Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

V Weymouth A 13.1.24

IMO theres no reason we cant come away with the 3 points Weymouth struggling to maintain their status have become very fixed on  packing their defence 2wins in their last 10 games but 6 draws 5 of them 1-1.

6 minutes ago, Irishadrian said:

IMO theres no reason we cant come away with the 3 points Weymouth struggling to maintain their status have become very fixed on  packing their defence 2wins in their last 10 games but 6 draws 5 of them 1-1.

There are always reasons why a team doesn't get 3 points when according to the form book and position in the table they really should.

Weymouth are fighting for their lives and I expect another very difficult game but if we play to our capabilities we can certainly come away with a result from the game.

Teams will often draw a lot of games when they consider themselves in a relegation battle, and it seems to be where Weymouth are at present, drawing 4 of their last six home matches.

They would probably be very happy with a point considering our present form, & might set themselves up for it, so will probably be very difficult to beat.

It will be a very different proposition for us, but if we can win at Bath midweek (when not starting with Lench, Goddard, Minhas or Dyce) then there is a fair chance we can do the same at Weymouth on Saturday.

On 10/01/2024 at 13:22, Curtis said:

Teams will often draw a lot of games when they consider themselves in a relegation battle, and it seems to be where Weymouth are at present, drawing 4 of their last six home matches.

They would probably be very happy with a point considering our present form, & might set themselves up for it, so will probably be very difficult to beat.

It will be a very different proposition for us, but if we can win at Bath midweek (when not starting with Lench, Goddard, Minhas or Dyce) then there is a fair chance we can do the same at Weymouth on Saturday.

If Weymouth are happy to park the bus and get a point at home then they are in serious trouble.

At home I think any club should always go for 3 points and try to get a point or 3 away from home.

Edited by Reading Rebel

Hate to be that guy, but....

Weymouth 2-1 Slough 

Sundire to score 

Crowd 750

2 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

Well have to say that was a thumping and a game to forget.

I really hope Tuesday is off because we look as if we need a break before Maidstone on Saturday.

Is that tbe same Maidstone who have drawn 3 and lost 3 of their last 7 away league games

Im sure Taunton will be on. No significant rain last7 days but Taun ton still in meltdown 8 players gone in 10 days and social media in turmoil after todays loss of 2 points to Dover.

Edited by Irishadrian

4 hours ago, Irishadrian said:

Is that tbe same Maidstone who have drawn 3 and lost 3 of their last 7 away league games

Im sure Taunton will be on. No significant rain last7 days but Taun ton still in meltdown 8 players gone in 10 days and social media in turmoil after todays loss of 2 points to Dover.

It's the Maidstone that are in 4th place on merit only on goal difference to the teams in 2nd and 3rd place.

I shouldn't worry about the rain, if it's called off it'll be because of the sub zero temperatures.

RR Its realtime that matters Theyve taken 5 points out of 21 in their last 7 away games  and we know how long we are unbeaten at fortress Arbour.

The long range forecasts for Mon/ Tues for Taunton dont suggest any ice around but who knows?

Edited by Irishadrian

3 minutes ago, Irishadrian said:

RR Its realtime that matters Theyve taken 5 points out of 21 in their last 7 away games  and we know how long we are unbeaten at fortress Arbour.

Weymouth had only won once in their last 6 home games before they played us. 

Fortress AP as it stands but form can change at any time.

No views yet on a result that on the surface looks like a sound beating but maybe wasn't?

I've just read a comment from someone who said that we were the better side in the first half until they scored the first goal which was offside?

Second half we went very much on the offensive bringing on Ogbonna and Slavi.

Slavi missed a sitter that could have made it a different game at 1-1.

So maybe the change in personnel/formation at half time could have worked in our favour if we took our chances but in the end Weymouth were a lot more clinical in front of goal?

Edited by Reading Rebel

Not for the  first time I'm wondering if I know anything about football.
We lost yesterday.
3-0.
Reading Rebel posted on here earlier that 
"Well have to say that was a thumping and a game to forget.
I really hope Tuesday is off because we look as if we need a break before Maidstone on Saturday."
Scotty was also very downbeat in his written and verbal comments after the match.
He even apologised to the travelling fans for the team's performance.
Is it me?
Do I see things totally one sided through amber and blue tinted spectacles?
Was that a 3-0 thrashing ?
I didn't think so.
I thought the scoreline was extremely flattering to Weymouth.
I can accept losing a game.
We can't all be Man City fans.
I thought though that we dominated the first 30 minutes of the game.
We looked a very confident, competent team in this period, passing the ball nicely from wing to wing and winning the ball back quickly when we lost possession.
A running theme throughout the game was that Weymouth defended their box very well, getting in blocks and bodies in the way of shots we attempted on their goal.
With a stronger ref Weymouth could have been down to 10 men I thought in the first half.
Weymouth's number 15 cynically scythed down Johnny G just outside the area as he ran in on goal, and surely it was the same player who soon after made another reckless tackle on the touchline which could easily have resulted in a yellow card and therefore a red, but with this poor ref he only got a  talking to.
( I don't normally remember ref's from previous games, but I did this one. 
If my memory is correct I don't think he has given us very much in any game he has been in charge.
I wasn't pleased to see him again.) 
After the first 30 minutes Weymouth came back into the game, but  if halftime had come with the score at 0-0 I think Weymouth would have been mighty pleased and relieved.
Yet they somehow got to the break 1-0 up !
It was obvious that the  Slough player's  were not happy with the goal, as many of them strode in the direction of the linesman ( but kept a respectful distance)  showing their displeasure at what I guessed from watching from behind the goal at the other end, was an offside that was not given.
Other more observant Rebel fans said that the linesman started to put his flag up for offside during the move that led to the goal, but then put his flag down.
Was it half offside linesman?
The second half we never got the control of the game that we had had in the first.
Was it the double substitution we made at halftime that led to this ?
I was pleased to see two attackers come on, it was a very bold and positive move.
With hindsight ( we are all geniuses with hindsight ) perhaps putting more bodies directly upfront led to gaps appearing in the midfield area which hadn't been there in the first half, and Weymouth to their credit took full advantage of this.
Slavi who again played well when he came on had a great chance to make it 1-1, and if that had gone in who knows how the game would have gone.,
When Weymouth scored their 2nd, from memory it seemed that all the Slough players were in Weymouth's half, and the Weymouth striker had the whole Slough half to himself and all the time in the world to chip Dan in goal.
Fair play he took it well, but when it went to 2-0 you just knew it was going to be one of those days.
A cracking 3rd goal on 90 minutes and a 3-0 scoreline would look like we were never in the game, but, for me anyway, that was not the case.
And can somebody explain what was Weymouth's number 4's problem ?
Near the end of the game he was on their 6 yard line and he turned to us Slough fans behind the goal with  two clenched fist's and arm gestures that suggested a mix between
" YOU WANT SOME, YOU WANT SOME, I'LL GIVE YOU SOME"
and 
"STUFF YOU".
At the final whistle he hadn't finished.
He put his finger to his lips as if to say 
" Ssssshhhhh" 
Totally unnecessary I thought.
So we lost.
No problem losing a game, but I didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as some may have thought.

Edited by Holyport Rebel

It was the manner of the goals, they didn’t have to work hard for them at all. I/we can take being cut open with quality but for the first goal we gave the ball away and then didn’t pick up in our defending third, and then for the second goal one long ball pumped over the top and before we know it, the game is done.

I’ll never be content with losing 3-0, even if the performance was good. For all the territory and possession we might have had in comparison to them, it’s my job to look at how they managed to score on the 3 occasions in which they did. After all, it’s the goals that win or lose you games!

If Slavi scores then no doubt about it, we would’ve changed shape again to make us more solid to be sure that we would’ve left with something, but for as long as it was 1-0 I’d have rather go down by having a go as such.

Just a disappointing day, and yes I do think 3-0 flatters them so that shows that they didn’t have to work overly hard for it.

47 minutes ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Not for the  first time I'm wondering if I know anything about football.
We lost yesterday.
3-0.
Reading Rebel posted on here earlier that 
"Well have to say that was a thumping and a game to forget.
I really hope Tuesday is off because we look as if we need a break before Maidstone on Saturday."
Scotty was also very downbeat in his written and verbal comments after the match.
He even apologised to the travelling fans for the team's performance.
Is it me?
Do I see things totally one sided through amber and blue tinted spectacles?
Was that a 3-0 thrashing ?
I didn't think so.
I thought the scoreline was extremely flattering to Weymouth.
I can accept losing a game.
We can't all be Man City fans.
I thought though that we dominated the first 30 minutes of the game.
We looked a very confident, competent team in this period, passing the ball nicely from wing to wing and winning the ball back quickly when we lost possession.
A running theme throughout the game was that Weymouth defended their box very well, getting in blocks and bodies in the way of shots we attempted on their goal.
With a stronger ref Weymouth could have been down to 10 men I thought in the first half.
Weymouth's number 15 cynically scythed down Johnny G just outside the area as he ran in on goal, and surely it was the same player who soon after made another reckless tackle on the touchline which could easily have resulted in a yellow card and therefore a red, but with this poor ref he only got a  talking to.
( I don't normally remember ref's from previous games, but I did this one. 
If my memory is correct I don't think he has given us very much in any game he has been in charge.
I wasn't pleased to see him again.) 
After the first 30 minutes Weymouth came back into the game, but  if halftime had come with the score at 0-0 I think Weymouth would have been mighty pleased and relieved.
Yet they somehow got to the break 1-0 up !
It was obvious that the  Slough player's  were not happy with the goal, as many of them strode in the direction of the linesman ( but kept a respectful distance)  showing their displeasure at what I guessed from watching from behind the goal at the other end, was an offside that was not given.
Other more observant Rebel fans said that the linesman started to put his flag up for offside during the move that led to the goal, but then put his flag down.
Was it half offside linesman?
The second half we never got the control of the game that we had had in the first.
Was it the double substitution we made at halftime that led to this ?
I was pleased to see two attackers come on, it was a very bold and positive move.
With hindsight ( we are all geniuses with hindsight ) perhaps putting more bodies directly upfront led to gaps appearing in the midfield area which hadn't been there in the first half, and Weymouth to their credit took full advantage of this.
Slavi who again played well when he came on had a great chance to make it 1-1, and if that had gone in who knows how the game would have gone.,
When Weymouth scored their 2nd, from memory it seemed that all the Slough players were in Weymouth's half, and the Weymouth striker had the whole Slough half to himself and all the time in the world to chip Dan in goal.
Fair play he took it well, but when it went to 2-0 you just knew it was going to be one of those days.
A cracking 3rd goal on 90 minutes and a 3-0 scoreline would look like we were never in the game, but, for me anyway, that was not the case.
And can somebody explain what was Weymouth's number 4's problem ?
Near the end of the game he was on their 6 yard line and he turned to us Slough fans behind the goal with  two clenched fist's and arm gestures that suggested a mix between
" YOU WANT SOME, YOU WANT SOME, I'LL GIVE YOU SOME"
and 
"STUFF YOU".
At the final whistle he hadn't finished.
He put his finger to his lips as if to say 
" Ssssshhhhh" 
Totally unnecessary I thought.
So we lost.
No problem losing a game, but I didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as some may have thought.

I knew I could rely on you to give your usual honest opinion with another great post HR 👍