Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Finances?

MADEFM

Did anybody else read the non league paper yesterday? It had Gary Roberts qouting we were one club in the league financialy better off? Dont know how this came about? Another reason possible why the youth team shouldnt of been scrapped.

Mad

The youth team has not been scrapped.

St Albans City's "youth team" will still operate in conjunction with Oaklands College as it has done for the past two seasons. This side will play Wednesday afternoons as normal (home games at the College I believe) and will represent the club in the FA Youth Cup.

The only change is that the mid week side run on behalf of the club by St Albans City Youth FC has left due to the reasons outlined by Mr Gibson.

Thats it really. Still say its about time some of you took an interest in this "youth side" because, as I have said in the past, until you do it is impossible to pass any reasonable comment on the potential this has for the club.

Try Farnborough. They have big financial problems.

Ye, but how are the hell are we finacially better off? A few seasons ago we werent even going to exist, thats why I found amusing/intersting. As for the youth I dont really care about them, but its nice to actually see there connected to the club, not just some side line off it.

Hi Mad.

You say that you "don't really care about the Youth", by which I assume you mean that you aren't concerned that the club has ceased its affiliation with St Albans City Youth FC. SACFC will now develop its connection with the Government sponsored [through the national education system] BTec/PASE/whatever scheme for 16/18 year olds which, in our case, is based at Oaklands College, and the football side of the course there is coached by Steve Castle.

There have been various comments made over the last few weeks on other threads by a few people who feel strongly that there are a number of very good reasons to maintain and develop the association with an active and thriving Youth 'set-up' which I wont re-state here. The Chairman's comments to the local press explaining the reasons behind his decision don't make any sense to me, but then, what do I know about anything?

As the end of my youth begins to appear on the distant horizon Mad, I am increasingly of the view that the majority of a group of people whether a country, a community, or those involved with a local sports club will 'get what they deserve', and, with regrets and no little frustration, I believe that the majority of the supporters of The Mighty Saints will get what they deserve too.

Turning to financial matters, Mad, under the previous majority shareholder in 2001 the company that is the football club was on the brink of extinction, suspended from the League, unable to meet its financial obligations and facing a winding-up order in the High Court. At the last minute, the majority shareholding was acquired for £1 by William Verry Ltd which immediately dealt with the then debts.

Since then, I guess that expenditure has exceeded income each season and I guess that the total amount of money 'put in' to support the football club [to balance the shortfall of income] by William Verry Ltd will be of the order of £2/300,000. I do not know whether William Verry Ltd has 'given' whatever the amount is to the company that is the club in the form of 'sponsorship' or whether this has been in the form of 'loans'. Its none of my business, of course.

I didn't see that article to which you refer, but as I said earlier, I imagine that Gary Roberts had in mind that when William Verry Ltd makes a financial commitment, it will honour that commitment and that there is no danger that cheques of the company might bounce. To that extent, the club is 'financially better off' than many clubs in Non League football. Amen to that.

Quote:
The Caretaker said:
Mad

The youth team has not been scrapped.

St Albans City's "youth team" will still operate in conjunction with Oaklands College as it has done for the past two seasons. This side will play Wednesday afternoons as normal (home games at the College I believe) and will represent the club in the FA Youth Cup.

The only change is that the mid week side run on behalf of the club by St Albans City Youth FC has left due to the reasons outlined by Mr Gibson.

Thats it really. Still say its about time some of you took an interest in this "youth side" because, as I have said in the past, until you do it is impossible to pass any reasonable comment on the potential this has for the club.

So, how would people go about taking an "interest" in the youth team? I suppose one option would be to go and watch them - abit difficult when it appears they play on Wednesday afternoons. Most people have a little thing called a job that stops them.

I don't want to be "arsey", but there seems to alot of "people should get more involved in the youth", but very little suggestions on how. Indeed it seems with the current set-up it would be difficult to get involved. Have missed the point?