Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

AWK will like this one

Holland have some nice grounds

some great pictures AWK. Can you find one of the mighty Olympic Stadium in Serraville, San Marino.

Don't know what the unique feature of the ground above is. It looks a bit asymmetrical though.

Great pics of Serraville, looks better than I remember it.

Any more clues on that ground you asked us about.

Ecuador...must be at high altitude. (as a side track funny how because Brazil and Argentina complained FIFA can declare that any ground above 2500m is not suitable for football thereby meaning Bolivia and Ecuador can't play home games in WC Qualifying yet Mexico who are slightly more influencial in World football circles but is 2200m above sea level is declared okay. Funny how that ban also doesn't apply to Bolivian league games where some teams play very near to sea level and others are at high altitude.)

But back to the question..something to do with volcanoes?

had another thought...does the ground have an half in each hemisphere as the equator runs through it.

Thats interesting Lato, I remember Boliva getting some shock results which many put down to the altitude they played at but I didn't realise that the likes of Brazil and Argentina had complained about it and got it banned.

Nothing to do with volcanoes mate, why is Ecuador called Ecuador?

Originally Posted By: AWK
Thats interesting Lato, I remember Boliva getting some shock results which many put down to the altitude they played at but I didn't realise that the likes of Brazil and Argentina had complained about it and got it banned.

Nothing to do with volcanoes mate, why is Ecuador called Ecuador?

Brazil lost a qualifier 2-0 there in 1994 which was the first they had ever lost. Argentina I think lost in the last qualifying tournament as did Brazil. What really kicked it off though was a Copa Liberdores (sic) game this season where a Brazilian team that might have been media darlings Flamengo lost to a Bolivian side and it caused outrage in Brazil.

Strange that this perceived advantage has only caused Bolivia to qualify for 2 World Cups since 1950 and Ecuador also for 2.

There is an article about this in the July issue (number 245) of rhodes's favourite magazine When Saturday Comes.

Great fact about the Ecuador ground, keep the photos coming AWK. I too love the Faroe pictures and hope for Poland to be drawn with them in WC2010 qualifying to get there.

Yes I remember the Brazil defeat in 94 well, their was a lot of fuss about it at the time and was seen as an impossible result, the great Brazilians losing to the minnows of Bolivia. A very good point about the perceived advantage, if it does give them the edge then surely these results would have been more common place and led to more qualifications for both Bolivia and Ecuador.

Maybe England could claim that playing in South Africa in the next World Cup is unfair as it will be too hot for our players! Thats IF they qualify of course!!

I'm sure their is a similar ground in Brazil that I found on Goggle Earth (my comp stopped working and I haven't been able to find it since). It was next to a monument claiming to be on the equator line, but as it turns out with today's GPS tracking systems that the monument is slightly in the wrong place and the line doesn't go through the ground which is a shame.

The Ecuador ground though has it going through just to one side of the halfway line, meaning that if one side has pushed forward then quite conceivably you could have the attacking teams keeper in a different hemisphere to the rest of the players.

Do you go to watch Poland a lot Lato?

thats a great concept about the Keeper AWK.

I've been watching Poland since 2002 and have so far been to 11 games in San Marino, Belfast, Cardiff twice, Brussels, Wembley twice as well as Katowice, Warsaw twice and Kielce in Poland. I fortunately missed the abhoration in Armenia last month and I can't get to Portugal but might go to Helsinki in September.

Originally Posted By: coupwotcoup
Better ask Rhodes for his Tom Tom laugh

Don't you mean Eagles1981, perhaps AWK should post some pics of Cranfield United, Stony Stratford Town, Buckingham Athletic and Winslow United for his benefit.