Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

v Hampton & Richmond (away)

Reading Rebel

Am I right in saying Hampton relayed their pitch and drainage during the summer? if so hopefully, despite the weather, the game will be on.

Being New Years Day not sure the 1pm KO was a great idea.

Some clubs are playing today and there is a game being played tomorrow which to me seems better than playing on NYD.

Edited by Reading Rebel

3 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

Am I right in saying Hampton relayed their pitch and drainage during the summer? if so hopefully, despite the weather, the game will be on.

Being New Years Day not sure the 1pm KO was a great idea.

Some clubs are playing today and there is a game being played tomorrow which to me seems better than playing on NYD.

Saw highlights of their recent game v Weston Super Mare and it seemed OK. I must admit I was expecting a more lush surface, but didn't detect any difference to when we were last there!! Obviously the improved drainage would be the difference.

I just hope the "bounce" won't give them the advantage, like in the reverse fixture.............

On 31/12/2023 at 15:42, Windsor Rebel said:

Thanks for the information Reading Rebel, I look forward to seeing our strikers

score with every kick and not miss any at all.

Glad the pennies dropped WR 😏

On 31/12/2023 at 16:19, GlenSTFC said:

Hampton are very bold for setting such prices but it’s obviously working out for them with a much higher than last season average attendance. I’d expect they’d be around 1,500 there tomorrow and hopefully we can take 200+. With players returning we’ll have a stronger 16 and I hope we go for the win.

Only because the're doing well. 

Edited by Reading Rebel

Morning everyone and a happy new year! Thanks for your support throughout 2023.

I enjoy the opinions on here, whether they’re good, bad or indifferent as it shows that we care about the club.

We won’t always see eye to eye or agree with one another but that’s what makes football great.

Hopefully 2024 can bring less stress than 2023, especially from January to April last year, but a lot of hard work left to do to climb the table and be able to relax a little bit sooner than last season.

Thanks again, 

Scotty!

An extremely frustrating match to watch - how we came away with nothing I will never know. Hampton were poor all game and barely threatened, yet we gifted them two goals as we wasted chance after chance.

On to the next, but properly bewildered how we haven't got three points today.

51 minutes ago, michaelSTFC said:

An extremely frustrating match to watch - how we came away with nothing I will never know. Hampton were poor all game and barely threatened, yet we gifted them two goals as we wasted chance after chance.

On to the next, but properly bewildered how we haven't got three points today.

Played really well did not deserve to lose The ref gave us nothing Sickning to lose in the last minute 

It's a Monday, and we are away to a team 2nd in the table. So I knew we would lose 😁

Seriously though, I agree with michaelSTFC in that Hampton were poor (or we made them look poor?) throughout and IMO deserved nothing on the balance of play today. We did most of the pressuring, and Dan Lincoln only had one save of any note to make before Hampton opened the scoring, whereas we fluffed chance after chance. Not that any of them were easy, but we must have had 12+ chances to make the keeper work but ended up with only the 1 late goal. Hampton had about 4 or 5, yet snuck what was IMO a fortuitous win. I suppose that's why they're 2nd and we're not.

One moment of lapsed concentration at the back (shortly after our equaliser) and poor finishing are what cost us today.

Posted (edited)

Gutted to lose in that manor.

We were the better side for most of the game but wasteful and toothless where it matters, in the final third.

After going a goal down we drag ourselves back into the game with our first cross of any real quality and then proceed to fall asleep at the far post gifting Hampton all three points.

We were the better side but if you don't make the most of your opportunities and then don't defend properly you get what you deserve.

Edited by Reading Rebel

2 hours ago, Nathan said:

It's a Monday, and we are away to a team 2nd in the table. So I knew we would lose 😁

Seriously though, I agree with michaelSTFC in that Hampton were poor (or we made them look poor?) throughout and IMO deserved nothing on the balance of play today. We did most of the pressuring, and Dan Lincoln only had one save of any note to make before Hampton opened the scoring, whereas we fluffed chance after chance. Not that any of them were easy, but we must have had 12+ chances to make the keeper work but ended up with only the 1 late goal. Hampton had about 4 or 5, yet snuck what was IMO a fortuitous win. I suppose that's why they're 2nd and we're not.

One moment of lapsed concentration at the back (shortly after our equaliser) and poor finishing are what cost us today.

I wouldn't say Hampton were poor.

It wasn't a great performance from either side but yes we were the better side over the 90+ minutes but unfortunately not where it counts.

Hampton's game is based on resoluteness, home or away seemingly. Their defence blocked or headed away most of our efforts and their GK held everything else bar our goal.

They've fortuitously taken 4 points from those 2 games against us. This adds to the defeats at Welling, St. Albans, Maidstone, Chippenham, all by 1 goal where we should have at least earned a point.

Some work to be done to turn that ground into NL compliant if they do get promoted. Only one entrance, temporary stands and no room for expansion. They've run it close on promotion over the years, maybe this is their year.

10 minutes ago, Bernie Gogan said:

Hampton's game is based on resoluteness, home or away seemingly. Their defence blocked or headed away most of our efforts and their GK held everything else bar our goal.

They've fortuitously taken 4 points from those 2 games against us. This adds to the defeats at Welling, St. Albans, Maidstone, Chippenham, all by 1 goal where we should have at least earned a point.

Some work to be done to turn that ground into NL compliant if they do get promoted. Only one entrance, temporary stands and no room for expansion. They've run it close on promotion over the years, maybe this is their year.

Once this unbeaten run they are on ends, they will fall away quite quickly. They did not impress me at all over the 2 games and today the referee was their best player!!

I still have no idea what George Hunt brings to the party, he has been anonymous in the 2 games just like he was in 2 years for us.

31 minutes ago, Wycombe Rebel said:

Once this unbeaten run they are on ends, they will fall away quite quickly. They did not impress me at all over the 2 games and today the referee was their best player!!

I still have no idea what George Hunt brings to the party, he has been anonymous in the 2 games just like he was in 2 years for us.

Fully agree regarding Hunt, wasn’t bothered when he left and was surprised Hampton signed him and still wondering what they see in him after watching him play against us in these 2 matches. Maybe he uses the same agent as Ryan Hope?

Edited by GlenSTFC

44 minutes ago, Bernie Gogan said:

Extremely frustrating to come away with nothing today, we deserved to win but for a mix of decent goalkeeping, great defending, poor attempts and officiating. A lot of 50/50’s went against us plus many fouls unnoticed, feels a real injustice. Also not impressed with Hampton over these 2 matches but we should give ourselves credit for limiting their normal game. We could have gained 6, should have had 4 but cruelly end up with just 1 point. 

47 minutes ago, Bernie Gogan said:

Agree their ground has to be one of the worst in our division. Looks to be very tight on 2 sides of the ground with next to no room to expand. The only side they could properly develop is the side with 3 dilapidated stands. Would imagine they’d have a massive bill to bring this upto NL standards.

Posted (edited)

There's no point in going on about what we could or should have done in the games we've narrowly lost.

We're half way through the season and teams are where they are for a reason.

The teams at the top of the table in the play-offs and going for promotion turn those slim narrow defeats into wins and draws.

Hampton are second because they've got new owners who've invested money into the club and have the players who will grind out results when the going gets tough.

Purely on performance over the two games we should have got 4 points if not 6 but instead we have ended up with 1 point.

We have a run of games coming up in January where we play 3 teams who are around us and 4 teams who are at the top.

As it stands we definitely have the right players to avoid the trap door and finish around mid table but we do need some more bodies and it does look like we are struggling to get the right type of player on board.   

We have points and games in hand on other teams but have a bad January and we could be right in a relegation scrap again.

Edited by Reading Rebel