Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Club acquired by website

David Holden

i understand that people are upset, i would too if it was my club but only until i investigated it further, seems to me that the real problem here is team selection, but just to make my point again, and im sure liam sees it this way, is that there is practically no way that his suggestions will be voted against by a majority of 20,000 people, now if people just came out and said i dont want my club to grow, maybe climb leagues and lose its identity then id say fair enough, but then arent you just settling for second best, whatever club is taken over, and its not even definitely this one, the myfc thinking is that its the fans club and we're there to make sure it remains a fans club and grows the way fans would want their club to grow

Ello. I'm a MyFC member and thus I suppose a new part-owner. I've read some of the postings in this thread and thought I'd offer my penn'orth...

I'm a Kingstonian supporter and proud to say I've visited G&N in the past.

It was my experience as a Ks fan that lead me to join MyFC. As many of you will know, Ks has been shafted in recent years by Rajesh Khosla a w*nker who cared nothing for the club - he sold it to AFCW, trousered a profit of £2m, and f*cked off. Ks did not see a penny of his profits.

At the time, we tried to form a Supporters' Trust to buy the club but we lacked the numbers/money to make it a reality.

Personally, I don't think I'll ever vote for a player, or a tactic, or a change of manager, or whatever. I'll be happy to be one of the 51%, the silent masses, who will support your club ('our' club?) with a little bit of money, to ensure that money-grabbing b*stards like Rajesh Khosla can never again asset-strip a club with 100+ years of history for a moments personal greed.

I understand why some of you are upset - I would be (at least) worried if it happened to Ks. I hope we can get along together and I hope our investment helps the club in the future (I read that your current Board are none too popular anyway).

Mebbe I'll come and see a game one day (Ks get knocked out of Cup comps pretty quickly these days!). Who knows, mebbe I'll buy a scarf or a shirt too?

Good luck to you/us all. I hope it works out.

Originally Posted By: finisterre

Good luck! I must admit I'd be worried if it were my team, but that's only natural. I admire the idea of 'fans' running a club, but hope it doesn't all go wrong.

I think the idea of fans running their clubs is a great one.

This is something completely different. The fans of Ebbsfleet are effectively being ignored, and trampled on

1) Consult the Supporter's Trust on if the name should revert to Gravesend And Northfleet. The change to Ebbsfleet doesn't sound the most popular thing the current board have ever done

That is the most sensible comment I have seen all day!!!

Still don't like the idea but at least you are talking sense my friend

This isn't about our name. We may not like being called Ebbsfleet but we've had enough time to get used to it and continue to back the team.

I don't like the sound of this move, but what else was there left to try and help the club grow, we seem to have tried everything else?

Maybe we should try and remain calm and see if there are differences in attendances and money taken in the club shop.

No matter what happens, I will always support the Fleet and that might mean being open to new ideas!

Originally Posted By: clowntown
What's the Directors Box like at Stonebridge?
I'm assuming it's not going to be big enough for all of us that want to come down.
Is there going to be some sort of rota to get a place or is it first come first served?

this is the quote of the day so far....tears are rolling down my face.... biglaugh

A sensible post Matt, but the whole thing goes against the ethos of football.

You may support Spurs, but may want to go and watch a smaller team that hasn't been taking over the whole Premier League hype machine. So you go to your local non-league club. You stand, its great, you have some good banter, a pie and bovril and its all good. You decide to go again and again...and so on. Point is you need to build some empathy with a club to support them, its the way its always been.

Save your £35 and instead go to Stonebridge Park for a couple of games and see if you like it. If you don't want to do that, then I question why you would even consider the MyFootball thing unless you think it is another football simulation game.

Reject Frankenstein's marriage and go and watch some football instead.

Originally Posted By: Aaronl

1) Consult the Supporter's Trust on if the name should revert to Gravesend And Northfleet. The change to Ebbsfleet doesn't sound the most popular thing the current board have ever done

That is the most sensible comment I have seen all day!!!

Still don't like the idea but at least you are talking sense my friend

I agree, and from an unknowing party, why did they change the name to begin with?

Originally Posted By: Chatham Gary
Thanks Matt, one of the most constructive posts yet.
The main thing I don't like ids the team selection by a 20,000 committee.
That is wrong.

Just plain wrong.

I'm hoping it's more like the Head Coach (and at least he's got more control than some people with that title, don't let me get onto clueless Sporting Directors and the like) putting forward a suggestion to the membership, and the membership endorsing or not endorsing that selection. Transfers should work the same way as well.

The entire theory of the wisdom of the crowds (which is a theory set out by a financial journalist - there's a good section on the book at Random House's site here), suggests that a large, diverse, knowledgeable (I can't see anyone putting £35 into this without being a big football fan) and easily polled group of people should make good decisions. That ought to stop Ebbsfleet ending up with the lower league equivalent of Darren [****!!****] Bent (oh yes, let's sign a fourth [****!!****] striker who's worse than all three existing strikers instead of shoring up the defence or midfield, perfect [****!!****] sense).

It's definitely a first in terms of a website being used to bring people together for something like this, but hopefully it's a change from faceless corporations or egomaniac businessmen taking over clubs.

Originally Posted By: thegaffer
LETS BE HONEST

who the hell are Ebbsfleet

This experiment has a great chance of taking a tiny little club to heights it would never have had a chance of.

I'm delighted with taken over a nothing club because then there is the thrill of building it up. And as a club run by football fans, hopefully we can move away from the corporate sell that that has occured at high end league clubs.

Ebbsfleets existing fans should welcome the huge interest there will be in the club.

However now myfootballclub is involved it is us who are the club and existing fans can can involved like we are, and if they dont like it, it really doesnt matter.

well done you plank, how would you feel if people came on to your clubs message forum and said what you just said?? oh btw im a myfc member

When I paid my £35 to MyFC I was expecting it to go towards a club such as Halifax or Northwich - be part of the white charger rescuing a doomed club. Also I have no great interest in picking the team - I suspect that the website will ensure that the manager's (or coach's) decision is always final - as it should be.

Reading the various comments on this forum I am concerned that MyFC are unwelcome visitors and could cause a potential breakaway to occur. To me this would be the worst solution and totally defeat the point of paying money in the first place.

Personally I feel that Ebbsfleet's supporters should get the final say on this takeover. MyFC will be putting a considerable amount of finance in to the football club but at the end of the day if the club's existing fans do not want it then it should not proceed.

James

Ps: Whatever happens I totally agree with the sentiment about the club being called Gravesend and Northleet.

Originally Posted By: MattWPBS
That is wrong.

Just plain wrong.

I'm hoping it's more like the Head Coach (and at least he's got more control than some people with that title, don't let me get onto clueless Sporting Directors and the like) putting forward a suggestion to the membership, and the membership endorsing or not endorsing that selection. Transfers should work the same way as well.

That's my understanding of it, although I know it's been stated that members can also suggest transfer targets. Daish will file a report on the week's training with his recommendations, I believe, which will then be voted on.

obviously a s@#t stirrer

Originally Posted By: Mr England
Originally Posted By: thegaffer
LETS BE HONEST

who the hell are Ebbsfleet

This experiment has a great chance of taking a tiny little club to heights it would never have had a chance of.

I'm delighted with taken over a nothing club because then there is the thrill of building it up. And as a club run by football fans, hopefully we can move away from the corporate sell that that has occured at high end league clubs.

Ebbsfleets existing fans should welcome the huge interest there will be in the club.

However now myfootballclub is involved it is us who are the club and existing fans can can involved like we are, and if they dont like it, it really doesnt matter.

well done you plank, how would you feel if people came on to your clubs message forum and said what you just said?? oh btw im a myfc member

Originally Posted By: MattWPBS
That is wrong.

Just plain wrong.

The entire theory of the wisdom of the crowds (which is a theory set out by a financial journalist - there's a good section on the book at Random House's site here), suggests that a large, diverse, knowledgeable (I can't see anyone putting £35 into this without being a big football fan) and easily polled group of people should make good decisions. That ought to stop Ebbsfleet ending up with the lower league equivalent of Darren [****!!****] Bent (oh yes, let's sign a fourth [****!!****] striker who's worse than all three existing strikers instead of shoring up the defence or midfield, perfect [****!!****] sense).

Ok can we have him back?

I am very worried about this, what the H... is going to happen to the best team to play at Stonebridge Road, ever in its 51 years, Charlton Reserves?

No but on a serious note i hope this works out for you all, Fleet and webbies.

If not atl east you will get a bit of cash.

Originally Posted By: Mackster
A sensible post Matt, but the whole thing goes against the ethos of football.

You may support Spurs, but may want to go and watch a smaller team that hasn't been taking over the whole Premier League hype machine. So you go to your local non-league club. You stand, its great, you have some good banter, a pie and bovril and its all good. You decide to go again and again...and so on. Point is you need to build some empathy with a club to support them, its the way its always been.

Save your £35 and instead go to Stonebridge Park for a couple of games and see if you like it. If you don't want to do that, then I question why you would even consider the MyFootball thing unless you think it is another football simulation game.

Reject Frankenstein's marriage and go and watch some football instead.

That's the thing Mack, I don't see this entire thing the same as I see supporting Spurs. I can't see how anyone can claim to have two equal teams. There's an opportunity for me to spend £35, know that the vast majority of it's going to go directly into helping a team, and then actually have some small influence on it. If it meant I could vote for the club to invest more in summer schools in the local area, or more in youth training, or cheap admission on certain nights, then it gives more satisfaction than spending £15 to go see Woking (side point at the end, probably boring to most *). This seems to me that the major difference for the fans between a limited company taking over a club, and the MyFC setup taking over a club is that one's doing it to make the members money and the other's doing it purely for football.

* we moved around a lot when I was younger, so I don't really feel the allegiance to any particular local area that some do, especially not as I'm only close to Woking because of work. Who knows, maybe that's symptomatic of greater movement in society and the like? I'm a Spurs fan because my Dad took me to a match at WHL when I was about 9 or 10. Saw Nayim and the rest beat Liverpool and it's gone from there.

TRANSFER SUGGESTION

Charlton reserves play their games at your ground.

I think we (the new owners) should think about getting some of them in on loan for the rest of the season once the takeover goes through.

Could one of you G&N fans go to their next game and make some suggestions of who to sign and I will post your suggestions on the MyFC forums.

Cheers.