Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Will Hoddesdon drop points ...

What does Cheshunt Reserves success say about Div 1? They were good in the Reserve Division last season, but not that good! Have they improved, or is Div 1 poor?

We do not have any 1st team players playing for us.

We have a new manager this year and mostly new players, who have gelled as a unit and enjoying their football.

I think that the standard of football is pretty good at this level, in fact, from what I have seen, it does not seem a whole lot different from the BGB leagues.

To back up scaff and answer your questions, horace & eagles

Eagles

Our team is made up of the reserves who were deemed good enough for this level from last season, we then brought in several players from other clubs, some were released from stevenage football academy some left ryman div 1 clubs, such as Ware & Waltham Abbey to come and play in an effort to eventually play 1st team football in the BGB Premier.

Horace

Having spent most of last season watching ryman 1 level, there is not a great deal of difference between that and the Spartan Premier & even the top 1st div sides. Don't be fooled into thinking that cheshunt reserves are just a reserve side, they are treated and play like any other 1st team. They could all move on mass to any club and play 1st team football. Yeaterday we had three 17 year olds, two 18 year olds & three 19 year olds playing, apart from our experienced goalkeeper(32), our oldest player is 24.

We are only reserves in name!

I am sorry to read the match report on the HTFC website.

The strong-arm tactics that were employed by their team and management, clearly designed to upset the Cheshunt youngsters, did not work.

The good comments given to us at the end of the match have now been distorted, in my view, to try and give a reflection of bad refereeing, and bullying by the Cheshunt management.

As I said earlier, HTFC are a good footballing side, but their severe lack of discipline may yet cost them the league.

Come on HTFC, don't go down the path of so many other clubs.

Be honest with your match reports, you will be thought of much better if you do.

Scaff

I haven't read the HTFC report but despite Cheshunt being young, I heard that they are no saints!

Sergio Saraiva was out for almost two months after the challenge he received on his debut where he scored his first goal! SLB finished with 10 men because of it!

Having watched BTR and Cheshunt Res, there is a mile of difference between the two sides. Both are fairly young and have some good players. I know that Bedford Town will NOT allow their first teamers to drop down as they think it's below them. The Cheshunt lads have a huge carrot of first team football at a high standard, knowing that their first team manager is struggling and so is his side. There are several Cheshunt res players who are plenty good enough for their first team and given that they are really struggling at the moment, it can only be a matter of time before they get the call up.

I also have to say that Cheshunt's players, although young , are not totally against getting stuck in. The games that I have watched them play, they have been a little fortunate to have ten men on at the end of the game. They can be cocky and arrogant, knowing that they are close to first team football probably causes it. They are a good team though so the result isn't a complete surprise.

One of their players threw a punch at me and their centre half was so mouthy I thought he must have had tourettes!!!!

So for their manager to ask a ref to offer his players some protection is just a joke.

My manager doesn't say to the ref - can you take it easy on my centre midfielder please - he is 35.

I managed to see a majority of this game...it was a bit fiesty as you would expect from 2 teams at the top of the league...but despite the ref and assistants being poor they got most right in the game...I know aaron quite well and he isnt a nasty player but I like everyone in the ground thought it was a red card...I also had a good view of cheshunts first and it was def 'on' side...I was impressed with cheshunt they have alot of good young players there...they are obviously well coached and play the right way...they fully deserved the 3 points...Hoddy def had an off day although the game may have turned out diff had they converted the pen...I was a little puzzled by their substitutions but its their first loss in the league so no need to hit the panic button

Cheshunt will surprise a few teams. I certainly think they will have players stolen by other clubs from the leagues above them in the next year or so. That's the problem with being a reserve side, other teams are always looking for up and coming players who can slot straight in. And, reserve players would always prefer to play for a first team rather than reserves.

I'm pleased to see Hoddesdon up there. They are far better than the likes of Stony Stratford, Kentish Town and Harringey Borough. These clubs feel that they have a divine right to be in the Premier. It most certainly doesn't work that way. Hoddesdon are run in the right way by a very good management team. This is not a dig at the other clubs by the way, but simply an opinion from an informed football custodian.

Whilst i regularly view this forum,the regulars will know that i rarely respond to anything people may say about our club. However when i see someone say that we feel we have a divine right to be in the Premier and in the same sentence say this is not a dig i am left compelled to reply. No-one who knows us would suggest that we have ever believed that we have a divine right to play anywhere let alone the premier division.We enjoy being in the league and hence our continued participation in it. Where we play will be determined by the strength of our team. If we are good enough to go up then so be it. If not then we will remain where we are and that does not diminish our enjoyment of non league football.We have good friends in the Premier and obviously would like to meet up again. However , this season we have made good friends with other clubs and it has genuinely been a pleasure to meet these people. We do not consider it beneath us to play in Division 1.

Furthermore i agree that Hoddesdon looked impressive and outplayed us 3 weeks ago and deserve to be in the driving seat but there are half a dozen decent teams in this division and time will tell who the best 2 are who go on to gain promotion.

Originally Posted By: thespursfan
Do you know if the club has any ambition to get promoted? Yours, on behalf of Rhodes.....

As I've no doubt you have been watching closely, you will have seen that Haringey recently recruited former Ilford and Redbridge manager Alan Fenn - hardly the action of a chairman with no ambition for promotion. It was a provocative question in the best traditions of the Rhodester himself!

mugabe sugar ellis bates said

"However when i see someone say that we feel we have a divine right to be in the Premier and in the same sentence say this is not a dig i am left compelled to reply."

This is not a dig but if you ever do feel that you have a divine right to be in the premier, someone should warn Gordon Brown sharpish.

thanks Horace but I thought the sugarellis poster could have taken the opportunity, particularly in a current Rhodes free forum, to say if he thought the club had any promotion ambitions.

We hear a lot of clubs with five year plans to be conference etc, but rarely does a club say we will play at a level where our team can compete, and enjoy doing so.

Whilst I am against spending money you havent got, in sport its strange to hear of anyone not wanting to improve or progress.

I admire those players who are loyal to a club or manager, but I'm surprised a club would settle for what its got. If you stay still you go backwards?

Apologies Mugabesugarellisbates, I guess it was a bit of a dig, but not at you. I haven't forgiven Rhodes for accusing me of stealing from your changing room. I do read other items of interest though and have seen bits and pieces about the dream of Chairmen. The Stony thing was about building new changing rooms, although they are on a flood plain.