Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

FULL TIME - WIVENHOE TOWN FC - ENFIELD TOWN FC

At least we didn't concede and Canvey Island lost while Harlow also drew 0 - 0:

AFC Hornchurch 2 - 1 AFC Sudbury

Aveley 0 - 0 Harlow Town

Bury Town 3 - 0 Canvey Island

Great Wakering Rovers 0 - 1 Potters Bar Town

Ilford 2 - 2 Arlesey Town

Maldon Town 1 - 0 Wingate & Finchley

Redbridge 0 - 1 Tilbury

Waltham Abbey 1 - 3 Enfield

Ware 1 - 3 Waltham Forest

Witham Town 0 - 3 Flackwell Heath

John, Campbell, Magona, Allen, Stephens, Tickner, Velandia, Hall, Crace, Afriyie, Jones, Hammatt, Nyman, Ofori, Gant, Bastian.

Town started sprightly with some lovely skills, from Jonah who looked the entire world like he was ice skating a straight line routine. JJ saved well (x3). A mistake in the town defence almost made us pay a heavy price. At the other end we won a corner and Rudi crossed it inch perfect curling under the bar before Sanders was forced to finger tip it over his bar. Wivenhoe had a corner which gave them a great chance rocket header for JJ to catch well. Wivenhoe replace the first of 3 strikers to be replaced. Nice to have 6 strikers! Wivenhoe have a shot into the side netting. At the other end a nice cross was brought down skilfully for Paul Campbell to volley over the bar. JJ was force to pull off an acrobatic full stretch save to deny Wivenhoe. Owusu made a lovely cross for Ricci Crace to head over the bar. Steve Velandia made a lovely run and completed it with a lovely back flick for Jonah to shoot forcing a save from Sanders.

Second half Dean Nyman on for Jonah. At the other end JJ saved (x2). Paul Campbell shot wide. Ricci Crace shot over after finding himself briefly in a half chance one on one. JJ saved again. Rudi to Steve Velandia to shoot wide. Bryan Hammatt on for Simon Tickner in the midfield. PC shot over bar. Ricci had shot saved. Paul Campbell crosses for Owusu to head and Sanders to save. ETFC in the end beginning to queue up with chances as a Wivenhoe began to tire.

A draw but at least we got something from a disrupted day.

christ,talk about not taking advantage,while it is clear to all and sundry that canveys "management" for one reason or t'other do not want to go up,i thought you towners would at least come back with a fight,sudbury were a good side and you could do well to avoid them in such play offs but the way you and canvey are going you will end up playing harlow and that would be night night

BTW i havent got a clue what i am going on about just thought i would be a bit controversial.Mr happy you are a fat ageing mug and steph,you still owe me 6 quid.Kiss my bottom otherwise as i Love baby lotion

Originally Posted By: brutus
some people are never satisfied a good point another clean sheet and well on the way to the play offs

Agreed a good point, but I cant remember a worse game of football.......Oh yes I can Ruislip Manor & that was this season too!
I believe Nyman should have started out wide with Jones in the middle (where they are both most effective) overall a very poor performance but yes a welcome point.
Onto Aveley on Tues lets hope we can at last score against them at that the 4th time of trying then the big one at Sudbury.

Hello again everyone.

I'm ending my self-imposed exile (back by public demandwhistle).

Forum has been far too quite.No one has taken up the mantle of actually discussing tactics/formations/whats actually been happening on the pitch..etc,so i feel obliged to contribute (if maybe only temporarily).

So here goes:

Performance yesterday was way below the standards required of players wearing a Town shirt.The level of control,composure,and 'purpose' was terrible.A draw against a mid-table team is never a 'good point'.At best it is an adequate point,and more like another wasted two points.

OK,so Wivenhoe are on a decent run of form but that doesn't excuse the lack of quality and entertainment from ourselves.How many of our players performed at anywhere near the level that they are capable of??Whereas the Wivenhoe defense looked to be at the height of their game.

JJ was good,but he was the exception.Tickner or Magona may fit well into the team,but playing both is always likely to result in a somewhat 'ugly' overall display.Dave Allen also seemed to be competing with them for who could miskick and scuff the most hacks at the ball.Campbell and Velendia,two players i rate highly,must concede that they both played poorly yesterday.At present Rudi is only worth a start because of his leadership qualities and his expertise with the taking of penalties and free kicks.The talented Crace now seems more sulky and willing to pull out of a 50/50s,than when he was partnering Hammett.Owusu is lightweight yes, but must feel that his fellow teammates are deliberately avoiding passing to him.But its probably more a case yesterday of his teammates inability to kick the ball straight.Nyman looked lively when coming on as sub.

Jim must also be questioned for his formation and selection.Our most 'complete' right footed central midfield player (Jones) demoted to playing Left wing.Our right footed centre-back (Tickner) constantly being dragged out into a Left back role.Whilst a naturally left-sided player (magona) is placed as a spoiler in centre midfield.

Its perplexing.We have a talented squad who rarely perform at their best and who rarely string a sound 90 minutes together,let alone two or three sound performances on the trot,but who are and have been consistently near the top of the league every single season.That suggests that if our talented players AND talented manager could find a way of performing at their best more often,we could be winning leagues rather than being there or there abouts.

Ps..We always seem to struggle a bit at the start and near the end of the season.Our purple patch always seems to centre around the 'wet' winter when playing surfaces are softer and quicker.As soon as we play on harder bumpier pitches,we need a split second longer to control the ball or need another touch and teams find it much easier to shut us down and nulify our game.Solution? maybe to be a more flexible in switching style of play to suit conditions (maybe a big target man up front,or at least to have on the bench)

Deja Vu anyone?

Well I think we normally **** up when arriving late at a ground so 1 point is one more than we normally get on these occasions.

Secondly Wivenhoe have in the past been a boggy team for us - Steve Wignall is no mug - he know how to play us!

I still think a good point well won on a yuk day for travel.

Originally Posted By: lovely stuff
Hello again everyone.

I'm ending my self-imposed exile (back by public demandwhistle).

Forum has been far too quite.No one has taken up the mantle of actually discussing tactics/formations/whats actually been happening on the pitch..etc,so i feel obliged to contribute (if maybe only temporarily).

So here goes:

Performance yesterday was way below the standards required of players wearing a Town shirt.The level of control,composure,and 'purpose' was terrible.A draw against a mid-table team is never a 'good point'.At best it is an adequate point,and more like another wasted two points.
OK,so Wivenhoe are on a decent run of form but that doesn't excuse the lack of quality and entertainment from ourselves.How many of our players performed at anywhere near the level that they are capable of??Whereas the Wivenhoe defense looked to be at the height of their game.

JJ was good,but he was the exception.Tickner or Magona may fit well into the team,but playing both is always likely to result in a somewhat 'ugly' overall display.Dave Allen also seemed to be competing with them for who could miskick and scuff the most hacks at the ball.Campbell and Velendia,two players i rate highly,must concede that they both played poorly yesterday.At present Rudi is only worth a start because of his leadership qualities and his expertise with the taking of penalties and free kicks.The talented Crace now seems more sulky and willing to pull out of a 50/50s,than when he was partnering Hammett.Owusu is lightweight yes, but must feel that his fellow teammates are deliberately avoiding passing to him.But its probably more a case yesterday of his teammates inability to kick the ball straight.Nyman looked lively when coming on as sub.

Jim must also be questioned for his formation and selection.Our most 'complete' right footed central midfield player (Jones) demoted to playing Left wing.Our right footed centre-back (Tickner) constantly being dragged out into a Left back role.Whilst a naturally left-sided player (magona) is placed as a spoiler in centre midfield.

Its perplexing.We have a talented squad who rarely perform at their best and who rarely string a sound 90 minutes together,let alone two or three sound performances on the trot,but who are and have been consistently near the top of the league every single season.That suggests that if our talented players AND talented manager could find a way of performing at their best more often,we could be winning leagues rather than being there or there abouts.

Ps..We always seem to struggle a bit at the start and near the end of the season.Our purple patch always seems to centre around the 'wet' winter when playing surfaces are softer and quicker.As soon as we play on harder bumpier pitches,we need a split second longer to control the ball or need another touch and teams find it much easier to shut us down and nulify our game.Solution? maybe to be a more flexible in switching style of play to suit conditions (maybe a big target man up front,or at least to have on the bench)

Deja Vu anyone?

Good to have you back LS, and a good post could not agree more.

Originally Posted By: Rhymenreason
Well I think we normally **** up when arriving late at a ground so 1 point is one more than we normally get on these occasions.

Secondly Wivenhoe have in the past been a boggy team for us - Steve Wignall is no mug - he know how to play us!

I still think a good point well won on a yuk day for travel.

What an earth has arriving late at a ground got to do with it? I know it's an inconvenience but it happened, so why try to make excuses. Just remember that there would have been some people who never reached their destination yesterday and never will.

Forget bogey sides. Concorde used to be one of those until Smithy hit four past them. If you believe in bogey sides, and cannot get past them at each hurdle, then surely you need to look at the tactics you previously used against them and learn from those encounters.

Originally Posted By: Sponsor of Beer
Maldon appear not to have applied to be considered for promotion, and will be excluded from the playoffs (in favour of the next applicant) if they finish in the top 5.

IMO it's not always the best preparation for a final. A similar situation occured last season in the Conference South when St Albans City went straight into the Final v Histon because Lewes failed to get their ground grading approval.