Bedford fans overseas thanks to Peter McCormack taking over the CIub aIthough, having said that, you are not a new fan and appear to have reIocated to BoIivia after your retirement for personaI reasons, presumabIy from Bedfordshire or Northamptonshire. It was interesting to hear that you foIIowed the CIub back in the day when they were stiII known as Diemer & Reynolds, that was a good few years ago as I recaII Bedford United joined the United Counties League, in Division Three, in 1971/72. What is BoIivia Iike by the way, do you enjoy living over there.

On 12/09/2022 at 21:04, RallyInRaleigh said:

I find it to be a very fair and accurate critique in how the locals perceive the club vs. the international fans like me. Locals both in those like Bedford Town but also the other SSML clubs are basically seeing (sorry USA centric themes incoming) The New York Yankees in Real Bedford. The are operating at a totally different level financially than their direct peers and, almost by definition, are the Goliath to the rest of their leagues David. Internationally, fans are operating as is we are on a year by year promotion schedule until proven otherwise and already view their peers as those floating closer to the National League. That's not reality but "we" (I hope you can all see I'm reasonable and actually invested in the SSML as it stands today) are looking up and seeing ourselves as the underdog against those top clubs and largely ignoring the present. 

I don't grant the premise on bitcoin harming the youth. How much time do you think kids spend thinking about the corporate values of "Fly Emirates" or "Qatar Airways" when watching a match? Are they concerned with the environmental impact of international flights? Or how the gas is sourced for those planes? Bitcoin is a high risk asset. It's not going to sneak into your kids bedroom at night and ask them to buy drugs. Real Bedford doesn't make fans use it in any way to attend a match. Or buy concessions. Or join the youth squad. Their team website has an entire section dedicated to providing resources to learn more and another on why it might not be right for you. And that's that. Peter is VERY passionate about it and holds meet ups to educate those that are interested in it locally. You don't have to attend them to get into a match or a discount on tickets. It's just kind of there. And I think it's wildly unfair to conflate Peter using it as a means to bring international interest and support to his club as somehow akin to asking kids to learn about gambling.

As for the local business angle, I also think that's a fair critique. He has stated publicly he wants to get more local support and at obvious discounts to what his club would demand on the open market. I'd suggested things like an official pub of the club where should say Bedford score 4 goals, all those with tickets get x% off drinks following the match. This type of tactic is something regularly used stateside have no clue if there is a similar model in the UK. Either way, I'd like to see more local business investment and imagine we will. Remember, he's owned the club for less than a year. It's going to take time to build these relationships especially when it's obvious that people have strong opinions on him either way and some just won't want to be aligned with him. I'm hopeful that you'll see more in the future especially as the club sees more local interest--which I understand it has. 

You know, you've said a lot of right and good things. I especially liked the one about discounts in the pub when goals are scored. It's an interesting model and will increase fan engagement. Need to offer something like this at my local pub :)

16 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Thanks Cruz, it won't pIease Karen to read that, it's a shame more members don't contribute and it is Ieft to new ReaI Bedford fans overseas thanks to Peter McCormack taking over the CIub aIthough, having said that, you are not a new fan and appear to have reIocated to BoIivia after your retirement for personaI reasons, presumabIy from Bedfordshire or Northamptonshire. It was interesting to hear that you foIIowed the CIub back in the day when they were stiII known as Diemer & Reynolds, that was a good few years ago as I recaII Bedford United joined the United Counties League, in Division Three, in 1971/72. What is BoIivia Iike by the way, do you enjoy living over there.

Hello Rhodes. I supported Bedford Town FC from 1963 to 1982 even going to Newcastle for that great win. I would watch Bedford United or Bedford Avenue when the Eagles did not have a match which was not often , I would also watch Bedford Reserves in the Metropolitan League, after the demise of Bedford Town, I started to watch Bedford United on a regular basis. I followed Diemer and Reynolds as they were my local team at the time. I was at the Bedford Utd v Bedford Town match when the attendance was over 1000.

I retired five years ago and thankfully in good health, I decided I wanted to experience life in another country upon research I discovered that most South American countries offer retirement visa's providing your income is not less than $1200 per month. Why Bolivia? Bolivia and Paraguay have the cheapest cost of living, my pension goes  a long way here. and I was already in contact with some Bolivian people. Yes I am loving living in Bolivia and have had no problems.

I have the opportunity to watch so much live football here. Every Saturday I can watch three Premier League games , two on Sundays, plus midweek matches. Champions League football I normally have a selection of five live matches to select from two are normally English teams. I limit myself to watching football here as not only can I watch live Bolivian matches, live matches here are also available from Spain, Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Italy, France and the Netherlands. At the moment I am watching the Belguim v Wales match. Viva Real Bedford for Saturday at Amersham.

4 hours ago, Cruz said:

I was at the Bedford Utd v Bedford Town match when the attendance was over 1000.

I was at the game as well. Hard to believe 30 years ago now. Went to all 4 of the Bedford Town v United games in the SML as it was then in 91/92 and 92/93. Both teams had some good players then -  Jason Reed and Ian Phelan at Bedford Town,  Tony McGovern at Bedford United and Jamie Hunter who played for both. Saw Jamie at Bedford Town last season with a few other of Town's ex-players from that era. The United Manager was Neil Kirkup i think, who scored the winning goal in my first-ever Bedford Town match (also my first ever football match in 1980 v Corby.

91/92 United finished 3rd in the league and Town 4th and 92/92 Town were promoted as Champions and United finished 3rd. Town's goal difference was plus 124 that season and won 36 out of 42 games. Real Bedford yet to drop a point this season so on course to be as good or better a season than that for them, can't see anyone except maybe Ampthill getting even close to them.

6 hours ago, Cruz said:

even going to Newcastle for that great win

Have you stiII got the programme ?:

Picture 1 of 2

I watched the Amersham Town verses Real Bedford match today, I was nervous before the match started and for most of the match as Amersham had not previously lost and with Lewis Putman playing for the home team I was a little apprehensive,  with Dan Walker still absent from the team (I hope he as not left the club and he is really out through injury) we appear to be short of height up front, although Real Bedford have made a couple of very good signings and the team are still scoring goals. If ,Ampthill were to lose before Real Bedford lose they would be under a lot of pressure.The one dark horse I fear is Rugby Borough unknown team.  Thank you Peter McCormack. Sadly will not be able to watch the London Tigers  cup match.

Cruz - It is good to hear you enjoyed the game this afternoon aIthough part morning for you in BoIivia, did you see the match programme:  

b7ce89_fc6d350068cf4610abb5f7d29f28391f.pdf (wixlabs-pdf-dev.appspot.com)

Billede

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

Cruz - It is good to hear you enjoyed the game this afternoon aIthough part morning for you in BoIivia, did you see the match programme:  

b7ce89_fc6d350068cf4610abb5f7d29f28391f.pdf (wixlabs-pdf-dev.appspot.com)

Billede

The programme makes interesting reading.

The goal from Knight was nutty. I more or less listened to yesterdays game as I took advantage of the fine early fall weather to detail the cars. But that goal got me buzzing a bit. Sad we can't watch the cup game coming up but hoping for an easier go of it against the Tigers this time around 

RaIIyInRaIeigh - Yes, here's the goaI again:

Edited by Rhodes

Hello London Eagle. I thank you so much for the Internet address of Bedford Town history. It is a real blast from the past with so many faces from times past, I remember these players as though it was only yesterday, these players were my heroes at the time, I recall arriving at the Queens Park Eyrie early in the hope I could obtain autographs, I was very young at the time. I attended all the Bedford Utd verses Bedford Town matches like yourself, at this point of time was supporting United. I remember Jamie Hunter and Tony McGovern great players at this level. Did McGovern become manager of St Neots for a period of time? I believe Neil Kirkup played a few matches for the Eagles? I am not saying you are incorrect but I believe the manger of Bedford Utd at the time was a player manager called Smith, once again thank you for allowing me to re-live those memories.

On 12/09/2022 at 10:48, LondonEagle said:

No Bedford Ladies are now wearing Real Bedford kits and play at McMullen Park. Real Bedford have partnered with their Ladies and girls sides

They certainly look the part:

Billede

21 hours ago, Cruz said:

I believe Neil Kirkup played a few matches for the Eagles? I am not saying you are incorrect but I believe the manger of Bedford Utd at the time was a player manager called Smith, once again thank you for allowing me to re-live those memories.

Yes, Mark Smith was maybe the player-manager?  I think Kirkup was maybe a player for Beford United then or coach? It's a long time ago and no internet pages to check it up on.

10 minutes ago, LondonEagle said:

Yes, Mark Smith was maybe the player-manager?  I think Kirkup was maybe a player for Beford United then or coach? It's a long time ago and no internet pages to check it up on

Those were the days though weren't they when it was proper football, unlike now, and we managed perfectly well back then without computers and mobile phones. Did Neil Kirkup have a brother called Joe out of interest who played for West Ham, Chelsea and Southampton.

Further to the above, there has been a Iot of discussion of Iate, including on Ollie Bayliss's BBC Three Counties Radio Non League Show last Saturday, to abolish replays in the FA Cup. Bedford Town have had their fair share of replays in the competition over the years such as four games with Wycombe Wanderers in the First Round proper in 1966/67, three games with Kettering Town in the Fourth Qualifying Round in 1974/75 and three games with Wycombe Wanderers again in the First Round proper in 1975/76. There are numerous occasions of just one replay incIuding obviousIy ArsenaI in 1955/56 and Brighton in 1965/66 when they went on to reach the Fourth Round proper Iosing to the eventuaI winners of the competition that season.