Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Paul Gibbs - the bad penny pops up again

Stu M

Note the bits in bold... Self-opinionated useless twat.

GIBBS SNUBS SHOTS FOR TERRAS CHANCE

by Matt Pitman

Tuesday 27 July 2004

PAUL Gibbs last night signed a one year deal with the Terras and told how it was a case of friends reunited at the Wessex Stadium.

Weymouth, who travel to Taunton Town for a pre-season friendly tonight, beat off Conference National side Aldershot in the race for the 31-year-old former Torquay United and Plymouth Argyle left back's signature.

Gibbs makes the move after short stints at Conference clubs Gravesend and Northfleet and Canvey Island last term.

But the London-based defender reckons linking up again with old pals like Martin Barlow, Steve Tully and Lee Phillips was key to the move.

He said: "I'm delighted to have joined Weymouth - I've really enjoyed the pre-season and in the two or three games I've performed reasonably well.

"I was with Barnsley last season and after leaving there I spent ten months pretty much out of game, just picking my nose and not a lot else.

"I played a couple of games at Gravesend and Canvey after that just to keep myself fit but I didn't enjoy it at either of those clubs, so I walked out.

Determined

"I was determined to enjoy my football again so spoke to a few of the lads at Weymouth who I knew from my Torquay and Plymouth and asked them abut the club.

"They were all really positive so I came down, really enjoyed it and so I'm pleased to have sign ed a contract.

"Knowing most of the lads already was a big factor and there's certainly been no problems settling in from my point of view.

"Although I'm based in London, I absolutely love the south coast and it's great to be back down here - ideally I'd like to move back down this way.

"I've had no qualms either about dropping to Conference South because it is a good standard.

"There are a lot of good players at Weymouth but we know the league is going to be a tough battle this season. You only have to look at some of the other players who we will be playing against to see that."

Boss Steve Claridge admitted he was pleased to have agreed terms with Gibbs.

He joked: "When Paul walked through the changing room door at the start of pre season training, it was like a home from home for him - he seemed to know more of the lads than I did. He got a really good reception, especially from the guys he used to play with at Plymouth and Torquay so he soon settled in.

"The fact he picked us over Aldershot is good news and is a sign we're going in the right direction.

"Paul has performed well in pre season and is another solid and experienced defender added to the squad which I've said all along is what we need."

Meanwhile, Claridge plans to send a mixed team to Taunton's Wordsworth Drive ground for tonight's clash with the Dr Martens Western Division side.

That means likely starts for players who did not feature in the weekend's stalemate against Wycombe Wanderers, including midfielder Ian Hutchinson and defender Simon Browne.

Spanish trialist Joseba Barandiarna is also expected to feature in the Terras midfield. Claridge explained: "Joseba has looked a decent player in the games he has featured so far but I really need to see him in a full game before making a decision on him.

"There's no doubt he's shown one or two nice touches but, like everything at this time of year, it is a question of finances as to whether we will be in a position to offer him anything."

I could tell by listening to him on the Radio that he had a very high opinion of himself, and got the impression that he thought he was too good for our level. Who cares, I still blame him for our Notts County defeat, and as long as we never see him in a Gravesend shirt again I don't care where he ends up

How can he say he didnt enjoy it here he wasnt here long enough to judge and what sort of person walks out without saying anything just because he didnt enjoy one training session still I suspect he will have to carrying on dropping down one or two more divisions to find his true level.

Quote:
James said:
How can he say he didnt enjoy it here he wasnt here long enough to judge and what sort of person walks out without saying anything just because he didnt enjoy one training session still I suspect he will have to carrying on dropping down one or two more divisions to find his true level.

Is that the gutter?