Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Disappointed and Disillusioned

LukeXIX

I didn’t want to be the first to post but it’s been a tough week and wanted to give my opinion on the game. 

Personally Leiston were poor and represented an Essex Senior League side at best. We knocked the ball around well in the first half and had opportunities to score, how Leahy missed I’ll never know and he has been poor since joining.

Second half it seemed a lot more lethargic and it came across as we were just over the park knocking it about. Chances come and we missed them, we are all human. Just feel like if we came out like the normal second half Hornchurch we would’ve scored 4 or 5.
I get we have injuries and a lot of them but on paper that squad was 2 times better than our opposition and we just didn’t show it.

Penalties can go either way I get that. But when we miss the final penalty and players are laughing that I do not accept. 3hrs on a coach these fans travelled and for a ‘I don’t care attitude’ that’s not acceptable. We can concentrate on the league now but I will not accept a can’t be bothered attitude and that only spirals downhill rapidly. Hopefully this is behind us and we can move onwards and upwards. Essay over.  

To be fair I don’t think it’s a bad thing, injuries are already stacking up, we don’t need anymore, What you will have is a lot of games postponed and moved to Tuesday night. Our focus this year has always been the league, been a bad week but the worst thing to come out of it was Nash getting injured rather than the actual results. Big weeks coming up now, whilst Ricay, Enfield and Horsham have FA cup commitments and others have Trophy games we  need to make sure that we win when these games, will put a lot of pressure on their games in hand. Anyone know when Nash is back and also if Higgins was rested or injured? 

Edited by Up the chins

I too was not overly concerned about the fa trophy, league is everything to me this season - however we still should have had enough on the pitch to win and we didn’t take our chances. Doubt if their guy is going to hit a shot like that again for a while. Hoping we have players back on Tuesday as Hastings will be a bigger threat than Leiston. Well done to them, decent people at their club. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/10/2023 at 18:46, LukeXIX said:

I didn’t want to be the first to post but it’s been a tough week and wanted to give my opinion on the game. 

Personally Leiston were poor and represented an Essex Senior League side at best. We knocked the ball around well in the first half and had opportunities to score, how Leahy missed I’ll never know and he has been poor since joining.

Second half it seemed a lot more lethargic and it came across as we were just over the park knocking it about. Chances come and we missed them, we are all human. Just feel like if we came out like the normal second half Hornchurch we would’ve scored 4 or 5.
I get we have injuries and a lot of them but on paper that squad was 2 times better than our opposition and we just didn’t show it.

Penalties can go either way I get that. But when we miss the final penalty and players are laughing that I do not accept. 3hrs on a coach these fans travelled and for a ‘I don’t care attitude’ that’s not acceptable. We can concentrate on the league now but I will not accept a can’t be bothered attitude and that only spirals downhill rapidly. Hopefully this is behind us and we can move onwards and upwards. Essay over.  

100% Agee, absolutely gutted that we are out of both cups, really thought we had a chance of getting into the first round proper of the FA Cup, and your right Leahy scores that against Leiston and that game over, but to be fair to the lad, he was taken off at half time when we were 1-0 up, 2nd half we were shocking, forget the missed pen, the amazing thing was he started the majority of that 2nd half team against Hastings, Morisons must be blaming Leahy for the performance, because he got left out?

I thought pre-season Leahy was one of our better players, but ever since he got that public rollocking from Morison, the boy has gone backwards, you can see from his body language that his head is not in it, it’s weird and correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t he at Cardiff with Steve Morison? you would think they would be on the same page, it’s a shame because my lad lives in Cardiff and when Leahy signed for us his words were, we got a star in the making on our hands and he couldn’t understand why he signed for a non-league club? Somethings not right.

Anyway Lennon Peake as come in, cracking take and finish against Hastings to get us quickly back in the game, and he and George look like a good match for Nash and Ade, and long May it continue, and we’ve also got Femi to add to the up front power, nothing less then a landslide promotion will do for me mow, exciting times.

Think it's way too early to start talking about promotion yet, a lot can happen. We had a relatively commanding position near the end of last season and threw it away. It does feel with the manager and personnel we now have available that we can go one better this time, that result against Haringey and giving Aveley a run for their money whilst being injury hit shows that this squad keeps fighting until the end. Rather be in our position than Concord !! I can only see us improving

Agree with cup of tea, also just seen on our webpage that Leahy has left, dont know what to make of one of our youngest players leaving, maybe he jumped or was pushed, but whatever we wish him all the best for the future, seemed like a good lad 👍

Will we get in a replacement or do we think that was why we got in Femi last week?

At this level and no longer in the cups, squad size is crucial tbh. We have a couple of players coming back from injury and by my counting this gives us a squad size of 22. Jack showed some promise initially, however things never worked out. I wish him well for the future.

As per the updates on the website Jack has gone to Chipstead FC to get some game time which is something he has lacked thus far at Hornchurch.  It's an agreement between the clubs.  Whether that is an official loan or just a verbal understanding it isn't clear but personally I'd like to see Jack back at Hornchurch in the future as he showed a lot of promise especially in his first few games.

Normally such arrangements would be via dual registration but I suspect because Chipstead are also an Isthmian side (they play in the Isthmian South Central) that avenue isn't permitted under league rules.

Edited by andydick