Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Roy and Conkers' views on full-time football

jc

We have to be very careful that we dont dish out full time contracts to some of the current squad just because they may want to be full time pros. The current squad over 40 games has as we have seen not been able to compete with the full time pro clubs as the table doesnt lie. Simply promoting a lot of the squad to full time status in my mind wont make much difference as i dont think it will improve their ability by much. What we need to attract is a better standard of player. Maybe stating the obvious but i would only offer full time deals to:

Pullen, Saunders, Drury, Mccarthy, Omoyimni, Lovell (as he's young and has natural ability). This gives us a spine throughout the team from which to build around, the rest of the squad i would keep part time but gradually introduce better full time pros around the nucleus stated above.

Agree but can we afford to offer Manny a FT salary whilst he spends most of the time injured?

Given a couple more quality players (esp. a striker) I think we could well have made the play-offs this season, even after Fordy's poor run in charge.

Okay, Liam has done his best with the squad he's "inherited" (so fed up with that line) but he hasn't impressed me, so far anyway. Let's hope he can bring in some quality players and get a good start to the new season.

We should go out of our way to help Conkers, or he will be playing for Met Police next term in the same team as Rob Haworth. He has certainly cemented his place in the defence with some sterling performances, and, very importantly is seldom injured.

I would go for for my retained list as follows, with * alongside those who I reckon will want to go full time:

Wilko

Pullen*

Skinner

Protheroe*

Gledhill

Porter

McCarthy

Jackson

Deane*

Bunce*

Saunders*

Drury*

Surey*

McKimm

Groombridge*

Moore*

Essandoh*

Pinnock*

Lovell*

I have got a gut feeling neither Manny nor Siggy will be retained as Liam clearly wants to reinvigorate the forward line, one appears too injury prone, the other too inconsistant (and too similar to style as Roy).

If u have 12 of our current squad on full time contracts you wont get much of an improvement in results next season. Ask any Aldershot fan whether going full time has greatly improved the technical ability of a squad predominatly made up of last years semi pro team and im sure they will tell you no. This is why i feel that the club has to be very selective and only give out full time contracts to a core four of five of the current squad. If u give contracts to all of Chatham Garys asterisk squad how can u ever move these players on? What u are left with if they're not good enough is an expensive contract which the player will just sit on as he's obviously going to be paid more as a full time pro at GNFC than he would do as a semi pro here and the only clubs that would want him if he's not good enough for us would be semi pro teams and my hunch is that he would not be prepared to leave until his contract would expire with us. Chatham Gary im not saying u would give all your asterisk players contracts i was just pointing out the problems of giving out too many contracts.

You misunderstood me, Matt. My asterisked names are simply those players, who, if retained would want to go full time. Whether Liam offers it to them is other matter. Personally, I would like to see at least 5 or 6 new faces at the club, but only if they are better than the players they replace.

For example, I would not grieve to much if we were not to retain MaCarthy, Surey, Roy, Siggy, Pinns and Manny.

Manny is by far our best player, we look a different team up front when he plays, would be a grave mistake to let him leave. And I thought the cause of his injury problems had been diagnosed by a chiropractor? So hopefully he can play more games next season.

Personally share Matt's opinion that the Club needs to be quite ruthless in terms of who they offer full-time contracts. In my view, full-time contracts should only be given to those players with the potential to improve quite dramatically. IMO this would be:

Pullen

Saunders

Drury (Will benefit tremendously from FT football. within 6 months would expect a bigger Club to come in for him. Ability on the ball is far too good for this level just lacks the pace that Jimmy Bullard has, otherwise I'd expect he would comfortably play in a Division 1/maybe Championship side once his had some full-time training under his belt.)

Surey

Groombridge

Moore

Lovell (Not certain he would want to go full-time if he works in City)

In addition, I would expect the following to be full-time simply because they are probably on full-time money now anyway:

McCarthy (Could help Daish coach the players given his experience)

Manny (Quality striker, should be playing League Football)

We should also be looking to retain our better part-time players as the Club has already indicated.

Quote:
Chatham Gary said:
We should go out of our way to help Conkers, or he will be playing for Met Police next term in the same team as Rob Haworth.

As I understand it, once he joins the Police, he doesn't have a choice, he will not be allowed to play for us.

Quote:
David Holden said:
Quote:
Chatham Gary said:
We should go out of our way to help Conkers, or he will be playing for Met Police next term in the same team as Rob Haworth.

As I understand it, once he joins the Police, he doesn't have a choice, he will not be allowed to play for us.

What's the betting that he will be allowed to play for the Met Police side?