Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Claremont Road

What bulldozers were they then? I didn't see any that day. It's worth noting that at no time did the club state that our game against AFC Wimbledon at the end of the 05/06 season was our last game at Claremont Road as at the time, just as now, we had no idea on when we would be leaving the ground. The local media decided that it was our last game - not the club! We still have no idea who started that rumour off!

To be honest nothing's really changed. We still don't know if or when the sale of the ground will happen. It could be tomorrow, it could be 5 years time. No-one knows.

When the time comes for us to leave, we already have a groundshare agreement in place that has been approved by the Ryman League and the FA. Until we're told otherwise, we'll continue to play at Claremont Road.

And going back to the original point of this thread - for those people who are unaware (and I doubt that is many) at no time did Kentish Town have a formal agreement to use of Claremont Road. The only agreement we had with KTFC was that they could use the ground on a game to game basis if the stadium was available.

Originally Posted By: SteveR
And going back to the original point of this thread - for those people who are unaware (and I doubt that is many) at no time did Kentish Town have a formal agreement to use of Claremont Road. The only agreement we had with KTFC was that they could use the ground on a game to game basis if the stadium was available.

Well that doesn't effect me now, as you may have heard on the grapevine I have severed ties with Kentish Town.
Thanks for your helpful post anyway and for explaining Hendon's position at Claremont Road.

• 2 months later...

I see there is a piece about the fate of Claremont Road in the Non League Paper today:

Hendon are set to vacate their Claremont Road home after 80 years following a takeover by the Club's fans. The Hendon Supporters Trust will take control of the Club from current owners the Arbiter Group at the end of October after lengthy discussions between the two parties. The Arbiter Group remain the leaseholders on Claremont Road and with their rent demands deemed too high by the trust Hendon have been forced to relocate, withe Wembley's Vale Farm home their likely destination. "There a lot of details to be finalised between the two parties and the Ryman League but I can't see anything being a problem" said trust Chairman Simon Lawrence. "We have an invitation arrangement to run the Club's affairs until the formal agreement goes through and we are delighted that the supporters have backed us in such great numbers. Unfortunately this will mean leaving Claremont Road as the lease is way beyond our financial capabilities. It's a shame we can't stay there but we have been aware for some years that our time at the ground would come to a close. Eighty years is a long time but the Club is moving on and this has to be part of that process". Hendon hope to seal a deal with Combined Counties outfit Wembley to play home games at Vale Farm. Lawrence added "The facilities at Vale Farm, especially the pitch, are far better than Claremont Road. We like to play football the right way so the pitch will suit us".

All very sad and I wonder what the Arbiter Group have in mind for the stadium now Hendon have said they are leaving.

Unc - Yes I think that says it all, I hope Hendon spokesperson SteveR comes on shortly to give us his view.

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
Unc - Yes I think that says it all, I hope Hendon spokesperson SteveR comes on shortly to give us his view.

stever is an okay guy rhodsey and its not their fault that things haven't worked out at claremont...they are just hard working long term fans that have tried hard and succeeded in continuing their club after basically being dumped by the owners...its no secret that I don't agree with trust owned clubs but I don't think that these guys had much option....the finger should point elsewhere methinks...

either way... good luck to hendon and its new owners...

Sad news re the departure of Hendon from Claremont Road, but its been on the cards for a few years now.

First Edgware Town become defunct, now Hendon move to Wembley FC, football in this part of NW London is NOT in a healthy state, too many clubs in close proximity, arsenal and Spurs not far away, plus a lack of community spirit is killing the non league game in these parts.

At least Hendon will still be playing football, but whether they prosper or not at Wembley will have to be seen, what odds on Hendon & Wembley FC in the not too distant future?

Gavin - Have you come across this site before, it actually brings a tear to the eye that another historic ground is going to fall victim to the bulldozers:

http://www.kimparker.supanet.com/index9.html

Yes seen that site before, good history site showing just how big Hendon FC were, in fact its only 11 years ago that they dumped Leyton Orient out of the FA cup 1st round at Brisbane Road, 1-0, after a draw at Claremont Road!

They had an excellent season last time out, its just a shame that off the field they have problems that is stopping the club from progressing, I feel that their move to Wembley FC could force Wembley FC out in the same way that wealdstone's move to Ruislip forced them out, hope not though.

Originally Posted By: Barney Rubble
Hendon's 1st game is at Claremont Road with the remainder at Wembley. Hendon likely to get all gate receipts and half of bar takings.

Rumours from Hendon is they will try to take over within 3 years.
Would be a shame as Wembley are a big club and would fit in at a higher level.

So Hendon are going to be playing at Wembley FC THIS season?? Surely Vale Farm is NOT up to Ryman Prem standard...its not up to R1 standard last time I visited!!!!

To clarify a few points,

- We are not taking over Vale Farm, or any lease/freehold. It remains Wembley's ground, and upkeep etc. will remain their responsibility. We will, obviously, be paying a rent for the use of their ground. However, we cannot force Wembley FC out in any way even if we wanted to - the lease/freehold remains theirs.

- Claremont Road is not economically viable for us. Were we to take on the ground with the football team, we'd be saddled with a 7 figure debt. Clearly, the Trust can't afford this, nor the cost of bringing Claremont Road up to the standard it should really be in for this level. Since Arbiter Ltd are unable to fund the club any longer and there aren't any white knights around, a groundshare is the only option that would see Hendon playing football this season.

- There is no plan to take over Wembley within 3 years, or any other time-frame.

Originally Posted By: Barney Rubble
Hendon's 1st game is at Claremont Road with the remainder at Wembley. Hendon likely to get all gate receipts and half of bar takings.

So in other words Hendon play Dartford at Claremont Road on Saturday and then play their next home game against Ashford Town on Bank Holiday Monday at Vale Farm.

Sorry, didn't cut and paste the whole thing.

There isn't actually yet a groundshare agreement. While we're close, the relevant footballing authorities haven't yet given the go ahead. As such there isn't a move date yet. Anyone suggesting otherwise at the moment is jumping the gun. As soon as we know, details will be on the website.

Hendonboy - So you could be left high and dry if Vale Farm goes belly up and you haven't found anywhere else by the end of October. We could even have another Edgware Town on our hands.

That's an interesting one, particularly as Hendon helped Kentish Town out of a tight spot the season before last, Graham Etchel may now want to call in the favour and I'm sure the Stadium can pass for Ryman League Premier Division status with a bit of i dotting and t crossing.

As I said, we're waiting on agreement from the footballing authorities. Speculate all you like, but I'm happy to deal in the facts - We're working towards a formal agreement, and until that's been reached with all the necessary parties, we're continuing to play at our current home.

Rhodes... has Copthall got a new fence around the edge of it now? Has someone built bar facilities that could be used in the last 12 months? Thought not.

Originally Posted By: Hendonboy
Rhodes... has Copthall got a new fence around the edge of it now? Has someone built bar facilities that could be used in the last 12 months? Thought not.

Not my department I'm afraid, you don't seem to be aware that I have left Kentish Town. They have a nice tea bar though which is the focal point of the Club.