Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

early report-odd jottings

michael

2-2 a fair result.

We were marginally better and did play reasonable football despite awful pitch.

On a decent pitch our better footballl skills would have won the day.

Everyone played fairly well.

team as reported lined up like this:

Egan

Deen,edwards, onovan

Oates YIga Gradley Hiilaire Standen

Hockton Brayley.

It worked quite well.

Pre-match-proper warm up(even warmed up properly again after running out for kick off

we looked a proper team and club today as opposed to a park side like last week

Yiga and Hillaire were good in midfield in first half especially.

Defence looked ok today, despite the slightly dodgy goals.

I've always maintained that JK and Edwards can't play in defence together.

Bill Edwards played well as sweeper -doing what he is good at-clearing the ball, and also his headed clearances were alot stronger.

Standen played excellently at full back-one crunching first half tackle--a fair tackle- but Johny Wilkinson would have been equally proud of it-almost really shook his opponent up.

Dean Standen was a bit lucky in second half to stay on pitch after he raised his hands in retaliation(CK went mad with him).

Donovan played well also-really good defensive display.

Egan looked a bit suspect in first half ,and although did not make any real saves, made two good catches under pressure in second half and grew in stature as game went on.

Everyone else played well.

Forbes possibly come from Bishop Stortford though i am not sure.Fairly quiet last 25 minutes, with a few decent touches,but looked the part,although small in staure.I reckon he will be ok

we did have a few chances in first half-one cleared off line,Bertie had a few shots,and Hillaire had a couple of close attempts.

Bertie scored the second goal,after a flick on.

As Cookie said elsewhere, word is that Shambles has gone .Hallelulah

Overall it was quite a good game,and best i've seen Gate play all season.

At long last, you really do think that it has come together,and although not outstanding, Gradley equally did not put a foot wrong doing simple things right-it makes such a difference as we did not keep giving ball away.I really do think PG makes the players become a team

Thanks for the nice constuctive report MM. Having just read the report on the Slough forum it seems that it was an honrable draw and they have (reluctantly) accepted the sending off. I am peturbed though by Standens death wish mentality of proving that he is a hard man. It has already cost him 1 red card and a few yellows as well.

It seems that on the Slough forum there will be video highlights either tonight or tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing them.

I was also relatively happy with the point - and agree that it was probably a fair result. Thought we looked good going forward, and again fashioned several chances. Brayley and Hockton looked good up front together, and Brayley took his second goal superbly. However, I am afraid I do not agree with the view that Standen played well. He was at fault for the second goal, and you could tell he was playing out of position (although saying that he had a big part to play in the second goal). Gradley looked good in the middle, and Hasim did well at the back. All in all, a relatively good performance, and I am satisfied with the point.

P.s - away support excellent...yet again.

Gate Watcher-think you have the 'wrong man'.

My posts always said that Gradley would make the difference ,and i was desparate to see him back in the side.

Tragic, that he has only played in 4 league games.

If PG had played in say 20 league games and not just 4 , i reckon we would have got at least 10 more points and we would be way up there contending for play-offs.PG would have tightened up midfield and some of those draws or defeats by one goal would have been turned into extra points.

I do not think it can be underestimated what a difference PG makes, just by doing the simple things well and unlike many others, not giving the ball away so much.

he is no superstar, but at this level, he is priceless.

With BB upfront, PG in control in midfield amd CM in goal, you almost have the spine of the team sorted.Just need that one really outstanding defender, albeit, HD,BE and JD all had good games yestreday.

I also thought Standen had a good game a left back ,excepting his 'red mist moment' in second half.

He also had a good game at left back earlier in season, although can,t remember where.

imo i'd put Standen slightly ahead of Allman at left back

we are often exposed to breakways down the left hand side and that did not happen yesterday.

DS made good tackles, a few good headers, and kept his position.Sometimes , you can even have a good game just by keeping your position and not even touching the ball;if it stops the opposition from attacking down that flank.

Standen ahead of Allman.You gone crazy MM? Would you say Charalambous was better than Brayley in midfield? I think not somehow. Even if Standen wasnt one of my least favourites(he is NOT on my black list)I cant see how you can say that,but then again its your opinion so respect to you for that anyway. I was one who doubted Gradleys talent and whilst am still not entirely convinced, the manner in which he came back last week, after so long out, made me think twice.I just couldnt agree that he was the one "saviour" that everyone was talking about on last seasons form.I suppose with the other midfielders we have had he didnt need to do a lot more to impress, but impress he did and therefore though still not 100% convinced I accept that he has done good since he has come back, enforced or not. I assume he had a good game yesterday?

Agree that Hilaire played well in midfield, although when defending corners, he was reluctant to get right into the 'defensive mix' which is what amidfielder needs to do ,and we needed his height to defend corners.

Yiga was also a bit of a positive revelation in midfield i thought