Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

George Best

A couple of weekends ago, the country remembered those men and women who gave up thier lives fighting for the libertys we all enjoy today. No national minutes silence was co-ordinated at football stadia around the country. George Best was an alcoholic footballer who will be given respect by those fans who remember him the best. Lets take a moment and get things in perspective here.

Quote:
GazzaBTFC said:
I would agree...He had his chance and threw it away...the only sympathy I have is with his family. Sorry, not interested...

Should be interesting to listen to the PA then at 5 to 3 if the club ask you to announce a minute's silence...

It was always the hardest thing I ever had to in my spell on the mic.

Quote:
Nitetime Neil said:
Quote:
GazzaBTFC said:
I would agree...He had his chance and threw it away...the only sympathy I have is with his family. Sorry, not interested...

Should be interesting to listen to the PA then at 5 to 3 if the club ask you to announce a minute's silence...

It was always the hardest thing I ever had to in my spell on the mic.

I will be respectful of the people who want to observe the silence. In the end, the job isn't about what I think, it's about the club and the supporters.

When I first read this thread I was disgusted!

How so-called football fans can concentrate on decrying someone's illness, yes illness is beyod me, especially associated with Billericay who I have followed since the seventies, albeit mostly from afar.

Not posted here for some time so had to retrieve my password etc. by which time I had calmed down, but not enough to stop me trolling thru over 100 club sites and guess what!

You morons have made Billericay Town number one!

The only site I found that disparaged the passing of one of the WORLD'S greatest players.

Sure he carried his demons, but he carried them on his sleeve for all to see.

Apart from that there are a good number of players, including many non-league, who benefited from the fact that Bestie never turned down a Testimonial request. Indeed many times he or his agent called first offering his services!

There is a lot more I could say but I feel it would probably be wasted words!

Remember him for his football, he was'nt English but probably the greatest you NEVER saw!

Disgraced? Yep, I think the man disgraced himself by having no regard for people who donate vital organs for the hope of prolonging life and then wearing his heart on the media sleeve.

He may have been the Worlds greatest football player but sorry, his lack of respect for his own life leaves me cold.

George carried a Doners card!

As I said previously, alcoholism is a sickness where you are not always responsible for your actions.

Another great footballer who trod the same path once wrote of searching thru his garbage early in the morning to find dregs to drink!

Luckily he could take it "One day at a time" Bestie could'nt.

Please remember him for his football.

And next time you are down the Crown or Red Lion remember what "one more" could lead to!

Give my regards to John Mason!

I don't like degrading anyone who has died. George Best was a superb player from what i saw, but the way that he is being celebrated is unethical. Everyone is sad when someone dies, and some take it differently to others, everyone should be able to remember him the way they want to.

I personally think that the media coverage of his death and the way they looked and focused in on what clubs were doing what is a bit tasteless. There is this obsession with stirring up rivalries.