Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Are we ready?

Bloodnock

Having seen the Fleet perform recently, and to be fair not in a proper position to base my opinion on, having seen only a handful of matches, what is the honest assessment of fans on here as to our

chances should we gain promotion?

My first concern would be the obvious lack of support were getting even now,when were really up there challenging,is there a lot of support just waiting for us to gain league status? I rather doubt it,any thoughts?

It is a good question and my own view is no, we are not ready for league football. I still feel the Fleet have punched above their weight this season and I do hope they can keep it going. The club does wonders on it limited finances. The crowds seem to stay much the same and you would expect more support for a team in such a lofty league position. I don't get back as often as I would like, and I see the same loyal supporters every time I do venture back. I also feel the club needs to move forward with finding a new ground, up to date and modern, ready for league football. That will not be easy without finance from somewhere. I don't think Gravesham council will be as generous as Dartford's were!!!!! The change to full time status for all players at the start of this season as certainly led to this season's success, and Liam Diash has built a good squad, who all seem to pull for each other. Some teams go a long way on that, so who knows where it could lead. No doubt there will be plenty of other views on this.

:-)

My own view, for what it's worth,is that I hope we qualify for the play-offs, if we don't make it, it's not a tragedy,what would be a tragedy though is if Liam can't keep the main bulk of these players together for next season.

At D&R they have managed to keep the bulk of team together for 2 to 3 seasons and now it's paying dividends.

Qualifying for the play-offs and failing would give these players the taste of a modicum of success, and would hold them in good stead for the future.

What is really needed is to get most of this squad signed up on contracts until 2008, as Luke has done.

Assuming they are salaried, it won't cost the club anything extra, but will give LD the continuity he needs to carry on the work he has started.

What we DO NOT need is wholesale change again this summer with a merry-go-round of trying to build a new team for next year.

The added bonus is that if a big club makes an approach for a particular player, they will have to buy him, rather than pick him up on a free in the summer.

For several games, perhaps. But using Accrington, a side with a similar support base to us, as a model suggests there would certainly be a few crowds around the 1500 mark, and perhaps even a few lower than that for unappealing midweek matches.

As to whether we're ready, one thing is for certain: promotion would leave the board in the awkward position of having to do more renovation work over the next three years on a ground they were intending to leave in the near future.

Personally, I'm loth to consider the incredible possibility that we might be in with a shout of promotion. The dismal way we have tailed off in recent seasons means part of me thinks that we will drop out of play-off contention at any moment. On the other hand, the longer our good form goes on, the more this fear will recede. It's fascinating, and I don't want to miss a minute of it.

Is there a final position payout at the end of the season? Obviously the higher you finish, the more money you recieve. I feel as players we are ready for league football, but not as a club, yet. If we get Charlie signed up for another season I will be amazed! Unless we get promoted of course. If we are going to keep the main bulk of our players, promotion might just be very important.

Originally Posted By: Harry J Allstars
Who cares about being ready?

Indeed. I harbour JC's reservations for the same reasons he explained, but like Harry says, we might not be ready but if we weren't to grab promotion when it offered itself, we might never ever ever again be in the position to do so. Football's about winning, about your club achieving something, and while off-field matters are important, we should never forget that what happens on the field is the reason we turn up season after season.

Firstly, we have to get a top 5 finish,

secondly we have to get to the play-off final,

thirdly, we have to win the final

Still a HUGE amount to do on the field.

As others have intimated, inexperience may be our downfall.

We clearly have the ability to get promoted and we have the desire.

What does seem to be missing is the "professionalism to kill games off (such as Crawley) and to hammer teams out of site when they are a genuinely poor side.

Notwithstanding that, should the luck that has been so evident this season stay with us, I think the club ought to consider some small improvements to the ground to the benefit of the standing supporters.

I would like to see a little more roofing in 2 areas - continue from the main road stand to the corner by the clock, an area which is both a good view and is always heavily populated, and some limited cover behind the goal at the Swanscombe end. Away supporters could stand on the side terrace in front of heir burger bar, freeing up the Swancombe terrace to home fans, as even with crowds of 1500, it gets cramped, with poor views,in the main cover of the road terrace. This is compounded in poor weather as there is precious little cover for standing spectators anywhere else in the ground.

Even if we do not go up this year, we won't be moving to a new ground for 3 years at least, so some improvement work will need to be done if the club is serious in it's hope to increase crowds from the present 1200 to 1500-1800 in the next 3 years.

What do you mean "we have to get to the play off final" and "we have to win the final"??

Wheres the positive attitude??

We're going to catch Daggers & win the League, so no need to bother with the play offs!!

Seriously, whilst that is unlikely, it is still a posasibility & if we hold our form, we could yet surprise ourselves. Daggers have lost their forward, Mackail-Smith & a defender, and they slipped up for the first time for a while on Saturday, so who knows - particularly given Oxford's continuing struggles to win a game.

I think if we can win our 8 remaining home games (yes, I know thats easier said than done) we'll certainly have a play off place and whether that would earn anything more would then depend on the away results.

As has been pointed out before, relatively small changes to the ground such as adding rooves won't dispel the thought in many potential floating fans' minds that the ground is antiquated and has poor facilities. As the saying goes, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear - if it is improved facilities that are going to boost our average attendance significantly, it can surely only be through getting a new ground.

Not forgetting that Morecambe are now panicking over their growing injury list - Twiss is now out for the season.

http://www.shrimpsvoices.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6310

There are still 4 or 5 teams who, if they get a run going will challenge for a top 5 spot, such as Satanage, Exeter, Kiddie,Burton and Aldersh*t.

I'm not saying they will catch us, they won't if we hold our nerve and keep consistent, but my goodness, it is close this year.