Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Dover (A) 27-01-2024

Curtis

A recently appointed new manager, Jake Leberl, and a new loan goalkeeper, Daniel Jinadu (from Maidenhead Utd), don’t appear to have changed the fortunes of Dover who are still in relegation form with only 5 points from their last six matches.

Although this is a tough league, we lost the home fixture 1-2 early in the season, and Dover managing to draw 8 of their 15 home matches it does look like a fixture most Slough fans would be hoping we will win.

My heart says a 2-1 win for Slough, my head says it will finish 1-1.

What are your thoughts?

Dover have drawn a lot of home games and the ones they've lost have mostly been by the odd goal so although they are bottom of the table they are by no means cannon fodder.

It looks like we will be making changes for this game with the likely hood that stalwart Matt Lench will not be in the squad after coming off injured on Tuesday.

I'd like to think we can get the win but my head tells me that a draw is the likely outcome.

What a really disappointing result. To have the bottom team do the double over us isn’t acceptable in my opinion. Along with the Weymouth match another massive missed opportunity to really close that gap on 7th… What went so wrong today?

Listened to the game on Rebels Radio and it sounded like a really abject performance and result.

Despite an attacking line up we reportedly had just a couple of efforts on target with our best chance described as a 'sitter' falling to David Ogbonna which would have given us the lead.

Further evidence to me that if we are missing too many key players we are just not the same side.

7 hours ago, GlenSTFC said:

What a really disappointing result. To have the bottom team do the double over us isn’t acceptable in my opinion. Along with the Weymouth match another massive missed opportunity to really close that gap on 7th… What went so wrong today?

We need to forget about stats and where a team is in the division.

If there was ever any doubt today is proof that if you don't turn up for a game you are very likely to get beat regardless of who you're playing. 

Edited by Reading Rebel

7 hours ago, GlenSTFC said:

It’s probably unacceptable to beat Maidstone who are football time and a huge resources. It’s probably unacceptable for Maidstone to beat Ipswich today. It’s football, it can happen. 

There was nothing in the game and one mistake has cost us. Hugely disappointing but I wouldn’t say it’s unacceptable, seems a tad harsh after the month we’ve just been through.

It’s been tough for the lads and I think they’ve done tremendously well. Beating Bath and Maidstone, drawing with Worthing are 3 fixtures where people didn’t expect us to get much from.

But don’t get me wrong, I do get it! It’s frustrating.

Very scrappy affair which had 0-0 written all over it. Not many clear cut chances, but

I was told by a Dover fan that their goal was a mistake made by our keeper (which

it certainly looked like from where i was standing)

Spoke to Matt Lench who said he should be OK for Tuesday. All in all a good day out

ruined by 90 minutes of football. Still as Scott says, you cant win them all

Edited by Windsor Rebel

The fact that we're lamenting not surging into the play-offs, whereas 3 months ago we were deep in a relegation scrap, is testament to how well the team have done recently.

However, the fact that Dover (who have won only 3 league games all season, 2 of which against us), have beaten us again is embarrassing and more than a little galling!

20 hours ago, Nathan said:

The fact that we're lamenting not surging into the play-offs, whereas 3 months ago we were deep in a relegation scrap, is testament to how well the team have done recently.

However, the fact that Dover (who have won only 3 league games all season, 2 of which against us), have beaten us again is embarrassing and more than a little galling!

Sometimes teams find it difficult to beat certain other teams and it seems Dover is currently one of those teams for us.

It was always going to be a difficult January and perhaps it was a game too far after the mammoth effort we put in to get a point against Worthing. 

Edited by Reading Rebel

Bad day at the office by the sounds of things. My prediction for points in Jan was 12 in total (finishing the month on 42). I had us down to beat Weymouth and Dover but get nothing at all from Bath, Worthing or Yeovil. When making the prediction we also had the Taunton game in there as well.

Regardless of result on Tuesday evening, think we have had a good January and moved ourselves closer to what should (for now) always be the clubs goal first and that for me is 50 points. Once we get there we can take stock and see the lay of the land for play offs, league finishes and relegation.