Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

v Tonbridge

12 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Excellent 3 points on the road 👍

Sets us up nicely for next Saturday's cracker at home to 4th placed Bath.

Yes great 3 points  Did Tonbridge try to close it down after they equalised or were both teams going for goal?

Bath were held today 1-1 by 23rd placed H&W so looking forward to next Saturday.

Do you armchair fans not actually go to our matches??!! Quite an even match and a draw would have been fair but a controversial goal (from my angle) gave us the piece of luck and a massive vital 3 points. Really puts us into a lovely position going into another big game next Saturday.

Edited by GlenSTFC

35 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

Do you armchair fans not actually go to our matches??!! Quite an even match and a draw would have been fair but a controversial goal (from my angle) gave us the piece of luck and a massive vital 3 points. Really puts us into a lovely position going into another big game next Saturday.

Dont forget to put the linos cheque in the post!😄

49 minutes ago, GeorgeS said:

I was standing to the left behind the lino and turned to my son at the time and said the ball looked over the line in the melee.

Lino’s flag went up, cue celebrations.

Glad I did my bit in helping the lino’s call 😂

If you don't ask you don't get - well done for educating the lino George!

Quite how we didn't slam the ball home in that almighty scramble I've no idea but we'll take millimetres over off the back of the pigtailed Tonbridge full backs leg instead!

Tonbridge you never felt were ever really desperate for a winner. 

Keeping the the season alive as long as possible is much more fun when it's relating to the p offs and not relegation!

40 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

Scott has to be nailed on for another manager of the month award after guiding the Rebels to 4 wins, 1 draw and no defeats in February.

You say ‘another’, it’s not something we’ve won before! Plus, have you not seen Braintree and their results?! 

Ive heard winning that can be a jinx too, so would rather not win it if that’s the case! 😅

But yeah, February has been a good month for sure! Thanks Glen 

18 hours ago, Irishadrian said:

Yes great 3 points  Did Tonbridge try to close it down after they equalised or were both teams going for goal?

Bath were held today 1-1 by 23rd placed H&W so looking forward to next Saturday.

I reckon because Bath drew with H&W next Saturday's game should be a walk in the park for us.

I was soooooooo close to claiming an assist for a Slough goal yesterday.
So close.
I reckon all ol you on here will think that I would have been delusional and completely wrong, ( almost certainly correct but that wouldn"t have stopped me thinking it ), but I forever would have put Lenchy's cracker yesterday down as an assist by me.
I'll explain shortly.
I like going to Tonbridge.
Quite easy place to get to,the coach parks in a pleasant,quite scenic car park right beside the ground ,and a nice park alongside it too.
Remembering a fantastic game there last season helps too.
We got there early, about 1.30, so as the weather was not bad I decided to go for a walk in the nearby park.
A bit of exercise is always good for you.
Remembering what happened at Yeovil and Torquay, and my troubles there getting a match programme,my first thought was to make sure that I got one for the game , which the Tonbridge website said would be available at a hut inside the ground.
Having checked with a friendly Tonbridge official on the gate that they would let me back in if I was to come out having already paid, I went through the turnstiles, bought my programme and then went out of the ground, heading towards the park.
After taking a few paces through their car park ,a car parked up in front of me, and a familiar figure wearing a cap got out.
It was Lenchy.
I was pleased to see him, as the last time I saw him was the last minute of the Dartford game when he was crumpled up on the pitch directly in front of me, in what looked like an awful lot of pain.   
I had wondered if he was going to be fit for today's game v Tonbridge.
" Hiya Lenchy" I said.
" How you feeling after that Dartford game. You looked in a hell of a lot of pain at the end. Are you ok to play today ?" I asked.
Lenchy is always approachable and friendly I've found.
He told me that it was extremely painful what happened to him at the end of the game against Dartford , but that he was ok and fit to play today.
I wished him good luck for today's game v Tonbridge, and was about to say something else to him but he had turned around and was  headed off to the players entrance.
My mouth was forming the words, and another second I"d have  said them to him, but I was a split second too slow.
I was about to say to him 
" Another 25 yarder into the top corner like last season would be great Lenchy."
I almost said it, but didn't.
So what happened ?
30 seconds into the game, Lenchy, 25 yards out, hits a screamer into the top corner !
95% of me is shouting " Yesssssssssssssss"
5% of me is thinking, "I don't  flippin' believe it. Why didn't I say that sentance to him earlier. I could have claimed in my mind an assist for it ! "
What a strike though.
We get to halftime level at 1-1, with everything to play for.
I've said I like going to Tonbridge.
Absolutely true apart from one thing.
Why do they employ such unpleasent security staff?
Last season we had an incident that was totally unnecessary and uncalled for, when a Rebels fan was threatened with eviction from the ground for no real reason.
Yesterday there was another incident involving one of their security staff and rebels fans.
Thankfully nowhere near the scale of last season', but again totally unnecessary as far as I could tell.
We had proper coppers watching us at Bromley, but they had a bored air about them, as if they'd rather be somewhere else.
The security staff at Tonbridge though are completely different, watching us like hawks for the whole game, waiting ( hoping ?) for something, anything to happen so that they can get involved.
I said last season that their security staff let Tonbridge Angels down, and I'm sad to see that this hasn't changed.   
Anyway,second half we have a couple  of near things, but we enter time added on with the score still 1-1.
Then we have our 1966 World Cup Final moment.
Was it over the line or wasn't it?
I'm sure if there had been smartphones back in 1966 someone at Wembley would have had footage on their phone as to whether Geoff Hurst's shot had definitely ( or not) crossed the line.
Thank God there weren't I think.
"Bonjour" at the ground didn't see our shot hit the crossbar, as he was looking at the linesman to see if he was awarding the "goal".
I was watching the action on the pitch, wishing that somebody in a Slough shirt would just smash the ball into the back of the net !
I didn't think it had crossed the line.
Not all of the  ball.
Who cares though, the linesman put his flag up to signal a goal and the ref blew his whistle in agreement.
As we piled onto the coach after the final whistle and the celebrations shared with the management and players, ( I enjoy those celebrations nearly as much as I do actually winning the game ), Steve D had his phone out showing everyone the   
video clip taken and already posted up on twitter by Scott McNeish of the disputed goal.
" Definitely a goal" said Steve.
" Hmmm, I'm not so sure" was somebody else's reaction..
When I got home I put my P.C. on , and did a frame by frame viewing of this incident.
I still don't think it was a goal, but I feel it's nice to get the rub of the green for once.
I also listened back to the radio commentary of this goal as broadcast on " Rebels Radio".
If anyone else does this, I advise you to turn the sound down, as it gets a bit loud.
I didn't and I'm sure my neighbours must have wondered what was going on in our household !
I had read a couple of posts on the Forum just before I left to go for the coach on Saturday morning, and these posts suggested that we should "go for it" if we are playing matches that are level with time running out,as there is a possible chance of reaching the play off positions.
With my manager's head on I thought " Nah."
I'd rather  gain a point than lose a game.
Watching Scott's interview later on Saturday evening, he said exactly the opposite, that we were going to be "going for it" in our remaining games, proving once again if I needed any proof ,that I  would make a crap manager !    
If we are going to be ' going for it" in our remaining games, us Rebel fans could be in for some exciting times ! 
Bring it on I say.
Can't wait for the Bath City game next Saturday !
Come on you Rebels !

When I was doing my 5 laps of the park yesterday, I came across the bloke who does a videoblog for Tonbridge's matches.

I had a quick pleasant chat with him.

His effort for yesterday's match is below.

Not one of his best, but he's got our two goals on it, both obviously taken from the Tonbridge end.

Good coverage of Lenchy's goal.

Our goals are at 2.24 and 11.45.

18 minutes ago, Holyport Rebel said:

So close.
I reckon all ol you on here will think that I would have been delusional and completely wrong, ( almost certainly correct but that wouldn"t have stopped me thinking it ), but I forever would have put Lenchy's cracker yesterday down as an assist by me.
I'll explain shortly.
Quite easy place to get to,the coach parks in a pleasant,quite scenic car park right beside the ground ,and a nice park alongside it too.
We got there early, about 1.30, so as the weather was not bad I decided to go for a walk in the nearby park.
Remembering what happened at Yeovil and Torquay, and my troubles there getting a match programme,my first thought was to make sure that I got one for the game , which the Tonbridge website said would be available at a hut inside the ground.
Having checked with a friendly Tonbridge official on the gate that they would let me back in if I was to come out having already paid, I went through the turnstiles, bought my programme and then went out of the ground, heading towards the park.
After taking a few paces through their car park ,a car parked up in front of me, and a familiar figure wearing a cap got out.
It was Lenchy.
I was pleased to see him, as the last time I saw him was the last minute of the Dartford game when he was crumpled up on the pitch directly in front of me, in what looked like an awful lot of pain.   
" Hiya Lenchy" I said.
" How you feeling after that Dartford game. You looked in a hell of a lot of pain at the end. Are you ok to play today ?" I asked.
He told me that it was extremely painful what happened to him at the end of the game against Dartford , but that he was ok and fit to play today.
I wished him good luck for today's game v Tonbridge, and was about to say something else to him but he had turned around and was  headed off to the players entrance.
My mouth was forming the words, and another second I"d have  said them to him, but I was a split second too slow.
" Another 25 yarder into the top corner like last season would be great Lenchy."
So what happened ?
30 seconds into the game, Lenchy, 25 yards out, hits a screamer into the top corner !
5% of me is thinking, "I don't  flippin' believe it. Why didn't I say that sentance to him earlier. I could have claimed in my mind an assist for it ! "
What a strike though.
Last season we had an incident that was totally unnecessary and uncalled for, when a Rebels fan was threatened with eviction from the ground for no real reason.
Yesterday there was another incident involving one of their security staff and rebels fans.
Thankfully nowhere near the scale of last season', but again totally unnecessary as far as I could tell.
We had proper coppers watching us at Bromley, but they had a bored air about them, as if they'd rather be somewhere else.
The security staff at Tonbridge though are completely different, watching us like hawks for the whole game, waiting ( hoping ?) for something, anything to happen so that they can get involved.
I said last season that their security staff let Tonbridge Angels down, and I'm sad to see that this hasn't changed.   
Anyway,second half we have a couple  of near things, but we enter time added on with the score still 1-1.
I'm sure if there had been smartphones back in 1966 someone at Wembley would have had footage on their phone as to whether Geoff Hurst's shot had definitely ( or not) crossed the line.
"Bonjour" at the ground didn't see our shot hit the crossbar, as he was looking at the linesman to see if he was awarding the "goal".
I was watching the action on the pitch, wishing that somebody in a Slough shirt would just smash the ball into the back of the net !
Not all of the  ball.
Who cares though, the linesman put his flag up to signal a goal and the ref blew his whistle in agreement.
As we piled onto the coach after the final whistle and the celebrations shared with the management and players, ( I enjoy those celebrations nearly as much as I do actually winning the game ), Steve D had his phone out showing everyone the   
video clip taken and already posted up on twitter by Scott McNeish of the disputed goal.
When I got home I put my P.C. on , and did a frame by frame viewing of this incident.
I still don't think it was a goal, but I feel it's nice to get the rub of the green for once.
I also listened back to the radio commentary of this goal as broadcast on " Rebels Radio".
If anyone else does this, I advise you to turn the sound down, as it gets a bit loud.
I didn't and I'm sure my neighbours must have wondered what was going on in our household !
I had read a couple of posts on the Forum just before I left to go for the coach on Saturday morning, and these posts suggested that we should "go for it" if we are playing matches that are level with time running out,as there is a possible chance of reaching the play off positions.
Watching Scott's interview later on Saturday evening, he said exactly the opposite, that we were going to be "going for it" in our remaining games, proving once again if I needed any proof ,that I  would make a crap manager !    
If we are going to be ' going for it" in our remaining games, us Rebel fans could be in for some exciting times ! 
Bring it on I say.
Come on you Rebels !

Wonderful post  as always   keep them coming!

30 minutes ago, Holyport Rebel said:

So close.
I'll explain shortly.
It was Lenchy.
" Hiya Lenchy" I said.
So what happened ?
What a strike though.
Not all of the  ball.
Bring it on I say.
Come on you Rebels !

On the goal HR I don't think anyone could tell if it was over the line unless they were level with the goal line. 

Bizarly it seems the lino gave the goal from the ball striking the post/bar.

As for Scott saying that 'we are going for it' hopefully he didn't mean in a 'gung ho' fashion from the start but more if we are drawing or losing a game.

On that point I'm still not sure if we play better with the two or just the one up front.

Edited by Reading Rebel

17 minutes ago, Holyport Rebel said:

When I was doing my 5 laps of the park yesterday, I came across the bloke who does a videoblog for Tonbridge's matches.

I had a quick pleasant chat with him.

His effort for yesterday's match is below.

Not one of his best, but he's got our two goals on it, both obviously taken from the Tonbridge end.

Good coverage of Lenchy's goal.

Our goals are at 2.24 and 11.45.

He always does a good blog, unfortunately he does it amongst the home support and the noise from the home support is annoying to say the least 😵 😂 

Edited by Reading Rebel

40 minutes ago, Scott Davies said:

You say ‘another’, it’s not something we’ve won before! Plus, have you not seen Braintree and their results?! 

Ive heard winning that can be a jinx too, so would rather not win it if that’s the case! 😅

But yeah, February has been a good month for sure! Thanks Glen 

I’m sure you won something recently, what was that then?

17 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

I’m sure you won something recently, what was that then?

Manager of the week! 

When I say ‘go for it’, I mean at the right times in matches! Yesterday we could’ve been quite reserved and taken a striker off away from home, thrown on a midfielder and taken a point with 10-15 to go, but we felt as though the game was there for us to be bold, and it paid off! 

Time and place when we’ll go for it!