Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

AFC Wimbledon - Club Honours?

Serious Sid

AFC Wimbledon are a much better team than I thought. When you read the Club Honours in their Programme it seems they were League Division 4 Champions in 1983 and won the F.A. Cup in 1988. Other club honours go back as far as 1901.

I suspect many of these Honours are also detailed in MK Dons Programmes. Surely these Honours only belong to one team?

Can someone please explain how a "breakaway" team can lay claim to football Honours earned more that a century before their own existence? Maybe the Cuckoos know the answer? laugh

Oh, and before the Cuckoos start chirping, Hornchurch FC and AFCH are the SAME Club.

I have baited them for years over this and a few of them turn very very spiteful and vicious over it.... devil

but...... take an objective viewpoint...

they are told their club is to be moved to crystal palace after sam bails out with the readies and dumps them...then they are told they are being moved to MK and indeed the club does move....a long old journey to be fair....

several of them decided to reform and do so and the rest we know about.....now I have no time for some of the whinging arrogant tossers amongst them who are so far up their own arses they look backwards when they walk but I do believe that the vast majority of them should be pleased at the resurrection of a wimbledon club and have a right to be quietly proud of what they have achieved in a few years....we saw that for ourselves on saturday...

as for the silverware...well most if not all of those fans there on saturday were at wembley when they won the fa cup and they claim the rest through geographical association and name....I aint got a problem with that...it seems as tho' MK dons want their own independance and history and in any event we would do the same.........we have...!!! grin

a few with major chips on their narrow pinko shoulders let the large majority down imo....but you have to take your hats off to them...

To be honest, I personally don't agree with claiming the honours for AFCW. However, some do feel strongly about it and as it does nobody any harm then it doesn't bother me.

The fact that the honours have been returned by MK Dons to Merton Council and that MK Dons are happy to think of themselves as a new club says it all for me. I'm only surprised they've kept the 'Dons' - this will probably be quietly dropped in time. Sooner rather than later I hope.

Originally Posted By: TRS
To be honest, I personally don't agree with claiming the honours for AFCW. However, some do feel strongly about it and as it does nobody any harm then it doesn't bother me.

The fact that the honours have been returned by MK Dons to Merton Council and that MK Dons are happy to think of themselves as a new club says it all for me. I'm only surprised they've kept the 'Dons' - this will probably be quietly dropped in time. Sooner rather than later I hope.

the first part of your post went quite well and then you lapsed into moke/ghost mode and ruined it.....they are the original dons club and there is nothing you can do about that....they have had the sense to accept that the trophies belong in the boro....a little magnanaminity from you lot would perhaps go a long way...

might be wrong but I have a feeling that you guys are afraid of peer pressure and have to publicly follow the party line...

Originally Posted By: Uncle Urchin
the first part of your post went quite well and then you lapsed into moke/ghost mode and ruined it.....they are the original dons club and there is nothing you can do about that....they have had the sense to accept that the trophies belong in the boro....a little magnanaminity from you lot would perhaps go a long way...

might be wrong but I have a feeling that you guys are afraid of peer pressure and have to publicly follow the party line...

Not at all. What still surprises me is that people really think Winkleman wanted to be the saviour of Wimbledon FC. He didn't, he wanted league football in Milton Keynes (the easy way). That's why he's changed the name, changed the strip, changed the badge, dispensed with history. He'll want to drop the 'Dons' as much as me, just needs to find a quiet moment. He'd have taken any club he could there - we were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

You may be correct in saying they are the carcus of the original Wimbledon FC, but to suggest that means anything to Peter Winkleman is misguided.

Originally Posted By: Serious Sid
Do any of the old Dons fans support MK Dons or do they have a completely new fan base? Didn't they used to run coaches to Milton Keynes for old Dons to watch the new team?

I think when they first moved they probably had approx 300 WFC fans follow. Some stopped going when the name changed, some when they felt they were being pushed out etc. My guesstimate now would be 50 tops still going and even that could be on the generous side. When the move was first proposed, we all got a glossy brochure through the post with plans for the stadium, reduced season tickets in the initial years and travel plans. I don't think they had enough demand to actually run coaches. They did start running a coach from MK to Selhurst before they moved, but rumour has it some used it to nip into Croydon to do some shopping before the return journey laugh

They're growing a local fanbase there and would probably attract 15-20K in the Championship. I didn't doubt there may have been a market for it, but that wasn't really the point.

He'd have taken any club he could there - we were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

crikey you have lost it now TRS......firstly it was the samtheman that shafted you and winkleman and scarpered with the money and sent you down the drain....winkelman is just an easier target and to attack samtheman attacks the thoughts of sunnier days...your team went to MK and you chose not to follow it there......you started a new one.....well done...full credit and doing well......but you lot don't actually understand that no other fcker cares.....and also there is a subjective arguement that a true fan would have gone with their team...

trouble is you are not a NL club and you are not a league club either......in due course when it all finds its natural level I suspect that you will be a poorly supported lower league club who may well disappear into obscurity in the leagues and these heady days of resurrection and joy may well be a cherished memory never to be had again...

most of you are decent guys.....why the fck you wanna preach to NL folk who struggle to survive let alone compete with you and who either don't care or resent your success is beyond me..... confused

by the way thank you for your sensible comments in 'support' of the lovely nette this morning on the isthmian forum.....I do love a couple of keyboard forum cowards who never said boo to a ghost on saturday..... grin

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who has a good word to say about Sam Hammam! I appreciate most people don't care - to be fair I am just answering/debating points raised in this thread, but i'll draw a line....

no need to draw a line as I understand the emotions but they have to be tempered with reality and an acceptance that others exist.....

I know sam well and he did what he did for the club and then cashed in...he did so because he knew that ultimately the fans didn't care about him.....just his monetary support...he was disallusioned in the end

anyway it goes around in a circle.....I was impressed with what I saw on saturday and genuinely wish you well but also saw what the future may hold.....a grip is needed in my humble opinion...

but the best of luck anyway and don't forget that you have to come to us on the last day......now that could be very very interesting and if it pans out to be so then I don't have to tell you how motivated I personally will be after comments made to my lovely nette today on the idiots forum....

crikey....you arrive needing a win for the championship....a win for a play off.....?

ha ha ha...the old Unc may well have to dig into those ill gotten offshore accounts.... Incey is an old old friend and may well have some very useful loanees available....grin

Poor old Sam. Anyway, maybe we should agree to disagree as usual!

I think most sensible AFCW fans realise to be an established Blue Square Prem side or maybe League 2 is the likely heights. Of course, we may never reach them.

As for the last day - no chance of the league as Chelmo have already crowned themselves champs laugh

Hopefully, we'll be qualified for the play-offs. Who knows it could be you lot needing a win to qualify? Could also be a dress rehearsal for a play off semi. Or totally meaningless.

I am surprised that you are affected by what one or two say on an internet forum though, from someone so forthright.....

Originally Posted By: Uncle Urchin
I have baited them for years over this and a few of them turn very very spiteful and vicious over it.... devil

but...... take an objective viewpoint...

they are told their club is to be moved to crystal palace after sam bails out with the readies and dumps them...then they are told they are being moved to MK and indeed the club does move....a long old journey to be fair....

several of them decided to reform and do so and the rest we know about.....now I have no time for some of the whinging arrogant tossers amongst them who are so far up their own arses they look backwards when they walk but I do believe that the vast majority of them should be pleased at the resurrection of a wimbledon club and have a right to be quietly proud of what they have achieved in a few years....we saw that for ourselves on saturday...

as for the silverware...well most if not all of those fans there on saturday were at wembley when they won the fa cup and they claim the rest through geographical association and name....I aint got a problem with that...it seems as tho' MK dons want their own independance and history and in any event we would do the same.........we have...!!! grin

a few with major chips on their narrow pinko shoulders let the large majority down imo....but you have to take your hats off to them...

Pretty much as good as an explanation anyone could give.

Just missed the wuffta and commie :-)

Basically, the supporters who formed the Club claim a "moral" right to be the continuation of Wimbledon FC and mk dons (intentional lower case) has agreed that they have no claims to the history of Wimbledon FC and they are a new club formed in 2004.

If they don't want it, we do.

Unc is correct. Morst of my friends who were supporters of Wimbledon FC back in 1988 were at Wembley seeing their Club win the FA Cup. Milton Keynes was then only a faraway dream in Charles Koppel's disturbed mind.